Coated rotors for 2006 Honda Ody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all. I'm beginning a new project for the wife's 2006 Honda Ody namely the brakes. The community here assisted when I got new tires recently and we appreciate that very much. I have been reading alot of the old posts regarding new rotors and pads and after all that had a few questions. I live in Tennessee outside Nashville so we don't have real snows here like up north but a good deal of ice and rain in the winter. But still looking at coated rotors to install. The van itself has about 135,000 miles on the original brakes so they have done well. For coated rotors, I was looking at the wagner e-coat or raybestos element 3 coated since they appear to do well for other folks and both have very good warranty periods. Others only have a few months or 500 miles. Do any of you have experience in using the lifetime warranty for Raybestos for replacement? I read where other were using the AZ brake rotors and pads for the ease of replacement when they wore out. I wasn't sure if Raybestos was a simllar situation or not. Anyway, I was going to order from RockAuto since I have had good dealings with them in the past. Going with either of those two choices puts the pads and rotors at my front door for about $200.00 which is ok. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

The Element3 rotors are probably good, and since there isn't that much snow and salt used where you are, they should be fine
smile.gif

The coated rotors I have experience with are Wagner E-coated, Centric Premium, and Powerstop Geomet.

If you're already ordering from Rock Auto, get the Akebono pads.

The advantage to auto parts store premium brands is many do come with a "lifetime" warranty so they will replace them for as long as you own the vehicle, pad and rotor life is about 1--2 years and 15-40,000 miles depending on driving style and your vehicles habit of eating brakes. That's great IF you do your own labor or get it done by family or friends for next to nothing . Good coated rotors and quality pads like Akebono's can last much longer, I've had the current set of Centric Premium High Carbon Cryo rotors and Akebono Street Performance pads on my G37 for over 2 years and 25k miles mostly parked outside in the Pac Northwest and the rotor hats are still fully coated, 85% front pads and 60% rear remaining. Don't go cheap on tires or brakes, get the Powerstop geomet's or the Centric Premium's and pair them with the Akebono's and they should serve you well for the rest of the life of the van.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
If you made it 135k on the OEM Honda brakes why don't you just go back to that?

This logic sounds good to me.

I like centric premium coated rotors.

Well thanks to all who had provided input. I really appreciate it. I ended up going with the Raybestos coated rotors and pads from RA for about $185 and change. I considered the factory set but the price was way too high for what was going to be about $200 per corner. My weekend is now set if I can get those dang retaining screws out. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back