Add water then charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Yes always charge after adding water. If the battery is still in the car though, you can just drive.

Originally Posted by spasm3
12.5 is about 80% charged, i'd charge it some.

Originally Posted by mk378
Yes always charge after adding water. If the battery is still in the car though, you can just drive.

Thanks guys. I'll put my Battery Tender JR on it tomorrow and leave it until the light turns green or the charge increases somewhat.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by irv
Thanks guys. I'll put my Battery Tender JR on it tomorrow and leave it until the light turns green or the charge increases somewhat.
cheers3.gif

If you are going to store the battery, why not just leave the Battery Tender on it 24 / 7? That's what they are designed for. They will not overcharge your battery. I have a lead acid car battery I only use to operate a clay target thrower. It has been on a Battery Tender Jr. for the last 3 years in my garage. It maintains a 100% charge without me thinking or worrying about it. Yours will do the same.

Do not add water as long as it is over the plates. Some batteries will when charged have a water rise and throw it out making a mess. Contamination from water is a source of battery failure, use only distilled.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Do not add water as long as it is over the plates. Some batteries will when charged have a water rise and throw it out making a mess. Contamination from water is a source of battery failure, use only distilled.

Rod

That's how I was taught to maintain industrial batteries. As long as the water is covering the plates, you charge it first then top off the cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back