2019 RAM Limited impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
when on it will pulse several times the steering wheel either left or right depending on which section of the solid lines on the road you have crossed. it will also give you a visual and audible warning on the dash display.

Everyone had jumped on the LKA system. There was never a hint of any outside forces on the steering wheel pushing back, no pulses and no visual or audible warning other than a little icon in the gauge cluster that would go from green to yellow when I went off center of the lane. Nobody's explaining why it would do this then a few miles up the road driving exactly the same the truck would change lanes perfectly.

Or you could use the turn signal.

On a rural interstate highway with no traffic behind you for hundreds of yards there's no need.

While it was fun to drive something will all of the gadgets it might be better to stick with lower models or plan on sitting in the rental lot for 30 minutes reading the owner's manual before you start out.

Anyway back to the truck, drivetrain and ride impressive, no rattles, likely decent mileage, all the gimmickry and gadgetry on this model is what it is.

Just doing some reading about this truck and came across eTorque, anyone know about this? This explains how hard this truck pulls when you stand on it.

"The word "hybrid" can make you think about tiny hatchbacks, but it looks like the eTorque light electrification system in the 2019 Ram 1500 will offer enhanced torque and fuel efficiency without making any sacrifices when it comes to performance. This system will be standard in both engines of the 2019 Ram 1500, and feature a belt-drive motor generator connected to a 48-volt battery pack."

[Linked Image]

If it's not the LDW then it must be normal for the truck to do the hoppity skip thing. It's a Fiat tradition.

The best looking truck inside and out on the market IMO. I'm thinking of a pickup for my next ride but I just can't bring myself to go with an FCA product. I'm sure there are lots of people here who have owned Rams with no issues but it's a mental block I don't know if I can get over. These things are everywhere here though and [censored] do they look good....

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Just doing some reading about this truck and came across eTorque, anyone know about this? This explains how hard this truck pulls when you stand on it.

"The word "hybrid" can make you think about tiny hatchbacks, but it looks like the eTorque light electrification system in the 2019 Ram 1500 will offer enhanced torque and fuel efficiency without making any sacrifices when it comes to performance. This system will be standard in both engines of the 2019 Ram 1500, and feature a belt-drive motor generator connected to a 48-volt battery pack."

[Linked Image]

IIRC, the ones with eTorque indicate they have it. Our sport does not have it.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
The best looking truck inside and out on the market IMO. I'm thinking of a pickup for my next ride but I just can't bring myself to go with an FCA product. I'm sure there are lots of people here who have owned Rams with no issues but it's a mental block I don't know if I can get over. These things are everywhere here though and [censored] do they look good....

I know things have changed quite a bit but I just don't entirely trust FCA reliability. I just bought an 01 Suburban with over 280K miles from the original owner. Unfortunately their brother was selling the car not them so I couldn't ask but from underneath the transmission and other major drivetrain components look original. Everything except for the power mirror works like new. It runs great. Vs an 05 Ram 1500 a customer gave me for free. Had about 230K miles. He was obsessive about maintenance until the very end when it was time for him to move on to something newer. The issues with the Dodge? If I remember right: rear end howled on the highway, tranny slipped when cold, heater core leaked, head gasket was bad, cracked exhaust manifold, the steering rack leaked, need I continue? That said, the Ram handled better and looked more macho I guess?

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

If that big thing on the front of the engine with the belt is the eTorque motor this truck had it.

I know things have changed quite a bit but I just don't entirely trust FCA reliability.

Yeah, looking at 15+ year old trucks with a quarter million miles is a good indicator of anything to do with a 2019.
33.gif

If that big thing on the front of the engine with the belt is the eTorque motor this truck had it.

Yup, that is it, can't miss it under the hood.

My Escalade uses the same size tires and I've never experienced any weird handling characteristics. What I HAVE noticed however, is that those tires are crazy expensive to replace. I just bought a set of Michelin Defender LTX a few weeks ago for it. $1,054 from Tire Rack, plus another $150 or so for installation.
cry.gif

Yeah, looking at 15+ year old trucks with a quarter million miles is a good indicator of anything to do with a 2019.
33.gif

Companies are not allowed to improve themselves. If they were ever mediocre, they will remain so until the ends of time because some people are still stuck in the Malaise era-1990's.

The only thing I don't like about the new 2019's is you can't get a pentastar powered Ram 1500 without the eTorque system. You can get the hemi with or without it. Might be why they're still selling the heck out of 2019 classics with the 3.6L.

Originally Posted by dogememe

I know things have changed quite a bit but I just don't entirely trust FCA reliability. I just bought an 01 Suburban with over 280K miles from the original owner. Unfortunately their brother was selling the car not them so I couldn't ask but from underneath the transmission and other major drivetrain components look original. Everything except for the power mirror works like new. It runs great. Vs an 05 Ram 1500 a customer gave me for free. Had about 230K miles. He was obsessive about maintenance until the very end when it was time for him to move on to something newer. The issues with the Dodge? If I remember right: rear end howled on the highway, tranny slipped when cold, heater core leaked, head gasket was bad, cracked exhaust manifold, the steering rack leaked, need I continue? That said, the Ram handled better and looked more macho I guess?

Yeah that sure sounds like someone who was "obsessive about maintenance" all right.....

Originally Posted by Skippy722

33.gif

Companies are not allowed to improve themselves. If they were ever mediocre, they will remain so until the ends of time because some people are still stuck in the Malaise era-1990's.

One of my engineers bought a 2018 new - I think that year model is relevant. Said he will never own another - sick and tired of taking it back to the dealership for endless problems or TSB's.

My 2010 GMC never went back a single time to the dealership - too soon to tell on my 2017/2018 GM's.

I will give you interior (too nice for my dirty habits) - but I'm not head over heals with the bumper to bumper stuff they keep pasting on. Please stop with the fender vents (or not), dual chrome exhaust right around the trailer hitch, chrome everywhere, all this bling already.

Originally Posted by 4WD

One of my engineers bought a 2018 new - I think that year model is relevant. Said he will never own another - sick and tired of taking it back to the dealership for endless problems or TSB's.

My 2010 GMC never went back a single time to the dealership - too soon to tell on my 2017/2018 GM's.

My father in laws 2011 GMC was nothing but nightmares, and he has sworn off GM entirely because of it. But my 2011 Durango was just as bad. You'll get horror stories about every brand though.

Probably 80% of mine over the years - every time I stray that's what I move back to

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

And if your sport model is equipped with the 3.92 posi rear it won't need it! Our 14 really goes if you simply disable the traction control system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back