F150 2015 2.7 54k miles Full Syn UAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UAO on my 2.7 truck. Haven't really had any issues with it. Lots of highway miles, and recently have started more in city driving. This was about 5k miles on the oil I wanted to switch out to a SN+ formula from now on as this fill was only SN. I cannot for the life of me remember if I used Castrol GTX 5w-30 or Havoline 5w-30 full synthetic. Looks ok to me other than maybe higher iron? Not sure why they labeled it as a diesel and got the mileage messed up.

f15027.jpg

Your TBN at 2.8 should have raised no caution flag. I'd go back to the WIX lab and get that oil and miles corrected. They likely still have your sample.

You're not sure if the oil is GTX dino or Havoline syn?
Or did you mean that both are syn?

I'm going out on a limb here and will say that the oil is GTX due to the higher Calcium & lower Magnesium levels that a dino has compared to a synthetic.

Last edited:
Right Char Baby, higher calcium means it was Castrol, not dexos1 Havoline LSPI-resistant oil. A "dino" can have low calcium if its a SN+ one, which this one was not.

Funny they thought this was a diesel engine, which the 2.7L turbo certainly has the CGI engine block for anyway.

Viscosity was too low for ony 5k miles. Not sure why it sheared that much without at least a little oxidation (due to turbo heat, etc.) to raise it back up more.
Iron might be OK for this engine type. Blackstone has Universal Averages that might clear it up. It does seem too high though.

Suggest switching to a better oil filter and oil too. Any full synthetic at walmart, 5w30 will do. Motorcraft oil filters fall apart like Purolators do. Any other filter than those.

Either were full synthetic SN labeled. I have not used any dino oil in the vehicle. I dont care much about what kind it was since I am switching to SN+ to see the difference if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back