Toyota Extends Hybrid Battery Warranty for MY2020 Hybrid & Plug-in's to 10/150K

Status
Not open for further replies.
For non CA CARB states, the hybrid battery warranty was previously 8/100K.

PLANO, Texas (October 10, 2019) - With 20 years' experience and more than three million alternative fuel vehicles sold in the U.S., Toyota is putting more power behind its hybrid battery and component warranty.

Today, Toyota announced it will extend its hybrid battery warranty from 8 years / 100,000 miles to 10 years from date of first use/150,000 miles, whichever comes first. This extension is valid for all new model year 2020 Toyota hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and fuel cell electric vehicles. All other HV components will retain coverage under the Hybrid System Warranty at 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The new 2020 Toyota hybrid battery warranty is the longest offered warranty in the industry that covers first ownership and all subsequent owners - making it even easier for Toyota to deliver the fuel efficiency, amazing range, dynamic performance, and positive environmental benefits that this innovative technology delivers.

"Toyota introduced the first hybrid vehicle in the world more than 20 years ago, but people still have hesitations about owning a hybrid vehicle," said Heather Updegraff, General Manager, Toyota Vehicle Marketing & Communications. "Our goal is to minimize that concern and this new warranty extension for the hybrid battery is just another way we are leading the industry and putting our customers first."

Toyota is committed to more efficient powertrains and today, Toyota's 2020 lineup includes seven hybrid models and one fuel cell model:

Fourth-generation Prius with available AWD-e boasts a combined EPA-estimated 50 MPG
The Prius Prime, Toyota's plug-in Hybrid now also has seating for 5 and a range of 640 miles on a full charge and a full tank of gas.
First-ever Corolla Hybrid with an EPA-estimated 52 combined MPG
Third-generation Camry Hybrid with an EPA-estimated 52 combined MPG
Second-generation RAV4 Hybrid with an estimated 40 combined MPG
Avalon Hybrid premium sedan with an EPA-estimated 44 combined MPG
New 2020 Highlander Hybrid with an estimated 33 combined MPG
And the current generation Toyota Mirai with an EPA-estimated 67 combined MPGe and 312-mile EPA-estimated driving range
Toyota encourages customers to consult their Toyota Warranty and Maintenance Guide for more information on the New Vehicle Limited Warranty that accompanies each vehicle.

The Toyota Hybrid System Warranty coverage is 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, for the following components:

Hybrid Battery Control Module (battery voltage sensor)
Hybrid Control Module (power management control module)
Inverter with Converter
The new Hybrid Battery Warranty is 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota...plug-in-and-fuel-cell-electric-vehicles/

Originally Posted by eljefino
Maybe they're feeling the heat from the Hyundai Ioniq?

+1 That's what I'm thinking, lifetime warranty on Hyundai hybrid batteries.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by funflyer
Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Could be wrong, but I thought that has been the California state requirement for a while:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/california-vehicle-and-emissions-warranty-periods

Yep. My 2005 Prius got a new battery at 146,000, covered under warranty 100%. I believe there are several states that require manufacturers to give a 10yr 150k mile warranty on the hybrid systems which includes the battery.

Correct, but many states do not qualify for the 10/150k warranty. With this change, everyone will have the same benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back