Replacment body panals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering where everyone buys their doors, hoods, etc if you can't find them at the pull a part or junkyard? I need a hood due to a deer strike and the dealer is pretty expensive. Local junkyard doesn't have anything unless it's a american brand car.

You can find Chinese/Taiwanese tin from the local Keystone, Rock sells them too, and there's sometimes a Chinese outfit in town that sells these.

Caveat emptor, aftermarket sheet metal doesn't fit right or has to be man-handled or modified to work.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Nick1994
www.car-part.com or LKQ

How reasonable are their prices and shipping?

Car-part.com is a listing site for salvage yards, so they give you their price and contact info, but nothing is actually sold via the website. It's a resource showing what yards all over have and their price.

LKQ is a nationwide salvage company with yards all over the country. Their prices vary depending on demand and what they have.

Aftermarket stuff tends to be thin and cheap.

I recently bought a Capa approved fender and front bumper cover for my Suburban and was a little leery because they were so cheap. When I got the truck back, it looked perfect. I was surprised the body lines were so good.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
www.car-part.com or LKQ

I just used car-parts.com to find a replacement rear passenger door for our 2005 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I found an exact match, color code and Eddie Bauer trim level, at a yard in Wind Gap PA, about 44 miles from me in NJ. I called ahead to confirm and they removed the door and had it ready when I picked it up this past Wed. It is in really good shape only minor paint scuffing which can be easily buffed out. I paid $159 with PA sales tax, a bargain especially since I don't have to pay to paint it or buy the Eddie Bauer door molding.

Whimsey

Body parts may or may not be manufactured by GM, etc. A lot of vehicles roll off the line made with "Aftermarket" parts. I went to a junk yard with a friend to get a front fender for his 1972 Subaru station wagon. The guy took us out and started removing a fender from a Toyota. I told him that's a Toyota. We need it for a Subaru. He swore it would 100% fit. He was right. Everything lined up. Turn signal/sidelight was in the correct place. Wires plugged into the Subaru wiring harness.

Aftermarket parts can be crap, or better than OEM

Originally Posted by borgward
Body parts may or may not be manufactured by GM, etc. A lot of vehicles roll off the line made with "Aftermarket" parts. I went to a junk yard with a friend to get a front fender for his 1972 Subaru station wagon. The guy took us out and started removing a fender from a Toyota. I told him that's a Toyota. We need it for a Subaru. He swore it would 100% fit. He was right. Everything lined up. Turn signal/sidelight was in the correct place. Wires plugged into the Subaru wiring harness.

Aftermarket parts can be crap, or better than OEM

crazy2.gif

When using aftermarket panels and cover CAPA certified is your best bet outside of OE. Fit and finish are usually good but the material quality on some bumpers is lacking eg I did a MB 600 front cover, the OE was a mix of plastics including polyurethane, the aftermarket one had none in the mix meaning it will probably crack instead of tearing.
Unless you run into something like this chances are the CAPA will be similar in materials.

On the other side of that coin is some car like some of the Japanese models they really pinch pennies where it cant be seen, the covers are horrible crap, they crack and split easily. the CAPA is a better cover at less than half the price. GM covers seem to be reasonably durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back