can't patch a plugged tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Maddog3355
I've plugged several tires and even seen a guy take a drill bit and waller the hole to get the plug to go in and it worked. If you have implement tires and 4 wheelers you diffidently need to plug.

vidmate apkshareit apk

Even the same is happening with me.

did anyone got any solution for it yet? as it is getting frustrating day by day

Originally Posted by barrysingh101
Originally Posted by Maddog3355
I've plugged several tires and even seen a guy take a drill bit and waller the hole to get the plug to go in and it worked. If you have implement tires and 4 wheelers you diffidently need to plug.

vidmate apkshareit apk

Even the same is happening with me.

did anyone got any solution for it yet? as it is getting frustrating day by day

I don't care for plugs, I've seen a ton of them leak. If I am patching a tire and see it, first thing I do is check it. Almost always the leak. I think plugs have their place for a temp fix but trying to permanently fix a tire with it is another. I really wanna buy a couple of tools inorder to patch tires at home.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
What is the current, preferred repair method ? I remember plugs (which are still sold in every auto parts store, Walmart, etc), then they moved to what I thought were just patches, and later, this combination patch/plug. Is the patch/plug not the preferred repair today ?

Plug/patch is still the preferred method.

But for roadside emergencies, a plug is an emergency repair. I never had issues with plug reliability back in my poor college days.

Also, because a shop has to dismount the tire to do a plug/patch, it means the tire & wheel gets rebalanced also.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Also, because a shop has to dismount the tire to do a plug/patch, it means the tire & wheel gets rebalanced also.

We never balance them unless the customer asks us too. We mark the tire in Crayon where the valve stem was and weights. Then put it back where it was. I wouldn't be surprised if DT did the same thing.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

We never balance them unless the customer asks us too. We mark the tire in Crayon where the valve stem was and weights. Then put it back where it was. I wouldn't be surprised if DT did the same thing.

Firestone rebalances it, without me asking.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

'Ime', DT always rebalances the tire after the plug/patch procedure. At least to this point that's how it's been done. Next time I'm in for a rotation and balance, I'll confirm. It is interesting to read how WM does it though.

Since the topic of the tire removal plug/patch procedure has been discussed this sub-forum recently, I've noticed some things. The procedure afaik initially came under the RMA, Rubber Manufacturers Association. It appears that RMA is now USTMA, US Tire Manufacturers Association and assumes same roll for the plug/patch repair. The specific USTMA procedure can be on the GY site in this pdf.

I also noticed that according to some experts in this recent thread that the USTMA procedure is done if not solely, primarily for "cosmetic" reasons. That being the case, someone needs to inform tire establishments like Discount Tire, Costco, WM, Goodyear and many others that they doing the USTMA primarily for cosmetic reasons. I imagine they all could save a lot of money and time if they only knew. It's on the internet, so it must be true.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
…. I also noticed that according to some experts in this recent thread that the USTMA procedure is done if not solely, primarily for "cosmetic" reasons. That being the case, someone needs to inform tire establishments like Discount Tire, Costco, WM, Goodyear and many others that they doing the USTMA primarily for cosmetic reasons. I imagine they all could save a lot of money and time if they only knew. It's on the internet, so it must be true.

You've got to be careful using sarcasm. It doesn't always translate well from verbal to written form. Plus there are people in this world whose "Sarcasm Detector (tm)" doesn't function very well.

^^^^I don't know, thinking if that didn't come through as being clearly sarcastic, including the links and references (it's on the internet, so it must be true) then very little if anything would. Initially did have a
whistle.gif
at the end but felt that might be overkill in this case. That said, for those folks exceptionally slow on the uptake, it's now been spelled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back