GM Certified Mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a new GM car/truck do you have to have a GM Certified Tech change your oil/oil filter OR the engine warranty is voided??? My friend was just saying that they have to take their 2018 Buick SUV to the dealer to have the oil changed. I asked why. He said they said it has to be done by a GM "Certified" tech OR it voids the engine warranty.
I say BS. It's just a scam/out right lie to get you into the shop to up sell you something.
Right? Wrong?

They were possibly scammed. There is a magnason moss act. However, many dealers offer that warranty forever thing. That is not a manufacturers warranty and to keep it in force you have to use dealer overpriced service, on their schedule which is usually the severe service schedule and often some additional services not recommended by the mfg.

Rod

Last edited:
You don't need to go to a dealer for maintenance - Magnuson-Moss Act forbades that.

Some dealers are pushing oil changes for life or a "free" lifetime powertrain warranty that's worthless on the condition the selling dealer does all the maintenance and pushes MOC/BG/Wynn's snake oil on you.

Long time GM buyer here. You got it right - he's talking to the wrong folks.

Never a bad idea to keep proof on when it was done and what was used. Dexos for example - but that's really easy to find.
I also never exceed my OLM and take 3 or 4 photos during/after my oil change. (mainly for me, but it might come in handy).

I don't even use the two free oil changes.

If it is one of those scammy "lifetime engine warranties" given through the dealership, the wording for those is typically every oil change has to be done by that dealer to keep the warranty valid.

Originally Posted by yugrus
I'd like to see that certified top-of-the-shelf flat-rate mechanic doing the oil change...

It happens, If it was slow.....I'd grab an oil change! Usually a truck so the front end actually got greased correctly. But....Yes, We had hourly Lube Techs that took care "Express" oil changes.

If I had to do any engine work that required a LOF or the customer requested a LOF along with other work.....I changed it. Never bought into the "I'm too good to change oil" philosophy. The mechanics that acted like that were usually hacks that "Tested" their way into Master Technician status.

Funny story of us policing our own.....If we caught a Master do something dumb, ASE patches got ripped off a sleeve real quick & collected as trophies. Only took a few months for the Shop Foreman to get reamed for letting it happen
grin.gif

Originally Posted by oldhp
On a new GM car/truck do you have to have a GM Certified Tech change your oil/oil filter OR the engine warranty is voided??? My friend was just saying that they have to take their 2018 Buick SUV to the dealer to have the oil changed. I asked why. He said they said it has to be done by a GM "Certified" tech OR it voids the engine warranty.
I say BS. It's just a scam/out right lie to get you into the shop to up sell you something.
Right? Wrong?

They can require that but then it must be done at no cost.

But otherwise they can require it to be maintained using oils and filters that meet a certain spec and a certain OCI but cannot require a GM Certified mechanic to do the work. You can do it yourself.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Long time GM buyer here. You got it right - he's talking to the wrong folks.

Never a bad idea to keep proof on when it was done and what was used. Dexos for example - but that's really easy to find.
I also never exceed my OLM and take 3 or 4 photos during/after my oil change. (mainly for me, but it might come in handy).

I don't even use the two free oil changes.

Very smart 4wd ^^^^^^^

Time stamped pictures is a good idea.

I would just let them change the oil if they have such a bs reason, then go home and dump and fill with what I want. Screw that. Ya I know if you have to pay for the service it's a kick in the bag, but I want to run what I want to run. My last brand new vehicle they had this rule, but I also had free oil changes included. So I went and appeased the warranty gods....went right home and dumped it, and filled, no need to change filter as they took care of that. A waste no doubt. But hey, if something went wrong my rear was covered cause I bought in for a change on their watch.

The local Honda dealer has my stepdaughter convinced that she needs to bring her new car back there for EVERYTHING. I gave up trying to change her mind. They've taken her good a couple of times.
She's college educated with a masters degree and she's this gullible.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
The local Honda dealer has my stepdaughter convinced that she needs to bring her new car back there for EVERYTHING. I gave up trying to change her mind. They've taken her good a couple of times.

Unfortunately the framed sheepskin on the wall doesn't automatically confer common sense-it takes education at "Real World U." to get that. I'm slowly fighting the same battle with my oldest, hoping he's figuring it out...

All I can say is that I have heard that GM can be a real pain to deal with regarding power train warranty repairs, they want documentation that you performed oil changes. Know a guy who owns a 2015 Silverado - he's a master tech at the dealer - and he gets his oil changes done at the dealer (just to document it). I thought that was kind of crazy but he said he's not taking any chances and that he's seen GM deny warranty repairs in the past because of this. I was a little depressed to hear this because I perform all of my own work and I don't exactly keep paper receipts (I am now but I already have 40,000 miles on my truck, changed the oil every 5,000, yet only have paper receipts for two oil changes).

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by NYEngineer

Unfortunately the framed sheepskin on the wall doesn't automatically confer common sense-it takes education at "Real World U." to get that. I'm slowly fighting the same battle with my oldest, hoping he's figuring it out...

My inlaws finally stopped taking their 96 Corolla back to the dealer for everything and started using the local garage for repairs. They always used the dealer for service since they started driving. They finally saw the light and switched when they turned 77 years old. My point is that there's hope your kids will see the light. But it might take a little while.

About going to the dealership for "everything", I've done it sometimes when I thought the repair was complicated and I wanted a factory trained technician who has done it few times in the past. For simple stuff you could probably use any shop with a reasonable hope they won't screw anything up. I DIY oil changes since they are easy.
Originally Posted by Railrust
they want documentation that you performed oil changes....... he's seen GM deny warranty repairs in the past because of this.-----I perform all of my own work and I don't exactly keep paper receipts
Blackstone or other oil analysis can act as a good record, should GM etc. ask! And, you get informed about basic oil health too of course. Adds value to those Oil Analysis costs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back