Mazda SkyActiv 2.0L Valve Cover Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Mazda 3 2.0L Skyactiv - 98,660 miles.

Oil change history: mostly PP 0w20 at 5K-7.5K intervals. It did have one run of M1 early on that was about 13k by accident.

A1CCFCED-D27A-4FA1-A957-AE760D8AD8AA.jpeg

B868C0AA-9161-4CD9-8453-639CACFDDE0D.jpeg

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Why did you have to remove the valve cover?

I've had a couple of Mazda MZR engines (Ford Duratechs actually) and the valve cover gasket leaking into the spark plug tubes is quite common after several thousand miles. I wonder if the Skyactive engines have this issue?

I'm assuming a leak but @ 98k miles (6yrs old) that seems kinda early IMO but maybe it's normal for these engines??🤔

Last edited:
Looks great but I too am curious about the cause. I do assume there's some ~100k ish spark plug change out, and it they show signs of oil, then...

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

I'm guessing this?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...l-skyactiv-oil-control-valve-oil-seepage

Yes - oil seepage around the Oil Control Valve.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Agree ^^^^^^

Cam lobes look really good...

Very, very clean... No wipe down right ???

No wipedown - except on the areas where the gasket and RTV will sit. The oil was changed a few hours before this picture was taken.

Originally Posted by webfors
OOoh, look at all that varnish and thin oil wear!

j/k

Yeah, and judging by the picture, one of those cam lobes looks to be 0.0003" more worn than all the others. Of course, this could have been prevented with 3k OCI's with 5w-40 in the winter and 10w-60 in the summer.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by webfors
OOoh, look at all that varnish and thin oil wear!

j/k

Yeah, and judging by the picture, one of those cam lobes looks to be 0.0003" more worn than all the others. Of course, this could have been prevented with 3k OCI's with 5w-40 in the winter and 10w-60 in the summer.
lol.gif

10w-60? Please, that weak garbage will grenade your engine FAST! If you really want ultimate protection, you need to pack all your cylinders with grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back