Help me choose Wix vs Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by atikovi
Just buy a Mopar filter and be done with it.

I second that motion
thumbsup2.gif

Isn't a Mopar filter a Purolator product?

Canister filters are Puro made, Cartridge filters vary.

Originally Posted by bbhero
I agree CT8 ... A Wix/Napa Gold that is 95 percent at 20 microns and 50 percent at 6 microns is just fine.

I know not all of the NAPA Golds are identical, but all of the sizes I use say they are rated 99%@23 microns. To me, that's close enough that when the NAPA Golds are on sale for $3.75-4.50, it's worth buying those over the Fram Ultra. I like the XGs, but since I am OCD in the fact that I prefer to swap oil filters every time I change the oil, Fram Ultras are wasting money for me... since getting rid of my Fusion, all my Subarus are well short of the 20k rating as far as OCI is concerned. I imagine "most" DIYers here are nowhere near 20k, so I ask this: what is better, two NG filters @99% at 23 microns at $4 each for two 7,500 mile OCIs, or one $10 XG at 99% at 20 microns for two 7,500 mile OCIs? I argue you'll get essentially identical results outside of the fact you saved $1-2. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by bbhero
I agree CT8 ... A Wix/Napa Gold that is 95 percent at 20 microns and 50 percent at 6 microns is just fine.

I know not all of the NAPA Golds are identical, but all of the sizes I use say they are rated 99%@23 microns. To me, that's close enough that when the NAPA Golds are on sale for $3.75-4.50, it's worth buying those over the Fram Ultra. I like the XGs, but since I am OCD in the fact that I prefer to swap oil filters every time I change the oil, Fram Ultras are wasting money for me... since getting rid of my Fusion, all my Subarus are well short of the 20k rating as far as OCI is concerned. I imagine "most" DIYers here are nowhere near 20k, so I ask this: what is better, two NG filters @99% at 23 microns at $4 each for two 7,500 mile OCIs, or one $10 XG at 99% at 20 microns for two 7,500 mile OCIs? I argue you'll get essentially identical results outside of the fact you saved $1-2. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you will find no shortage of people to whom $1-$2 is something to make a big deal about. I see it every day on BITOG, brutal cheapness.

For me, I try to go Wix/Napa Gold as my preferred choice of filter with Fram as second best. I will go with a Fram over a Wix if the Wix filter is imported and the Fram equivalent is made in the USA and vise versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back