Do we really need paper media filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Racing, polyester cellulose blend, Fram Racing a blend, M1 filters a blend. Just because synthetic sounds new doesn't mean cellulose is horrible. I find it interesting that Fram does not use the Ultra full synthetic media in their racing filters. They blend with cellulose.

Here are a few of the rod bearings:

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

Looks almost new to me

Some visible wear not still good

Worst of them

And the journals:

Nearly perfect

Worst of them

I must have skipped checking the mains. Now that I'm looking at these photos I feel like I decided not to take the mains off because I thought these looked very good (for "130" k miles)

The engine calls for 5w30 and I have experimented some with 10w30 but I keep experiencing valve train noise when I do. I had a Frontier when I was younger with the same VG33 engine and I ran Delo 15w40 dino in it with no issues whatsoever. I am very apprehensive about putting 15w40 in this engine when 10w30 causes an issue over 5w30 and I still have an increased level of background scrubbing noises coming from the rear of the passenger cam after the last 10w30 attempt.

Last edited:
They might look "OK" visually, but did you do any bearing clearance measurements - by using plastigage at least? If the clearances are pretty large then it will show up as lower oil pressure.

No, no I didnt.. I wasnt having any issues with the bottom of the engine and just looked at them because I had the engine out and wanted to redo the oil pan anyway.

Good topic, something to learn instead of endless rehashing the same pics and questions. Bearings for cars were soft babbitt poured in place and lapped and honed I believe. The underlying cast iron makes a superior bearing material so why did they take this route? Embedding particles isn't it, embedded particles are worse. That's how diamond bonded tools are made. It may have to do with being able to absorb flexing forces in the long bending crankshaft. Looking at a 3450 rpm electric motor running, imagine a crankshaft spinning like that and with pistons attached, amazing it doesn't just blow up. As for media, for an oil filter forum no one talks much about the media and how it's made. Seems like would be a difficult task to make evenly and the right pores.

If you ever want "near-ZERO" psi restriction through the filters...

then run dual Fram XG3976A filters on a dual remote mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back