Rotella T6 + LM Oil saver in BMW e46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I want to switch from my current Castrol 0w40 to Rotella T6 since it has been shown to be so good in the M54B30 engine. At the same time I want to put in some Liqui Moly engine oil saver. Will this combo be too thick?

Cheers,
fanatic

Not a BMW guy but why switch? Also what viscosity T6? Is the car high mileage? Is that why you want to use the LM? Seems like a waste of money to me, Edge 0w40 has a lot of approvals and seems hard to beat.

Switch because Rotella T6 is highly recommended on e46fanatics and my OCI is coming up, and because it has more detergents than Castrol 0w40. T6 is 5w40. I want to add the LM oil saver cause I have a bunch of dripping oil leaks that I do not want to pay 1k+ for and don't want to do myself either (at least RMS). LM oil saver seems to be highly recommended without downsides. Edit: Yes, high mileage, I have 250k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fanatichuman
Switch because Rotella T6 is highly recommended on e46fanatics and my OCI is coming up, and because it has more detergents than Castrol 0w40. T6 is 5w40. I want to add the LM oil saver cause I have a bunch of dripping oil leaks that I do not want to pay 1k+ for and don't want to do myself either (at least RMS). LM oil saver seems to be highly recommended without downsides. Edit: Yes, high mileage, I have 250k miles.

It does? What are the detergents in oil and how do you compare?

Originally Posted by Fanatichuman

I personally don't think you will see a difference. I guess it will not hurt anything but at most I think it will be a feel good move. T6 is good oil but in my mind the Castrol is hard to beat. Do you think the leaks are from some kind of sludge problem and that is why you think you need more detergents? If it's leaking bad enough I don't think any additive will help, at least I never had luck with them.

Okay, thanks guys. My specific question was more about the weight of the resulting mix. I read that LM oil saver makes the oil heavier. Would the result be too heavy?

BMWs used to run on thicker oil, 50/60 weights. I think it I'll be fine with that many miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back