Hi Tack glue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some wallpaper that is come loose right at a tile edge. I am looking for some type of glue that will hold immediately when I bond the wallpaper to the wall. Ed

Contact cement for immediate bond, but I would use superglue and hold it/ tape it. You can get superglue in single use syrettes that are perfect for small jobs like this one. Superglue sets up pretty fast even without an accelerator.

Superglue doesn't bond well to porous materials, like wallpaper and drywall. Contact cement, or, if it doesn't need to be instant, RTV sealant, for humid environments like bathrooms.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Superglue doesn't bond well to porous materials, like wallpaper and drywall. Contact cement, or, if it doesn't need to be instant, RTV sealant, for humid environments like bathrooms.
You are correct, but there is a good chance the wallpaper adhesive is still on the wall that would act as a sort of....drywall sealant. You could always paint the exposed drywall and then glue it if it tore away cleanly. I'm not sure if RTV is the same as construction silicone adhesive/sealant, I've seen mirror installers with caulking gun tubes of actual RTV instead of the clear silicone you can buy at home improvement stores. Either way it would be much easier to brush a thin layer of contact cement than try to smooth a bead of silicone on a piece of wallpaper that is still attached to the wall.

I live in an old Victorian house and have wallpapered probably 25 rooms in my life. Regular Elmer's white glue works well enough for reattaching loose paper. Or you can look for a product commonly known as "vinyl on vinyl" adhesive. It's nothing more than thick Elmer's white glue. It's meant for attaching wallpaper border to wallpaper. In your situation, lift up the loose wallpaper carefully, then, using a cheap 1-inch paint brush, thinly apply the white glue to both the back side of the wallpaper and the wall itself. Press the paper against the wall, then use a hard rubber roller to work out any air bubbles. Sponge off any excess glue that emerges at the seams. It should set up nicely in an hour or two. The advantage of white glue vs. contact cement is that the latter might tend to clump up, whereas the former distributes more evenly. You could also use clear cellulose wallpaper paste, but it's getting harder to find as fewer homeowners hang wallpaper anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back