How To Measure Wax On Surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to do a comparison between different types of waxes, sealants, etc. and test how they hold up over time.

I'm trying to come up with a way to measure how much protection remains on a surface. Something I can measure, like looking at a surface under a microscope or something similar.

I e-mailed Griot's but didn't get any reply.

Any ideas?

The YouTube videos showing testing of products on cars or body panels is probably the closest you can get. The biggest problem though is the application.

I like the tests done with two or three products side by side. More than that starts to decrease the test sample size to where it becomes hard to visualize on video.

As far as scientific analysis, I haven't seen any.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The YouTube videos showing testing of products on cars or body panels is probably the closest you can get. The biggest problem though is the application.

I like the tests done with two or three products side by side. More than that starts to decrease the test sample size to where it becomes hard to visualize on video.

As far as scientific analysis, I haven't seen any.

I checked into those - all I saw was comparing how water beads on the surface. I want something I can measure.

A newly painted panel will bead water, so I'm not too convinced that's the best way to go about comparing.

Do you want to actually measure the 'thickness" ?
I would think for the average person, that it would be impossible.

If you could do it, most likely you would measure in Microns.
There is 25.4 microns to .001 inch
You would need some type of laser measurer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although, there are hand-held Micrometers that measure down to .0001"
But then you have to worry about 'compacting' what your measuring.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Does the thickness really matter ?
I'd say "no"
What does matter is, "how long does the wax/sealant last (beads water) ?

Last edited:
I agree with Mastersolenoid. Possibly you could compare the RESPOSE ANGLE. The angle that the water drop makes with the paint surface. Ed

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
I want to do a comparison between different types of waxes, sealants, etc. and test how they hold up over time.

I'm trying to come up with a way to measure how much protection remains on a surface. Something I can measure, like looking at a surface under a microscope or something similar.

I e-mailed Griot's but didn't get any reply.

Any ideas?

You are assuming more thickness equals more protection. Doesn't necessarily work that way.

In the case of sealants they work on a molecular level. This might be hard to measure without very expensive analysis and then the cost versus benefit comes into play.

That's why most if not all tests go for longevity and performance.

Originally Posted by PimTac
In the case of sealants they work on a molecular level. This might be hard to measure without very expensive analysis and then the cost versus benefit comes into play.

That's why most if not all tests go for longevity and performance.

Bingo! The winner.

OK, I figured out a way to measure this.

I'm going to apply the wax in a few weeks, then drive all winter, and measure again in the spring.

What waxes would you like to see? I'm thinking about doing six at a time on the hood.

First will be Griot's One-Step Sealant (my go-to.) The other five I'll let you guys pick.

Also, the car will be garage kept, but I'll be driving it to work everyday, rain or shine.

Personally, I wouldn't get too hung-up on something like this.

In reality, most traditional car finish products hold a good luster for a few weeks and bead-up water for about 8 weeks if intermediate washes are not done with detergent soaps. I just did a google search for "Top 5 car waxes" and this is what popped-out: https://www.hubnames.com/automotive/best-car-wax/ It just so happens, I've tried all of these except the Turtle Wax Jet Black and I tend to agree... All of these are solid products.

No matter how you slice it, traditional car wax finish products need to be re-applied every 2-3 months. You can usually do a double-coat before winter for an added measure of protection. In my view of things, pick one you like and are comfortable with -and enjoy wax day with a beverage of your choice, cigar and a good BBQ afterward.

Ray

None of those reviews are very scientific aside from "look at how good the water beads!" I can re-paint my hood and spray water on it, and it'll bead.

They have gauges to measure paint film thickness, it's called a coating thickness gauge. It might work. Measure before applying wax, then after. I have a feeling the thickness will be nearly undetectable w/o some very costly equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back