What is most popular oil brand in Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worldwide I'd guess: Mobil, Shell, and Castrol, in that order, ships the most engine oils. Mobil is the popular choice in this country, at least for full syns, and they do ship a lot of conventional oil as well. Shell has the Pennzoil Quaker State Rotella brands.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Zolton
Originally Posted by Trav
GTL is full synthetic using the Fischer-Tropsch process which was the original full synthetic process and a grp IV

Great post, but GTL is Gruppe V -"other"
Group V is not "other." Group V are Esters.

GTL is group 3 ---> http://gasprocessingnews.com/featur...es-clean-base-oils-from-natural-gas.aspx
Group 5 is anything not covered in groups one through four. Most of the time its esters, but not by definition. "Group V base oils comprise all base oils not included in Groups I, II, III or IV. Therefore, naphthenic base oils, various synthetic esters, polyalkylene glycols (PAGs), phosphate esters and others fall into this group." machinery lubrication magazine

G-III has so many potential recipes it's almost meaningless as a category.

Then you should enlighten us all and provide links and references to back up your statement.

But you won't.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
[Look again at the edge bottles before claiming its not correct. The A5/B5 is HC the rest are full synthetic. Click on the picture for each one and then view image.
You will see for yourself.

https://www.castrol.com/de_de/germa...castrol-edge.html#tab_turbo-diesel-5w-40
Edge bottles?
29.gif
Are you kidding me? We have spectra analyses in .ru and .de oil-clubs.
You dont need read bottle stickers to be smart. LOL. Bottles, the source of trueness.

Ravenol is an upper mid tier product and no where near the most popular.
Ravenol is also often expensive. But what is "popular", again? Mid tier product, with 6.7% Noack? 75% of products, with PAO/Ester? What is "upper mid"?
From the sight of sold quantities Ravenol is not TT. Thats right.

==============================================
@aleneros
I mean the base oil mix (!) must be at least 80% group IV and V. For me this is very reasonable definition.
==============================================

You miss the point, the label must be truthful in Germany, its the law. If it is labeled full synthetic then it is full synthetic. You are calling me a liar? That is factual information.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Pelican

It's a EU law and it applies throughout Europe. The suit was brought up in a US court and deliberated by a short sighted judge.

incorrect, it was a BBB case in the US. In Europe, Germany requires that to be labelled synthetic, it has to PAO or Ester based, they are the only ones that do. That's why "Synthetic" oils in Jolly 'ol England can be Group-III based, same with France and numerous Motul products that are called Synthetic but sold as SHC in Germany.

Would you agree if it is labeled full synthetic in Germany it is a primarily PAO or Ester or blend of grp IV or V oil.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Then you should enlighten us all and provide links and references to back up your statement.

But you won't.

Zolton doesn't seem to know what he means, first he said this:

Great post, but GTL is Gruppe V -"other"

Then this attempt:

Maybe we were just supposed to be impressed with the Euro-cool "Gruppe"?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

It's a EU law and it applies throughout Europe. The suit was brought up in a US court and deliberated by a short sighted judge.

incorrect, it was a BBB case in the US. In Europe, Germany requires that to be labelled synthetic, it has to PAO or Ester based, they are the only ones that do. That's why "Synthetic" oils in Jolly 'ol England can be Group-III based, same with France and numerous Motul products that are called Synthetic but sold as SHC in Germany.

Would you agree if it is labeled full synthetic in Germany it is a primarily PAO or Ester or blend of grp IV or V oil.

Certainly.

Nope, it is German law.

In Germany it is Liqui Moly, followed by Castrol, Shell, Mobil.

My local parts shop also caryys Motul and, as budget brand, Eurolub.

Total is almmost not existent. Ravenol is also almost not existent, it is unknown to most people. It is only available online.

ROWE is starting to get more and more popular and is producing very fine oils, the first shop in my region carry it.

Rowe oils has produced constant very fine UOAs, compared to Ravenols many not so good ones.... https://oil-club.de/index.php?board/153-gebraucht%C3%B6l/

That the reason why i dont understand the constant Liqui Moly bashing and love for Ravenol here on BITOG, but that is a different story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Group V is not "other." Group V are Esters.

I'm a bit surprised you would make this mistake!

As said, group V is defined by ther API as "anything not in groups I through IV". So if you use a fluid as a base oil and can not define it in the groups I through IV terms, it is automatically group V. Esters are in there but so are myriad other things. For example, if you have a mineral base oil with a VI lower than 80, it's group V. If you have a mineral oil with
I've been banging this drum on here for years - group V does not mean ester, but ester does mean group V.

Also, there was no US lawsuit but there was a German court case and ruling. There is no EU law covering labelling but there are various national tax and import implications of base oil type.

Okay they make more versions, I have no idea when the catalogs were updated or who has the correct info but they still have full synthetic offerings on that site.

https://oeldepot24.de/castrol-edge-fst-0w-30-1-liter.html

https://oeldepot24.de/castrol-edge-supercar-10w-60-5-liter.html

Castrol home pages are to blame. They are pretty messy. Before the labels was on germany, so it was easy to se what was vollsynthese and what was HC. But now they are on English.
Castrol edge oil in stores in Germany they all have the labeling correct. Just like you said.

I think In Finland mobil super and mobil1 is the most popular oils. After that Castrol and lukoil, Shell helix ultra.

Originally Posted by ChristianReske

That the reason why i dont understand the constant Liqui Moly bashing and love for Ravenol here on BITOG, but that is a different story.

LM only gets a hard time in the U.S. due to the cost ($USD) relative to competing products (ex, Castrol 0w40, M1 0w40). Keyword is "relative".

The "love" for Ravenol is that their label explicitly states PAO. Much like ROWE. I've seen ROWE advertised in the monthly magazine published by BMWCCA (BMW Car Club of America).

Last edited:
Hi
Not really sure as to most popular Oil here in UK. I suspect people are cheap so will chose what suffices for their engine and costs the least money. Most people doing their sunday oil change on the driveway will get the shop own brand stuff ( Halfords for example over here) or small companies like Comma or Granville.

Odd thing over here is just about the cheapest MB 229.51 is the genuine stuff from the Mercedes main dealer.

Maybe also worth mentioning that the DIY oil change is largely dead over here - most cars get their oil changed in a workshop, either an OEM franchised shop or an independent, so oil choice is largely left to the workshop to decide, not the driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back