Overthinking something simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been overthinking this whole oil filter thing...thinking back for as long as I've been able to drive, I've used FRAM extra guard with no issue...even now I change my oil at 5k miles on my wife's Honda and my Toyota. With the orange can rated at 95%, Honda filters at 65% and Toyota at 50% that still make the xtra guard the winner and for less $. I'm done driving myself crazy trying to find the "perfect" filter, when Fran has never done me wrong.

Yup.

For me, price is the biggest factor when looking at filters. Right now, Supertech filters are the cheapest day in and day out.
The only Supertech I won't use is one with a combo valve (of course the one for my F150 and Scion both use combo valves, but I have a few for those vehicles left in my filter stash).

I quickly realized after looking at some information here that it really doesn't make that much of a difference. I use whatever happens to be lowest price at the time and don't worry about it in the slightest.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I thought Fram made the Honda A01 now, anyway? Based on the EG IIRC.

They make the A02

I agree. Just buy what you like at the price point that suits you.

Originally Posted by Bud

It's not the price point that has me buying them, it's the efficiency rating compared to the Oem filters I usually buy. I even bought the tough guard and returned them realizing they're probably overkill for my vehicles lol

Originally Posted by Bettez88
I've been overthinking this whole oil filter thing...thinking back for as long as I've been able to drive, I've used FRAM extra guard with no issue...even now I change my oil at 5k miles on my wife's Honda and my Toyota. With the orange can rated at 95%, Honda filters at 65% and Toyota at 50% that still make the xtra guard the winner and for less $. I'm done driving myself crazy trying to find the "perfect" filter, when Fran has never done me wrong.

Just out of curiosity what Toyota filter has a 50% efficiency? The Toyota OEM filter speced for my Highlander, 04152-YZZA1, has a multi-pass rating of 99% at 25 microns and they're only $5.41 at the dealer part's department.

*edit*

I guess the key here is single pass vs multi-pass. FRAM ExtraGuard states a single-pass efficiency at 95.7% @ 10-20 microns.

Last edited:
Toyota engineers put the filter on the car new, use the same, and that's called not over thinking it. The Amsoil statement is hearsay, and says 51%, not 50. Eight years later you would think they would have provided the source evidence.

Originally Posted by Soobs

Just out of curiosity what Toyota filter has a 50% efficiency? The Toyota OEM filter speced for my Highlander, 04152-YZZA1, has a multi-pass rating of 99% at 25 microns and they're only $5.41 at the dealer part's department.

*edit*

I guess the key here is single pass vs multi-pass. FRAM ExtraGuard states a single-pass efficiency at 95.7% @ 10-20 microns.

What's the multi pass for the eg?

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
Isn't overthinking the reason we are all here ?
Originally Posted by madeej11

Truer words were never spoken...

Very true indeed...still going between the eg and tg...which of the two would you pick?

Originally Posted by madeej11

Truer words were never spoken...

Completely true. There's the guy who buys the cheapest filter and the cheapest oil for his car and never has an issue with his vehicles. In reality who is the smart one?

*edit*

What's the source of thiat efficiency data?

Fram references ISO 4548-12 which is multi-pass, and is basically a test that constantly monitors the efficiency throughout the test run. The resulting ISO 4548-12 efficiency rating is the average over the test run.

No one I know thinks at all about oil filters, most take their car to the dealer, or an independent shop. Even mentioning an oil filter is a waste of time to them. One lady friend sold her 05 Prius to her friend with 200k on it for 3000. The friend loves it, looks brand new. Never had anything but Toyota oil and filter changes done at the local dealer it's entire existence. That's not over thinking it mode.

Originally Posted by Bud

It's not the price point that has me buying them, it's the efficiency rating compared to the Oem filters I usually buy. I even bought the tough guard and returned them realizing they're probably overkill for my vehicles lol

Help me to understand, do you want better (or perhaps the best) efficiency or the lowest price? Or is the priority best efficiency within a certain price range?

Personally I think the Fram Tough Guard has the best efficiency for your money, I don't know why you would think that 99% @ 20 microns is "overkill" unless you don't want among the highest level of filtration efficiency available which I surmise you might.

Just using Walmart prices as an example, an Extra Guard 7317 is about $4 and a Tough Guard 7317 is about $7. To some people $3 is a big deal, to me it is not and I would just as soon spend $3+ extra and get an Ultra Synthetic 7317 for $10.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

*edit*

What's the source of thiat efficiency data?

Amazon lists the 04152-YZZA1 as a high-flow filter with a multipass efficiency of 99% at 25 microns in the product description. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyo...4152-YZZA1&qid=1570928373&sr=8-7

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back