Anyone use Supertech ST10358 in their toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at this ST10358 cartridge filter at walmart, it appears to be of good construction and less than $3. It has end caps unlike the stock toyota filter (probably makes no difference) and believe it filters better. I thought about giving it a try. Anyone use the Supertech cartridge filters?

Its a champ labs filter so it will be fine. I have plenty of Champ filters and ST with no issues.

I usually buy OEM in a case off Amazon or Ebay for $40 for 10, and reorder when I get low. But one time I was between cases or something, and used a Supertech on our '11 Camry, which is a cartridge. Filter looked fine when I took it out after 10k BUT the o-ring on the cannister was shot after only 10k. It had gone square and there was no drag on the cannister as it came out. As a result I'm leery of using them again, certainly not without going 5k first and seeing if the o-ring has improved. I'm not sure if it's heat cycles or what, we usually rack up the miles in short order, so it's not like it was a 5 year old o-ring.

Now that is interesting. Good filter element but ruin the deal by cheaping out on the o-ring. I prefer a filter failure than a oring that could leak oil out of the engine.
frown.gif

Preface by saying, I've not used topic cartridge. However read this thread regarding an anecdotal experience with one, iirc that was one from when the ST was made by Wix. I found the thread but pics now gone.

In any case, the topic cartridge is now made by (or for) Champ Labs and has different construction. According to link it now uses media wrap type endcaps. That being the case, anecdote not really applicable to topic cartridge.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperTech-ST10358-Cartridge-Oil-Filter/378476481

Even though WM ST says good for up 10k miles, for me I'd be more comfortable ~5-6k mi. fcis. Not to say, 10k miles undoable.

[Linked Image]

I've run toyota OEM to 10K miles and it has no endcaps at all. I would not be concerned. Walmart has too much to lose if their filters fall apart before 10K miles and ruins a bunch of engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back