2016 WRX that P.O. spent $28,000 on engine build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi

Sorta. Having a kid. Didn't want to have a car note. Went to his bank to pay it off.

Spent $28k on a car not worth that much in June, and is now worried about car payment on said car? I've wasted money before, but that is an impressive level of stupid.

crazy2.gif

OP I wish you the best of luck in unloading that thing.

Blast it - enjoy it. Good deal! Get it ALL out of your system - AND THEN sell it before you take a hit like the other guy......or fall in love with it.

If you don't mind me asking what was your bottom line on the car? Ok the original owner dumped 28 into motor, what did you get it for? And as long as the car wasn't thrashed, and wasn't more than motor that suffered and rest has clean bill of health, should be able to drive it for a bit and break even. Depending on what you actually spent.

The shop invoice could be faked to make it look like a ton of money was sunk into the car and the owner was taking a raw beating selling for what he did when in fact the work didn't cost near that. Fraud is everywhere. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that were the case. Im not saying a rebuild wasn't done, just the chance the costs on invoice are artificially inflated. Just a possibility.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
The shop invoice could be faked to make it look like a ton of money was sunk into the car and the owner was taking a raw beating selling for what he did when in fact the work didn't cost near that. Fraud is everywhere. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that were the case. Im not saying a rebuild wasn't done, just the chance the costs on invoice are artificially inflated. Just a possibility.

I was thinking the same too, then I realized they are using the same software I used when I was a service writer.
It's a reputable program meant for smaller, indy shops.
Speaking of shops, the one mentioned on the invoice gets a solid 5 out of 5 stars on Google.

So unless there's something REALLY underhanded going on (photoshopping method of payment, work done and reviews on Google) I would have to conclude it all seems to add up.

How much is a wad of money? Why would he want a Spark?

I paid $29K brand new for my 2014 WRX Hatch. Good car for the most part. Too much throttle/turdbo lag. The 2-3 synchros took a dump May-June this year. Never missed a shift, always clutched. Toyota dealer gave me $20K trade in as is against a 2019 Tacoma. I enjoyed the car for 5 solid years. Didn't do any expensive mods, caster kit, bigger a-sways, and an anti-dive plus stiffer bushings.

Tacoma mods on the other hand........seem endless. In a good way. Fun though.

Originally Posted by Pablo

How much is a wad of money? Why would he want a Spark?

I paid $29K brand new for my 2014 WRX Hatch. Good car for the most part.

Still a good bit under retail value for stock. He didn't want a Spark as much as I wanted to sell mine. I contacted HIM on his CL ad which mentioned trades and we worked out the deal. Had minimal action on the Spark for 2 months so this was a quick way to get rid of it and get something more fun.

Is there a post of the pics of the car? I didn't see it. You flip cars, so it's something you like to do.

Personally, I would be avoiding that car like the plague.

My god did they take him for a ride, what is this a 55 hour engine re build? A used motor, stripped down and built, would have been half price. The nerve of those guys to get 3$ hazardous fee and a half hour in diag after selling a 29k job!!!

Originally Posted by Audios
My god did they take him for a ride, what is this a 55 hour engine re build? A used motor, stripped down and built, would have been half price. The nerve of those guys to get 3$ hazardous fee and a half hour in diag after selling a 29k job!!!

New high strength block and internals. A used motor won't handle that level of power.

Hope it was an EJ motor.
too much money. Sounds very irresponsible.

But - hope you got a good deal, but it wont be worth more than unmodded unless you get the right
silly kid
smile.gif

Hope the Trans and mounts are good.

People get as emotionally attached to base WRX's in the way the rest of us on here get attached to two doors with LS engines, R34 Skylines BMW M3's and M5's and any Audi that runs and has S or RS in the name. Yeah it makes no sense to more conventional car guys and gals but there are plenty of the younger generation(s) that would rather drop $18--22k on a worked WRX then on a clean Z06 Vette or a 10,000 mile LS2 6 speed GTO that has been pampered and has 80% life still remaining. Yeah I don't get it either.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

I was thinking the same too, then I realized they are using the same software I used when I was a service writer.
It's a reputable program meant for smaller, indy shops.
Speaking of shops, the one mentioned on the invoice gets a solid 5 out of 5 stars on Google.

So unless there's something REALLY underhanded going on (photoshopping method of payment, work done and reviews on Google) I would have to conclude it all seems to add up.

It's hard to say, without knowing all the details, which nobody but the shop knows.

What you're describing sounds similar to a guy I know/thought I knew: He was (supposedly) a mechanic, started a website dedicated to one specific bike, and cultivated a reputation as a purveyor of high performance work for that bike. I was a member of that website. Then I met him in person, helped out in a racing effort he was a part of, and became a Moderator on his website spending considerable time answering questions and helping to keep the website running smoothly.

Then people who had paid substantial sums of money to have bikes built or modified, started complaining about the poor quality of work done, or not done at all. Eventually the house of cards collapsed.

I'm not saying that's the case here. But after my experience with the 'bike builder and website owner', I always take claims which are outside the norm, with more skepticism.

Originally Posted by GZRider
People get as emotionally attached to base WRX's in the way the rest of us on here get attached to two doors with LS engines, R34 Skylines BMW M3's and M5's and any Audi that runs and has S or RS in the name. Yeah it makes no sense to more conventional car guys and gals but there are plenty of the younger generation(s) that would rather drop $18--22k on a worked WRX then on a clean Z06 Vette or a 10,000 mile LS2 6 speed GTO that has been pampered and has 80% life still remaining. Yeah I don't get it either.

I can get dumping stupid money into a car because you love it, but what I can't wrap my head around is deciding less than 6 months later that the car payment is the thing to worry about? Maybe they lost income or something, but that is still just crazy to me..they probably could have fixed and paid off the car (or bought a different one) for what they spent going full tuner brah just a few months ago. Now they're rolling in a Spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back