Liqui Moly ATF Additive in Dexron 6 (GM auto tranny of e46 330xi)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

The GM automatic transmission (390R) in my 2001 BMW e46 330xi doesn't have any metal shavings or such stuff. Did 2 drain and fills + filter in last 2 years. Shifts just seem a bit off. 250k miles.

Would you recommend adding some of this? https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20040-ATF-Additive/dp/B004X63XVU?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It states though that it should be added to ATF 3, whatever that is....Dexron 3?

As I have Dexron 6 in my tranny, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your input guys!

Cheers,
fana

Not needed if the transmission is fine
smile.gif

I'd say keep using what got me to 250,000 miles.
If you want to feel really good, put some Transynd (Allison TES-295) in.
FWIW the 5L40 was designed and released (1998) well before Dex VI came out (2006)so no problem with the thicker stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fanatichuman
H

It states though that it should be added to ATF 3, whatever that is....Dexron 3?

As I have Dexron 6 in my tranny, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your input guys!

Cheers,
fana

Areas of application
Suitable for power-steering and automatic transmissions that are filled with ATF II and ATF III oils.

What is ATF II or III?

What is its chemistry and how will that chemistry affect your transmission and most importantly, how will it affect the friction coefficients with respect to your wet clutches?

Last edited:
Odd they say it has dexron III G approval when that can no longer be obtained.

dexron II is inferior to dexron III (and subsequently inferior to dexron VI), correct?

Jeah, I'm not wanting the LM stuff anymore since they only talk about compatibility with ATF 2 and 3. Now thinking about going with Lubeguard red bottle.

Reactions: XR6
Originally Posted by Fanatichuman
Jeah, I'm not wanting the LM stuff anymore since they only talk about compatibility with ATF 2 and 3. Now thinking about going with Lubeguard red bottle.

One can only (properly) claim compatibility or "recommended for" when it comes to those designations. The licensing was discontinued many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back