2015 Forester rear brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked on RA and did not see any self adjusting hardware for the parking brake shoes. So the rotor should just pop off without having to do anything with a star wheel?

Any issues of major rust since you are in Upstate NY? Did you spray a little penetrating fluid in the two bolt holes prior? Do you have the two bolts to use in those holes to get the rear Rotor loose from the hub?

Im my experience some times with rear brakes you get lucky other times those rear shoes hang up on the rotor or drum.

Just keep the parking brake down. Its just like any average car with rear discs. Bring a big hammer to remove the rotors. I did brakes all around on my '16 Forester last winter at about 37k.

Piece of cake Nice videos on you tube.

Why rotor replace ? Should be good after you knock some rust off.

Rotors should be 100K or 1 pad replacement unless they are garbage and the Subaru are not.

Suabru rear brakes are way undersized and wear out faster than fronts IME. Just like Honda Civic..

I know we've discussed it before with later model Subarus, but the rear brakes do seem to take a beating on them. The rear rotors and pads were shot on my 2016 Forester after 2yrs and ~40K miles. The rotors took some banging to get them off, but they loosened and pulled right away from the parking brake shoes no problem. I think I used Advance/CarQuest coated rotors and wear-ever pads.

Originally Posted by Donald
The rear brakes need doing but the car is for sale. I have Akebono pads but am hoping to get the rotors turned. We will see.

Are the rotors scored or rusted ? If not, just do a pad slap and then sell it. Or, admit the rear brakes are worn, and give the buyer the new brake pads in the box ...

That's not part of the parking brake hardware kit?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Piece of cake Nice videos on you tube.

Why rotor replace ? Should be good after you knock some rust off.

Rotors should be 100K or 1 pad replacement unless they are garbage and the Subaru are not.

Suabru rear brakes are way undersized and wear out faster than fronts IME. Just like Honda Civic..

The one thing I was disappointed on on the 2011 Fusion I had were the rear brakes- bought car at 19k, rear pads & rotors were metal on metal at 46k. Replaced with AAP rotors and Motorcraft pads; those lasted to 88k. Everything else other than a precautionary thermostat & serpentine replacement at 100k was still original to the car when sold at 136k- front pads and rotors still had plenty of meat and no grooves!

Originally Posted by Donald
The rear brakes need doing but the car is for sale. I have Akebono pads but am hoping to get the rotors turned. We will see.

They dont need turning.

Just knock the lip off with a file and a stone.

Dont even remove them from the Hub.

Remove and wire brush the factory clip on stainless shims.

Jeepers, decent brakes don't need this much rabid attention.

New rotors at 40k is stupid.

this is a $30 two hour shade tree job

C;mon guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back