Honda Ridgeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to hear from past and present Ridgeline owners. I'm considering buying a used one and would like to know what I should look out for. What are your overall views on this vehicle? What should I expect for 50/50 MPG's? Thanks for your responses.

I've owned my 2007 since new, November 2006. I'm driving less in recent years, but it has been near flawless. Only two things have broken and needed repair in 13 years: the right front driveshaft (leaking boot) and the safety latches that keep the two rear seat legs in an upright position. That's a design flaw I've learned from other first gen Ridgeline owners. Parts and labor were ludicrous so I use bungee cords to fold the seat legs up.

When I had the water pump and timing belt replaced at 9 years and 74K miles (due to age only), my mechanic told me I did it just in time because the hydraulic tensioner was leaking and going bad. A new one came with the belt kit. That job cost me $965 at an indie shop four years ago. The original Michelin LTX tires lasted 59 K miles before developing sidewall cracks. I've had one new set of front and rear brake pads, new front rotors (AC Delco Professional), two batteries and just routine maintenance otherwise. I've followed the Honda service guide, and even went one better by having an average OCI of 5,600 miles, which is usually 20-30% on the OLM. I've used Havoline full synthetic twice but have used mostly Conoco Phillips synthetic blends. I had to use a Fumoto adapter to install their valve, but it was easy. Oil changes are a cinch, and mine uses no oil between oil changes.

I have done some trailer towing (52 inch ZTR from NC to PA and a 1987 Alfa Romeo from NC to PA) with no problems. But certainly don't mistake the Ridgeline for a conventional pickup. Instead it's got great utility and to me rides like a Honda Accord compared to some average trucks. Mileage is not the best: I've gotten as high as 21 mpg on the road and usually 17-18 in mixed driving. Most hard core pickup owners poo poo the Ridgeline, but it's been near perfect for me. At 93K miles, it's just now broken in.

Send me a private message if you have any further questions. Good luck shopping.

I think of the Ridgeline as the thinking person's pickup truck. You see countless F-150s on the road with nothing in their beds and not towing anything and we all personally know at least one owner who uses little to none of their truck's capabilities. Speaking about the new model, with a 5,000lb towing capacity, 1,600lb payload, combined with great ride, handling, solid AWD system, and decent MPG Ridgeline should be a no-brainer for a lot more people if perceived toughness, etc. didn't get in the way.

Last edited:
I love my 2017 (1st year of the new design) .
I have the RTL-E which is the 2nd from the top of the line black edition.

It may be the best all around vehicle I've ever owned. So far it is.

Its as quiet as my lexus SUV
It rides extremely well. Like a Japanese sedan
The AWD system is excellent.
Driven conservatively it will return an indicated 30+ MPG on flatland.
Its quick - Ive seen 0-60 time in the 6.4 range
Ive towed a 5K boat with ease through hills and the high desert- trailer will be a bit tougher on it - but its quite competent.
The driver aids are really good- but not perfect.
The bed trunk is great.
The infotainment and sound system with car play is excellent - stand alone not as good.

Nit picks

Door and panel alignment took a bit of time at the shop pre delivery but they got it in an ok place.
hard to get to the battery if it needs a jump
rear doors dont open wide - enough - easy to rectify with a kit though.
Its a timing belt car.
The keyless entry batteries last 2 years before warning you

UD

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thanks for the rapid responses everyone!! I've prepriced the timing belt/water pump at a shop and am watching for a nice(preferably 1 owner) truck.

The Pilot uses similar drivetrain. J35 engine is pretty solid, just be sure to replace the timing belt on schedule. Variable cylinder management can be problematic on the older ones; they were known for burning oil and fouling plugs. I have VCM on my Pilot and haven't really had problems, although it shudders sometimes when it kicks in. There are ways of disabling it by fooling the temperature sender into thinking the engine is running cooler with a gizmo that plugs in line with the sensor, but sometimes it can trigger a CEL if the ECU thinks it's running too cold. Likewise, those gizmos lower your temperature gauge so if it overheats it might not show you soon enough.

The VCM on the 2017 ridgeline is really unobtrusive - a bit like pulling top gear in a stick shift rig at a low RPM.

Not worth bothering with aftermarket fixes.

On the fuel economy websites, owners report anywhere from 20 to 23MPG in average use. That's not bad for the size of vehicle. They drive well and are capable enough to do modest duty towing tasks. I don't ever tow more than 6000 pounds as that's a good practical limit for an F150 4x4. The Ridgeline is rated to tow as much as 5000. Which means I'd cut that to about 3500 to be safe.

I'd consider one, but the front seats don't go far back enough for me to be anywhere near comfortable. Hence my 3 F150's.

It just rubs me wrong that some engines have a $1k scheduled service in the future when so many don't and expect to run 200-300k for whatever years with no kind of expensive maintenance item. I know it's $100/yr and you should budget for it yada yada but is the purchase price $1k less than a timing chain engine car at the front end to account for it?

We looked at and liked the Ridgeline but needed more towing capacity (we thought).

The timing belt conundrum is a maddening one -historically I wouldn't buy a rig with one but recently times have changed.

There are several things to consider now - Having a chain used to mean a lifetime of trouble free use - not anymore

GDI soot is nasty and contributes to chain wear.

Chains on SOHC and DOHC engines have been problematic with the onset of GDI and TGDI engines which are calling for shorter OCIs than the ridgeline which can go up to 10K and uses a very clever well thought out OLM system.

a quick search on the f150 forums will bring up many rigs needing new chains and phasers fairly early in their lifespans - sometimes at the same interval as a belt. This is a MUCH more expensive repair than a belt change.

The mileage of the ridgeline can offset some of the spend on the belt/ water pump / rollers.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
It just rubs me wrong that some engines have a $1k scheduled service in the future when so many don't and expect to run 200-300k for whatever years with no kind of expensive maintenance item.

I compare the estimated $1,000 timing belt/water pump/tensioner replacement on the 2007 Ridgeline with the thousands of dollars of repairs my son has done on his 2007 Silverado 4x4, and my repair cost has been a mere bag of shells, to quote Ralph Kramden.

The impression that I get is that people that own them are typically pretty happy with them. Most of the criticism comes from people that would never buy one. They should be pretty reliable and the expense of a timing belt replacement wouldn't deter me. As a matter of fact, I would actually prefer a belt given the timing chain problems so many modern engines have been having.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I compare the estimated $1,000 timing belt/water pump/tensioner replacement on the 2007 Ridgeline with the thousands of dollars of repairs my son has done on his 2007 Silverado 4x4, and my repair cost has been a mere bag of shells, to quote Ralph Kramden.

Plenty of high quality vehicles out there where you can avoid both circumstances!

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz

Plenty of high quality vehicles out there where you can avoid both circumstances!

"Vehicles" yeah sure - however there are no other midsized trucks with the Hondas attributes available to choose from.

UD

Aichiguy,
Which generation are you looking for?
And as previously posted most people who
have or had them love them. The ones that
despise them never even had one let alone
drove one.

Last edited:
I'm trying to stay under $15k so surely the 1st? gen. I drove a 2010 this AM. It was very clean and straight. It drove extremely well. (96k) I look under the hood and the oil is dirty and a qt low. There's a little sludge in and under the oil cap. There's not enough coolant in the radiator to cover the coils. This is at a used lot that does a lot of advertising. Sheeeesh.

Keep looking! Search used car sites and be patient.
Sometimes they come up and I wish I could buy them up. I could invision driving them forever they are that comfortable.
The RL's are solid good running with the proper maintenance. Not fast or flashy. Great in snow and ice.Very easy to do normal maintenance yourself .

Common issues are fouling and plugs backing out and trans lines to radiator fittings failing on earlier
years. Also don't like the wipers under the hood when it snows.
Go to www.ridgelineownersclub.com for info.

I am on my second one. For light hauling and daily use they are great. The newer gen has some good updates and some not so good.
Good luck with your search.

I put a "wanted" ad on Craigslist. Maybe someone will respond. I emailed a dealership a couple of hours ago and requested a vehicle history report and you would have thought I asked for the salesman's tax returns. I put my home phone # on the email request and someone was calling within 5 minutes. Somehow they got my cell number and started in texting me. Tasteless. I liked the report however and will probably check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back