Jumper Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't need a set of jumper cables and I wasn't looking for a set as I have my Dad's from the 1960's. Real heavy duty and these have never let me down but, they're on the short side, ~ 8 ft.

However I was in the MALL and was walking by Burlington Coat Factory. And out front, they had 2 tables full of clearanced stuff. Everything from men & woman cologne, wrist watches, soaps, footwear...you know the STUFF!

They also had a few remaining SIMONIZE Jumper Cables for $12.99. I've seen an almost identical set at HF for $16 after 20% coupon. I'll toss'em in my daughter's car!

These are:
6 Gauge
16 Feet long
200 Amp

This is exactly what I bought at Burlington and found these on AMAZON
https://www.amazon.com/Simoniz-16-Gauge-Booster-Cable/dp/B06WWBJHCZ

What do you think is decent(spec wise) for a car just to keep in the trunk for emergency?

Last edited:
While I have a couple old sets of thick copper jumper cables, the most important factor is actually having them IN the car...

I maybe a thicker 100% copper will transfer the current more efficiently but the blended aluminium and copper ones will work just fine in a pinch.

If you need some get them but if in no hurry I would scan Craigslist and or garage sales for a nice old copper set.

Last edited:
I keep a cheap set in the car, along with a Li-Ion jumper back...belt and suspenders!

I keep the good set of 20' 2ga at home...they're heavy. They're so good I'm able to jump cars without starting the donor vehicle.

I made my own jumper cables. 25 feet each of 0 gauge stranded copper welding wire with heavy duty parrot clamps. Very heavy but will have no problem starting anything on wheels lol

I have a cheap set I bought used off CL.
Little did I know the insulation on one of the cables was tearing away, exposing bare wire.
Nothing a bit of electrical/duct tape cant fix
thumbsup2.gif

The weather where I live is very mild, without the temp extremes of the prairies (coldest is -5C in winter) so I mostly carry them to assist others.

Can't go wrong with jumper cables... but I have been very impressed with my NOCO Li-Ion jump pack.

It can get you back on the road in moments without relying on a stranger for help.

Originally Posted by Chris142
If you use them let the running car charge the dead car for 1/2 hr or so before you try to start the dead car.

When I had a poor set of booster cables I used to let the running car charge the dead battery for 10 minutes or so. Now that I have a good set of cables, I just connect 'em up and start.

Originally Posted by Chris142
If you use them let the running car charge the dead car for 1/2 hr or so before you try to start the dead car.

Yes, then disconnect the cables before you try to start the dead car. I have read if you don't disconnect the cables, the surge current can fry electronics.

Originally Posted by Donald
I wonder if the cheap ones are aluminum or copper plated aluminum wire?

They're copper plated aluminum. They beat nothing, but a good set of jumper cables, kept away from the UV rays of the sun, will last a lifetime, so pure copper cable seem worth the money to me.

The all copper are also more flexible in cold weather, suffer less metal fatigue from bending in general, so that plus not needing as low a gauge to carry the same current, means you can coil them up tighter and stow in a smaller space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back