New Bridgestone Blizzak WS90

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Rand

Question is whether they need to?
Xi3 has full winter compound unlike Blizzak and proved to be better rounded tire. I think WS90 is an attempt to bite into market of Xi3.
I had DM-V2 on X5 which is same generation as WS80, and than Xi2, and although Xi2 is generation older than DM-V2, it proved better than DM-V2, especially in ice, dry and wet. Longevity is actually not comparable.
I am afraid that Bridgestone is hardening tread block for longevity while still keeping dual compound. That harder tread, what effect will it have in ice and snow?

First off blizzak has regular winter compound under the multicell compound.. Not sure I understand what you meant?
What exactly is full winter compound.
Also Xi3 and latitude xi2 are same time frame both newer than regular xi2.

Blizzak's except some LM series turn into all season compound at 6/32. I worn down my DM-V2 to 6/32 and they were useless in snow and ice after that. LM60 I had had full winter compound (were wearing out like crazy) and Blizzaks like LM32, 001 same thing.

The early Blizzaks had a all-season compound winter under their Multicell compound. Starting with the WS-60, that all-season compound got replaced by a winter compound.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Rand

Question is whether they need to?
Xi3 has full winter compound unlike Blizzak and proved to be better rounded tire. I think WS90 is an attempt to bite into market of Xi3.
I had DM-V2 on X5 which is same generation as WS80, and than Xi2, and although Xi2 is generation older than DM-V2, it proved better than DM-V2, especially in ice, dry and wet. Longevity is actually not comparable.
I am afraid that Bridgestone is hardening tread block for longevity while still keeping dual compound. That harder tread, what effect will it have in ice and snow?

First off blizzak has regular winter compound under the multicell compound.. Not sure I understand what you meant?
What exactly is full winter compound.
Also Xi3 and latitude xi2 are same time frame both newer than regular xi2.

Blizzak's except some LM series turn into all season compound at 6/32. I worn down my DM-V2 to 6/32 and they were useless in snow and ice after that. LM60 I had had full winter compound (were wearing out like crazy) and Blizzaks like LM32, 001 same thing.

The early Blizzaks had a all-season compound winter under their Multicell compound. Starting with the WS-60, that all-season compound got replaced by a winter compound.

Too bad I did not take a picture of DM-V2 after 25k. Not only that multicell siping crap is gone, but it is clearly different compound. Those tires at 6/32 would slide at sight of clouds, not actual snow.

Today Bridgestone has released a second new Blizzak tire, the LM005 performance winter.

https://www.tyrepress.com/2019/02/b...lm005-winter-tyre-with-a-grade-wet-grip/

2 photos here:

https://shina.guide/press/18016/#more-18016

Translated from article at shinaguide:

...To achieve the "outstanding performance" of the Blizzak LM005 on wet roads, snow and ice, the Bridgestone developers used innovative technologies for tire construction, and they initially focused on the expectations and needs of drivers who were interviewed throughout Europe. The study involved 20,000 people...

...We emphasize that the tires Bridgestone Blizzak LM-005 in the fall of 2018 were tested by an expert group TÃœV SÃœD.......the friction winter Bridgestone was also noted for the best in its class performance traction and braking on wet surfaces, making the Blizzak LM005 the first winter model that received a European class A label in wet traction...

I have yet to see any objective testing of the WS90 from the usual Scandinavian and Russian online sources. Sometimes they are provided with pre-production samples for testing, but perhaps Bridgestone did not do so earlier this year. Interestingly, the Michelin Xi3 was not included in most of these overseas tests this year, presumably because its replacement (Xi3+ ? Xi4 ?) is arriving in 2020.

I don't know if Consumer Reports is still doing annual testing of winter tires. TireRack does not have any test data or video yet.

Too bad I did not take a picture of DM-V2 after 25k. Not only that multicell siping crap is gone, but it is clearly different compound. Those tires at 6/32 would slide at sight of clouds, not actual snow.

Multicell is the top compound not the siping, but it has siping? yes the bottom 45% of the tread is a different compound, a winter compound, but it doesnt have the siping of the top.

NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V2's tread depth features the NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. When the Blizzak DM-V2 is approximately 50 percent worn, a depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction.

I have run ws-50, ws-60, ws-70, ws-80, dm-v2, xice xi2, continential ewc, cooper wintermaster+,dunlop m3, nokian wr-g2 suv, wr-g3 etc.
The worst after bring half worn were the dunlops.(which werent dual compound) at half worn they were sliding all over.

Any winter tire below 5/32 should be retired.

The ws-90 has the "next generation" multicell compound as well as full tread depth "features"-- I read that siping

I might end up with the ws-90 if we trade in the 2010 accent next week. I do agree 100% that both the dm-v2 and ws-80 had sudden breakaway issues vs previous models.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
I have yet to see any objective testing of the WS90 from the usual Scandinavian and Russian online sources. Sometimes they are provided with pre-production samples for testing, but perhaps Bridgestone did not do so earlier this year. Interestingly, the Michelin Xi3 was not included in most of these overseas tests this year, presumably because its replacement (Xi3+ ? Xi4 ?) is arriving in 2020.

I don't know if Consumer Reports is still doing annual testing of winter tires. TireRack does not have any test data or video yet.

WHo knows what they doing. Remember Michelin said they will offer North American winter tire? I am genuinely scared about that, as North American usually means cheaper and less capable.

I am guessing the new Michelin North American winter tire, to be manufactured in Nova Scotia, will be the Latitude Xi3 in sizes to fit CUVs, SUVs, and pickups.

https://www.rubbernews.com/article/...scotia-plant-ahead-of-winter-tire-launch

...Michelin North America (Canada) Inc. is budgeting $16 million in investments at its Granton plant to support the 2020 launch of a winter tire designed specifically for the North American market....The launch of the new, as-yet unnamed winter tire line will create 150 jobs at the Granton plant.....

...The new tire will build on the success of the Latitude X-Ice XI2 winter tires built at the Granton plant for Canadian and U.S. markets....

Originally Posted by SubLGT
I am guessing the new Michelin North American winter tire, to be manufactured in Nova Scotia, will be the Latitude Xi3 in sizes to fit CUVs, SUVs, and pickups.

https://www.rubbernews.com/article/...scotia-plant-ahead-of-winter-tire-launch

...Michelin North America (Canada) Inc. is budgeting $16 million in investments at its Granton plant to support the 2020 launch of a winter tire designed specifically for the North American market....The launch of the new, as-yet unnamed winter tire line will create 150 jobs at the Granton plant.....

...The new tire will build on the success of the Latitude X-Ice XI2 winter tires built at the Granton plant for Canadian and U.S. markets....

My Xi2 Latitude on BMW were Made in Spain and these on Toyota are Made in USA. Who knows what Michelin will deliver in the end.

Can anybody please help me choose between the Blizzak DM-V2 and the new WS90? Two people at the same Costco store recommended opposite things, one said DM-V2, the other said WS90. Yesterday, I called at least 5 different tire shops, I got 5 different answers. I even called Bridgestone and asked to speak with a technician, the person said DM-V2 but some people use WS90 because they are the same size. I have no idea, I'm more confused as days go by. It's like nobody has any idea what they're selling. I'd like to hear from somebody who has actually *used* either tire or even the WS80. I know that there will be different opinions, probably as many as road conditions, but my impression after talking to tire shop "technicians" or sales people is that they don't know much more than I do, and even less because perhaps they have to push a certain brand in case they get money back from the manufacturer. This morning alone, I talked to another tire shop and the guy said the Bridgestone were junk and that I would be better off with the BFGoodrich KSI (for which there are almost no reviews) and that he's been installing those for 5 years (very strange, since the tire has been out only for 2 years). At yet another shop, the guy said that the DM-V2 are a lower speed rating and my odometer would be messed up (though I'm not changing tire sizes!!!).

The tires are for a 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD (225/65/17). I don't know if that's considered a "heavy" SUV and would be better fitted with the DM-V2, or if the newer WS90 are the way to go. I live in Ottawa, Canada, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by hp9000
Can anybody please help me choose between the Blizzak DM-V2 and the new WS90? Two people at the same Costco store recommended opposite things, one said DM-V2, the other said WS90. Yesterday, I called at least 5 different tire shops, I got 5 different answers. I even called Bridgestone and asked to speak with a technician, the person said DM-V2 but some people use WS90 because they are the same size. I have no idea, I'm more confused as days go by. It's like nobody has any idea what they're selling. I'd like to hear from somebody who has actually *used* either tire or even the WS80. I know that there will be different opinions, probably as many as road conditions, but my impression after talking to tire shop "technicians" or sales people is that they don't know much more than I do, and even less because perhaps they have to push a certain brand in case they get money back from the manufacturer. This morning alone, I talked to another tire shop and the guy said the Bridgestone were junk and that I would be better off with the BFGoodrich KSI (for which there are almost no reviews) and that he's been installing those for 5 years (very strange, since the tire has been out only for 2 years). At yet another shop, the guy said that the DM-V2 are a lower speed rating and my odometer would be messed up (though I'm not changing tire sizes!!!).

The tires are for a 2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD (225/65/17). I don't know if that's considered a "heavy" SUV and would be better fitted with the DM-V2, or if the newer WS90 are the way to go. I live in Ottawa, Canada, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

I have the DM-V2 on my caravan. It's a heavier vehicle, so the DM-V2 has a stron. Do you know the weight of your rogue? You may get more flex on the sidewalls wi

Tire Rack has done some limited winter testing of the WS90: acceleration and braking on ice (in an ice rink presumably)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=250

Braking distances on ice, from 12mph:

Blizzak WS90: 30.4ft
Michelin Xi3: 32.2ft
VikingContact7: 28.7ft
IceGuard iG53: 30.4ft

As expected, all four tires in the group were strong performers on the ice, far and away better than any all-season tire. The Blizzak WS90 provided the fastest 60' acceleration time, and it seemed to work best with the vehicle's traction control system. The VikingContact 7 was less than a tenth behind, also feeling nicely synced with the vehicle's electronics. The iceGUARD iG53 essentially tied the Continental, though it felt like it slipped a bit more, primarily from a dead stop. As evidenced by its excellent elapsed time, once it hooked up, it made confident forward progress. There's no getting around it, the X-ice Xi3 is an older design, and the competition has passed it by in ice traction.
While it would make sense to think acceleration and braking traction are determined by the same characteristics in a tire, we find time and again that isn't always the case. Along those lines, there was a switch in the order for 12-0mph braking. Here, the Continental led the way by a narrow margin, followed by a tie between the Bridgestone and the Yokohama, with the Michelin just a couple feet back.

I've been a long time Blizzak fanatic since 1996, and I just put new WS-90's on my wife's Camry, in the narrower recommended size. Not much winter to try them out yet, but they have been on/off the car twice now waiting for the s to hit the fan. I have tried Michelin, and Nokian studded tires the past 2 winters on my Tahoe, and other Camry, and was not impressed at all.

Funny that you write this as it took Bridgestone 2 or 3 attempts to beat Michelin X Ice Xi3.
It looks like do not buy Xi3 this year as there are better, newer choices available.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by krzyss
Funny that you write this as it took Bridgestone 2 or 3 attempts to beat Michelin X Ice Xi3.
It looks like do not buy Xi3 this year as there are better, newer choices available.

KrzyÅ›

WS80/DM-V2 had serious issues when it comes to lateral handling in ice. WS90 seems promising. Will see next year. Since I returned to Costco for tires, it will be next winter Xi3 or WS90 for wife's car, unless Michelin introduces new tire.

This winter it seems to be Viking Contact 7 or WS90.
For studless tires.

KrzyÅ›

I know, but I just refuse to go to DIscount Tire anymore. Went there month ago to get nail out of Nokian's and I tell them to balance tires as it was shaking just a bit. What they did is absolute horror. Driving above 60mph was like being on those massaging chairs. Took car to Costco, paid them to balance tires and all is good (though they had to use so much weight that I think all $22 went to cover just that).
So, Costco, and with that WS90 or Xi3.

Sometimes local dealer ruins experience of very good product.
Oh well.
Maybe Michelin releases killer Xi4 next year ;-)

KrzyÅ›

Sometimes local dealer ruins experience of very good product.
Oh well.
Maybe Michelin releases killer Xi4 next year ;-)

KrzyÅ›

Maybe LOL.
I went to DT just bcs. I got Nokian's there so it was free. Just got reminded why not to come back. They are overworked, guy who I knew, was running that store and got me some good deals quit last spring. So no incentive to go back at all.

Back