High Oil Consumption need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Honda fit that seems to consuming oil. Every two weeks I check my dipstick it is at the half mark. I live in the Caribbean where the temperature is hot. I experimented with alot of different oils mainly synthetic blend and full synthetic . I even used 20w 50 to top it up and it still consumes the oil. I have no obvious leaks, no smoke, and vehicle performs just the same. The weird thing is that no matter the amount of kilometers I travel the oil is still at the half way mark after two weeks. any recommendations? Also I checked 3 mechanics and they didn't recommend engine overhaul only to top it up and watch it

Originally Posted by Henus
Also I checked 3 mechanics and they didn't recommend engine overhaul only to top it up and watch it

That's what I would do. $10 a month for oil (plus you don't need to change it anymore) vs. thousands for engine work on a $5,000 car.

Assuming you are checking the oil in the morning before driving it, and on level ground each time, you could try this:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...mium-blue-restore-10w-30-in-a-honda-2-4l
which is something very serious which dissolves carbon on the piston rings since its a common issue with some 6+ year old engines.

But before you use that stuff---->

You mentioned it was always at the halfway point on the dipstick. Does it continue to get lower on the dipstick, like below halfway to the lower line or other mark on the dipstick? It is perfectly safe to run the engine halfway on the dipstick, no problems with that. It is fine, as long as it doesn't get much below the lower line, like 8 mm below the bottom line, no lower than that, estimated. (The oil pickup is very low in the sump.)

Also, do you ever see bubbles on the dipstick right after running it at the full line? Bubbles indicate it is hitting the crankshaft, which would cause some oil consumption, and means it is over-filled there. I mention that in case the wrong dipstick, of the wrong length, maybe from another Honda, was accidentally put on the engine at some point.

Originally Posted by paoester
Assuming you are checking the oil in the morning before driving it, and on level ground each time, you could try this:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...mium-blue-restore-10w-30-in-a-honda-2-4l
which is something very serious which dissolves carbon on the piston rings since its a common issue with some 6+ year old engines.

But before you use that stuff---->

You mentioned it was always at the halfway point on the dipstick. Does it continue to get lower on the dipstick, like below halfway to the lower line or other mark on the dipstick? It is perfectly safe to run the engine halfway on the dipstick, no problems with that. It is fine, as long as it doesn't get much below the lower line, like 8 mm below the bottom line, no lower than that, estimated. (The oil pickup is very low in the sump.)

Also, do you ever see bubbles on the dipstick right after running it at the full line? Bubbles indicate it is hitting the crankshaft, which would cause some oil consumption, and means it is over-filled there. I mention that in case the wrong dipstick, of the wrong length, maybe from another Honda, was accidentally put on the engine at some point.

Always top it up once it reaches there never observed to see if it gets lower. And never yet observed bubbles.

Always top it up once it reaches there never observed to see if it gets lower. And never yet observed bubbles.
It might stop going down at the halfway point. Maybe! I remember Nissan told their GTR owners a while back to always race the car with oil halfway on the dipstick, not full, since they saw it sloshed too much and consumed more oil the more full it was.

Originally Posted by paoester
It might stop going down at the halfway point. Maybe! I remember Nissan told their GTR owners a while back to always race the car with oil halfway on the dipstick, not full, since they saw it sloshed too much and consumed more oil the more full it was.

Good idea considered that once but afraid to do so...dnt want to take any chances.

I had a 4 cyl dodge minivan that would burn oil from the top of the dipstick to halfway in a couple hundred miles and then it wouldn't burn a drop in the next few thousand miles. It took me a while to realize this as I would usually try to keep it full so I was always topping it off.

Good idea considered that once but afraid to do so...dnt want to take any chances.
I do that too. Checking it once a week is probably often enough to catch it getting too low. An engine can probably get 2 quarts low (in a 5 quart sump type engine) without losing oil flow and pressure.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
I had a 4 cyl dodge minivan that would burn oil from the top of the dipstick to halfway in a couple hundred miles and then it wouldn't burn a drop in the next few thousand miles. It took me a while to realize this as I would usually try to keep it full so I was always topping it off.
I've heard that. Like Henus, I've rarely tested it since I'll top it off in a hurry if its down much. We can call it the "Nissan GTR Effect" since Nissan says: "Engine oil maintenance
. When the vehicle is delivered, the
engine oil level is 0.39 in (10 mm)
below the H mark on the engine oil
dipstick for optimum high performance driving. The engine oil can be
filled up to the H mark if not engaging
in performance driving."

Last edited:
If it stops at halfway no mater how many miles you drive, why not keep checking it without adding oil for a few days. Just wait and see how long it takes to get to the add mark.

Originally Posted by JamesBond

I've had a couple engines that did this, too. Just had to watch it closely for a few hundred miles...

SInce you're burning, save the money and use a conventional/blend and try a HiMi formula, it's not going to hurt and just may slow down the consumption.

Also, don't know if Top Tier gas (Google it if you aren't familiar) is a thing where you're at but I'd use a high detergent fuel along with a good system cleaner that has solvents and PEA every 3k miles. With that much oil burning it's likely you're experiencing excessive carbon buildup on combustion related parts and that's no bueno.... You want to keep that to a minimum.

Last edited:
Every two weeks I check my dipstick it is at the half mark.

Sounds like a lot of Toyota and Honda engines I know...

Do diesel flush, check the gaskets, run some synthetic oil with a high dose of ester in it to fix/swell seals. And if none of that works, then keep it topped up!

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Every two weeks I check my dipstick it is at the half mark.

Sounds like a lot of Toyota and Honda engines I know...

Interesting, I have owned (8) Honda and (3) Toyota automobiles going back to 1983 and have not experienced oil consumption issues in any of them?

OP - for the reasons mentioned above, try running it with the oil level between low and high and see if it continues to drop. I had an issues once, believe it was a Honda (?), where the low and high marks on the oil dip stick did not match up with the actual oil sump level...between the low and high marks was actually full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back