Got a 2016 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just traded in the '95 Cougar for a 2016 Nissan Altima at Lithia Dodge in Kennewick, WA. Has 76,000 miles on the 4-banger, but, runs smooth, shifts well, and looks brand new. Also have a warranty & lifetime synthetic oil changes for it.

They use Pennzoil synthetic at the dealers. It's run great in my Explorer. Any Nissan owners out there have any opinions on it? Also, what's a decent change interval on these?

20191011_135906.jpg

Congrats.
Keep the tranny CVT fluid changed on a regular basis and you'll be fine.
I love my car and the smooth/quiet operation. Great highway cruiser with a very supple ride around town over broken pavement.

Originally Posted by paoester
Lots of lawsuits on that Nissan JatCo CVT.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/jatco-cvt8ht-reliability-nissan-lawsuit.shtml
http://www.lemonlawcase.com/problem-vehicles/nissan-cvt-problems/
Some of them have extended warranties so check for that.
It has left a lot of rent-a-car customers stranded or in trouble over the last few years.

I actually added an extended warranty to cover the next 125,000 miles, so, I should be good for a bit. I do know about the issues the CVTs have had over the years. Some like it, some don't. As long as it takes me where I need for a while, it's all good.

Congrats. I image most owners never experience any CVT issues. Take care of it, and it should take care of you.

Originally Posted by Puckrobber
Just traded in the '95 Cougar for a 2016 Nissan Altima at Lithia Dodge in Kennewick, WA. Has 76,000 miles on the 4-banger, but, runs smooth, shifts well, and looks brand new. Also have a warranty & lifetime synthetic oil changes for it.

They use Pennzoil synthetic at the dealers. It's run great in my Explorer. Any Nissan owners out there have any opinions on it? Also, what's a decent change interval on these?

Those Altimas can get really good gas mileage, not sure about long term reliability. On a side note my dad bought a Dakota at the same dealership, that was nine years ago.

You will love that car.
Did anyone say, "Service that CVT?"

Do it now; 4 quart spill and fill. Then do it again next OCI.
You will feel the difference.
You can buy a CVT dipstick off ebay from an earlier car.
I like Valvoline and Castrol fluid.

I like the color; sharp. Clean...
Great driver's car to boot.

I drive these at work. They are great cars. A lot of people have trouble getting used to the cvt but i really like the low rpms you can get. Those altimas are very quiet and the ride is smooth. If you are easy on the gas you can drive almost exclusively under 2000rpm. Fuel economy i have gotten averages around 40-42mpg via dash display.

Thanks all for the advice! I will be checking on the CVT fluid. Noticed it also uses 0-20 oil. First car I've had that uses it.

[/quote]Those Altimas can get really good gas mileage, not sure about long term reliability. On a side note my dad bought a Dakota at the same dealership, that was nine years ago.[/quote]

Funny enough, I originally went there to look at a used Dakota. Ended up getting the Altima instead.

Yes, 0W20 synthetic is the recommended oil. However, the owner's manual also states that anything(dino/blend/syn)5W30 & 10W30 can also be used. The owner's manual mentions nothing about 5W20 but, I am using that right now in fact. I like Quaker State oils in my Nissan's. Keeps'em quiet!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't worry about it. Other post here mentioned 287,000 troublefree miles on an 08 Altima.

Impressive if that's the original CVT.

I hope to get 300k out of my Altima 6spd.

OP, I think you'll be fine if you're diligent in maintaining the CVT.

My daily commuter is an 05 Altima, currently with 190,000 mi. This QR25 has had regular OCI's every 5 to 6k as well as regular ATF drain and fills every 30 to 40k. I put about 3,000 mi a month on it commuting to work. Hoping to get 300k + out of the car, although i believe the Jatco AT is the weakest link. The engine should treat you right if you take care of it.

I sold my 2008 Altima 2.5 SL a few months ago with 127,000 miles. Ran beautifully without a hiccup. I promptly bought a fully loaded 2019 Altima 2.5 SL AWD - what a dream machine! It's my fifth Nissan and I always found them to be comfortable and reliable cars.

[Linked Image]

Thanks all! Hope to enjoy it for miles to come. Unfortunately, it didn't even start this morning! Don't know if it's the key fob (only have one) or the car itself. Called the dealer. They had it towed to their garage, and they'll look at it on Monday. Got a 2018 Jeep Compass for a loaner until then. Sad, but, I still like the Altima!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Looks great in that color and don't worry about what people say. Seems like Nissan gets nearly as much hate on these forums as Fiat or Smart.

I hear ya. I've had half a dozen Nissan/Datsuns over the years. Occasional minor issues, but, nothing death-defying. Loved 'em all!

Originally Posted by Puckrobber
Thanks all! Hope to enjoy it for miles to come. Unfortunately, it didn't even start this morning! Don't know if it's the key fob (only have one) or the car itself. Called the dealer. They had it towed to their garage, and they'll look at it on Monday. Got a 2018 Jeep Compass for a loaner until then. Sad, but, I still like the Altima!
thumbsup2.gif

Any warning lights or messages on the dash?

Was probably a rental if it only came with one FOB? I went through the same thing with my (ex rental) 2016 Nissan Quest, but the dealer bought me another FOB and programming thru a mobile key service they use. It's quite the ordeal to get that done on a later model Nissan. The key guy had to plug two computers into the car to program the new FOB. Probably be a $300 dealer charge for an OEM FOB and programming.

I do like Altimas in terms of seating comfort and driving dynamics over many others in this class of vehicle. Not as sturdy and solid as a Camry, but nicer to be in and drive.. To me anyway.

There was a "Key Not Recognized" message that showed up. Reading the Nissan forums, the fobs have this issue often. Surprisingly, you can still start the car, even if the fob battery is dead. Just have to know the secret hacks. Hopefully, it'll get taken care of. And yes, it was a rental for the first year and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back