Glass cleaner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has anyone ever used Simoniz Auto Glass Cleaner. I was given a sample and its seems really good. By that I mean better than Windex and Stoners Invisible Glass.

What I have noticed about these automotive glass cleaners, they all work great when the bottle is fresh, less so when they are 2+ months old. The 6 pack of Stoner Invisible Glass from Costco is a total waste of money if you use 1 can per 2 months.

Any others experience the same? And sorry, no experience with the Simoniz product, but if it's fresh it should be good?

Originally Posted by KGMtech
What I have noticed about these automotive glass cleaners, they all work great when the bottle is fresh, less so when they are 2+ months old. The 6 pack of Stoner Invisible Glass from Costco is a total waste of money if you use 1 can per 2 months.

Any others experience the same? And sorry, no experience with the Simoniz product, but if it's fresh it should be good?

Can't say I have had the problem with the Invisible glass cleaner. I have a can that bought a couple years ago that still works well so far.

Seems Simoniz has 3 different glass cleaners:
- Brite
- Anti-Glare
- VisionClear

which one is yours?

Most of the problem I've seen is not using enough of the product to clean the glass. Spray the heck out of it. Wipe it down with paper towels or old news papers. Spray it down again, wipe it again. I caught myself trying to "save" some juice and not having fully clean windows. Not any more, and it makes it very easy to clean the dashboard too!!!

Stuff I have is just called Simoniz "new and improved" auto glass cleaner item# RT4005OV. Its only a 4oz bottle and could very well be old stock but new to me. It works really well. Much better than any Stoner product I have tried!

I have yet to use ANY glass cleaner that will remove the goop that forms on the inside of the windshield. They all just smear it around. The only thing I've found that will remove it is a 50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and water....

Originally Posted by grampi
I have yet to use ANY glass cleaner that will remove the goop that forms on the inside of the windshield. They all just smear it around. The only thing I've found that will remove it is a 50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and water....

What % vinegar do you use 45% - 20%...5% does nothing...not strong enough at 50/50. You need something strong to breakdown cake film.

For LED monitors not wise using something acidic just water and a glass cleaning cloth...acid solution may harm screen surface just saying.

This stuff did just that! No smearing like other stuff.

Originally Posted by 007

Can you explain how you did it. Either way film needs to break down a microfiber glass cleaning cloth does that a scrubber on the surface BUT also it needs a strong solution for oily surface to break down inside of the windshield when heat trap in can cause oily film baking.

Come here you need a strong solution to break it down for the microfiber cleaning cloth to scrub it off.

5% vinegar solution does nothing on contact it's food grade.

Meguiar's Perfect Clarity.

What do you apply to your dashboard? It maybe the source of the haze...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

It is either this or there is a leak in the heating system.

Just the other day as I was passing by a concrete mixer parked and waiting at a construction zone, my windshield and the rest of the car was sprayed by hydraulic fluid from a leaking fitting.

I stopped at a gas station nearby. I carry a bottle of Scheibenklar in the back. That took care of the windshield quickly. The car got washed when we got home.

I too used products that just smeared things around on the inside of the windshield. Found that after I washed the car and dried it with a micro fiber towel I could used the same damp towel on the inside of the glass while it was just wet with water. It cleaned better than any cleaner!! The Siminoz stuff I found on my shelf works great but I do not see it for sale locally and have no idea where I got it from.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mamala Bay
Originally Posted by 007

Can you explain how you did it. Either way film needs to break down a microfiber glass cleaning cloth does that a scrubber on the surface BUT also it needs a strong solution for oily surface to break down inside of the windshield when heat trap in can cause oily film baking.

Come here you need a strong solution to break it down for the microfiber cleaning cloth to scrub it off.

5% vinegar solution does nothing on contact it's food grade.

I generally use about 2 qts of solution to clean my windows, so I use 1 qt of distilled vinegar mixed with 1 qt of water. It cuts the garbage on the inside of the windshield...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I don't apply anything to the dash. I have done a lot of research on this gunk that only seems to build up on the inside of the windshield (and not on any of the other windows), and from what I've gathered, this gunk comes from gases produced by the dashboard materials that is generated by the sun and heat from the sun. I don't think it has anything to do with interior treatments, or a leaky coolant system...every vehicle I've ever owned had had this gunk buildup on the inside of the windshield...I will have to give the Meguiar's stuff a try...

Outgassing of interior products is a concern. Some automakers have reduced the incidence by quite a large margin.

Another source to be considered is outside air being used to circulate via the climate control system. If the air is polluted then that will accelerate the buildup of grime on interior surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back