Can I retro- fit my '16 Camry with a dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure would make me happier.
grin2.gif

My question being why did you even buy a car you couldn't check the oil level? First thing I'd look for on a car oil and ATF check if it wasn't there the dealer could keep it.

Last edited:
No place for a dipstick that I'm aware of. Doesn't bother me. I've performed one ATF service on my 15 camry. Drained out 2 qts, put 2 qts in.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My question being why did you even buy a car you couldn't check the oil level? First thing I'd look for on a car oil and ATF check if it wasn't there the dealer could keep it.

Now get off my lawn, dang whippersnapper.

Old. New car and something new to complain about, two birds with one stone.

I think your new car options are going to be severely limited when you start looking.

Originally Posted by Audios

I think your new car options are going to be severely limited when you start looking.

This! I do wish our FJ had a dipstick. It's still serviceable. Just more time consuming. Fortunately I have access to a lift.

No I'm not limited their sales opportunities are limited. My Corolla's running fine I don't need to be in the market for just any piece of junk they shove in front of me!

He drives a 2004 and 2006. He can find plenty of newer cars with a dipstick.

transmission dipsticks are seldom accurate, so I'm ok with it not being there, as long as it still has the tube where you can add fluid
smile.gif

Honda is the only one that actually knows how to make an accurate transmission dipstick, but their automatic transmissions are made differently, and you check the ATF with the car OFF

There are videos on youtube on how to set the correct fluid level on Toyota tranys without a dip stick. The temperature of the oil plays an important part in getting it right. Apparently the level changes significantly with change in temperature. So even if you could install a dip stick you would have to take the oils temperature into consideration to get an accurate reading.

I'm with Leo99 on this. Make sure your car is level and a 2 qt drain and fill is good. I did this 2 times on our 11 Camry. I'm pretty sure the volume difference between hot and cold fluid is about 1/2 qt. I did mine in moderate temps with transmission and new TF at ambient temperature.

On my Fords you have to undo the fill plug then suck out what you can get, usually 4-5 qts. Then pump in the same amount you took out. Do it cold, with careful measuring. Do it every 10k miles (after 30k ) and you're good to go probably till you die.

No I'm not limited their sales opportunities are limited. My Corolla's running fine I don't need to be in the market for just any piece of junk they shove in front of me!

Unwitting humor just slays me...

I have a 2016 Camry.
The owner's manual says to "check" the transmission fluid at 100K miles.....no service is called for.
I took mine to the dealer had had a fluid EXCHANGE done at about 50K miles.....about $200
The tranny is pretty reliable (2016 is after the torque converter shudder issue that there was a TSB for).
Not having a dip stick or easy way to add fluid is something to get used to.
Apparently this transmission is quite sensitive to fluid level, so getting it right is important.
$200 sounds like a lot.....but every 30K to 50K (or whatever interval you may choose depending upon your vehicle usage) is not really that much when the job is done RIGHT.
There is a internal filter that IS a REAL filter, not just a nylon screen like my 2003 Sienna had.
I would guess......that in normal usage, that filter will be fine for at least 100K miles.

Yes you can service the sealed units but there is a dance you need to get right. They moved away from dipsticks and seal them was to prevent moisture making it into the ATF - there was definetlya very good reason to close it out

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Yes you can service the sealed units but there is a dance you need to get right. They moved away from dipsticks and seal them was to prevent moisture making it into the ATF - there was definetlya very good reason to close it out

IMO, the dance is only for professionals that are working on transmissions that have elevated temperature ATF. If the ATF in the car and the replacement fluid are both at ambient temperature, no need to dance. Just measure what came out and put the same volume back in. The hardest part was building a funnel to replace the fluid. The fill hole is inside the wheel well. Need a long gooseneck funnel which I haven't seen for sale anywhere. I used a regular funnel and tubing.

Originally Posted by wiswind
I have a 2016 Camry.
The owner's manual says to "check" the transmission fluid at 100K miles.....no service is called for.
I took mine to the dealer had had a fluid EXCHANGE done at about 50K miles.....about $200
The tranny is pretty reliable (2016 is after the torque converter shudder issue that there was a TSB for).
Not having a dip stick or easy way to add fluid is something to get used to.
Apparently this transmission is quite sensitive to fluid level, so getting it right is important.
$200 sounds like a lot.....but every 30K to 50K (or whatever interval you may choose depending upon your vehicle usage) is not really that much when the job is done RIGHT.
There is a internal filter that IS a REAL filter, not just a nylon screen like my 2003 Sienna had.
I would guess......that in normal usage, that filter will be fine for at least 100K miles.

I'd say it's fine forever. I have no plans to change mine out unless the tranny is showing symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back