Mobil 1 vs RedLine - Road Trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I've read through a few similar threads, but I'd like to see what the group thinks about my specific situation.

I have a 2015 Infiniti Q60S 6MT (It's really a G37 for the unaware) with just shy of 16k miles on it.
I purchased the car about 2 months ago with under 15k and changed the oil immediately to Mobil 1 5w30 since I wasn't certain if the selling dealer had put cheap stuff in it or not. We're just about to cross over 1k on that OCI so far.

I have some RedLine 5w30 that I'm planning on switching to for my next OCI, but I have a 2500+ mile road trip planned at the end of this month where I'll be driving about 1100 miles each way without stopping other than for gas and bathroom breaks.

Would there be a benefit to swapping to the RedLine oil before the road trip?

It seems... wasteful... to drain out oil with only 1k on it, but I've read that these VQ engines are hard on oil and I was planning to make the switch eventually anyways.

I might still do it anyways if I get bored before my trip
lol.gif

Road trips this time of year are very easy on oil. Go with Mobil 1 Rollback oil at WM it will give your car more than ampule protect for half the money.

IMO it would be a waste of time and money. But it's your time and your money, so do whatever makes you happy.

If it were me I would just do the trip with the existing oil. You probably won't gain anything by changing it out now.

You'll feel really good with that Redline in.
But if you had a truck, you definitely need Rotella Gas to have maximum feel good points.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
IMO it would be a waste of time and money. But it's your time and your money, so do whatever makes you happy.

Amen … surprised by some of the other replies here

When you get back from your trip.......and the oil is hot...........change it then. You could let it drain ALL night !!!! Just think how much more oil be out of the engine !!!

Mobil1 all the way here. Plenty of time later to use the expensive Redline stuff. I've never thought they were worth it in daily drivers. If you want premium oil, put in BMW dealership LL-01FE oil next time, higher German specs than SN is.

Leave it, and if you want to change it, do it when you come back. It will be only a 3.5K OCI on a good synthetic oil.

As many know I do 10K OCIs. This weekend I will be driving to Wisconsin with my 2017 Fusion which has 9K on this OCI. Will likely put north of another 1K on the car. I have done these type of trips several times in the last 41 years of using M1 oils and have never had any adverse effects on my engines. Don't waste good M1 oil by putting RL in.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
You'll feel really good with that Redline in.
But if you had a truck, you definitely need Rotella Gas to have maximum feel good points.

Actually Castrol Truck with Titanium. The newest and bestest.

Only 1k on M1 is a huge waste. So is only 3500 miles on M1.

What is the factory interval recommendation? Since that is likely more than 3500, plus the fact that highway miles are easiest tells me that the first sentence above is true.

Change it when you get back....I'd be inclined to UOA...then do the same distance on the RL and compare how they did.

I would drain the M1 out immediately and replace it with a real synthetic like Red Line. Let me pull on my asbestos shorts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
I would drain the M1 out immediately and replace it with a real synthetic like Red Line. Let me pull on my asbestos shorts.

Lol

Originally Posted by sloinker

Don't let tig1 hear you say that!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back