‘18 Odyssey 3.5 DI, Rotella GT/TGMO 0w20, 8,144 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my recent UOA with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w20(5 qts.) and TGMO 0w20(.7 qts or 22oz.) total of 5.7 qts. with oil filter changed. Oil had 8,144 miles.

The vehicle was driven normally aside from the last 2,200sh miles of road trip from Tulsa, OK to Seattle WA. During the trip, a 5x8 U-haul cargo trailer was attached with roughly 2,600 lbs. of stuff. The van had about 400 lbs. with the driver, passengers and luggage. The trip had a lot of long steep inclines in the Rockies and Cascades with elevations reaching up to 11,000 feet. Driving on steep inclines, it was very noticeable that the 3.5 V6 was struggling and loosing power with the RPM's reaching 3,700-4,500. No overheating or anything unusual during the whole trip and ambient temperature varied between 40-95 degrees Fahrenheit due to location and elevation.

I'm curious if the high altitude, high RPM moments/stretches compounded and caused the aluminum and copper to rise? Currently, the van is good, drives fine and sounds normal. In fact, the MPG slightly improved.

By the way, a Lucas upper cylinder lube/injector cleaner was added before I drained the oil.

-VCM disabled
-Honda A01 oil filter
-AEM DryFLo air filter
-Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w20--5 qts
-TGMO 0w20--.7 qts(22oz)

I would gladly appreciate any input!

07070BD6-6608-4820-B3C8-1449A86207F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by parshisa
no report

Phone glitched. Just updated. Thanks

i don't think these "extended" intervals are working well for you. I've learned that 4-5K works the best with my '16 pilot. you might want to try same schedule

Rotella Gas Truck by itself doesn't have that much molybdenum. Leftover from the previous used oil might boost it by +100 ppm at the most, then another +125 ppm from the TGMO added (0.7 qts), and Rotella contributes 150 ppm, added up its 375 ppm estimated. That corresponds to the 400 ppm OK.

Those high wear metals are puzzling. Engine is not new any more. I'd guess some hard contaminate scarred a bearing somewhere and its slowly shedding some material from ridges formed initially. It should settle down later you'd think and you can't do anything about it.

That is not long mile intervals. Viscosity held up well.and I don't think shorter intervals would help at all.

Last edited:
The copper stands out to me. If it were mine I would try a synthetic 5w30 and shorten the OCI.

I'm familiar with these engines but I believe they do show high wear metals for some reason. I'd stay with one oil for a few intervals because otherwise you're never going to know what is working. I don't think the oil had anything to do with what you're seeing here.

Originally Posted by buster
I'm familiar with these engines but I believe they do show high wear metals for some reason. I'd stay with one oil for a few intervals because otherwise you're never going to know what is working. I don't think the oil had anything to do with what you're seeing here.

Yes, but the 8,144 miles probably did. I like the suggestion of a 6K run.

Could you have higher wear metals driving in the Rockies while towing? I do recall when I was in Denver in July 2000 how you had to hammer the throttle to keep up when heading westbound.

Originally Posted by JC1
Could you have higher wear metals driving in the Rockies while towing? I do recall when I was in Denver in July 2000 how you had to hammer the throttle to keep up when heading westbound.
This vehicle has had high metals earlier when using TGMO, and assuming no towing back then. Towing shouldn't significantly change things anyway.

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by JC1
This vehicle has had high metals earlier when using TGMO, and assuming no towing back then. Towing shouldn't significantly change things anyway.

JC1, you're right that's why I specifically stated that driving on those uphill climbs were so taxing on a NA engine especially on the Rockies heading west(almost pedal to the metal). Also, Paoester is correct too for pointing out the previous fills with TGMO and the wear metals associated with it. No towing back then. I really do appreciate you guys chiming in!

All UOA for J35 engines i've seen with 8k+ miles onOCI produced high wear metals. Cut it down to 4K for couple of OCI and sleepwell

I'll tell you what, I just don't like going past 5,000 miles on a GDI engine anymore. That aluminum count would concern me enough where I'd never go 8,000 miles on that Pilot again. Isn't that Honda's engine with the fuel dilution problems? Or is the 4 cylinder in the CRV? Honestly I think they both have had it. And of course Honda wants the lightest weight oil possible...surprised they don't suggest the 0W16.

I "like" the 0W20 Rotella Gas Truck oil...been using it all year...it seems "good", but after reading your report I've got to admit I'm now having my doubts a little bit.

Maybe try a different oil and cut the interval down. Keep your receipts...if you ever - heaven forbid - need to use your power train warranty, Honda is going to want to see them.

Those are in line with what I saw in my Pilot last oil change. I'm doing a shorter 5K run from 20-25K to see what happens. If things don't start to look better then let's just say the Pilot is not a longterm keeper. I want a pickup truck anyway....just waiting to see what Toyota does with the Tundra....

Originally Posted by Railrust
I'll tell you what, I just don't like going past 5,000 miles on a GDI engine anymore. That aluminum count would concern me enough where I'd never go 8,000 miles on that Pilot again. Isn't that Honda's engine with the fuel dilution problems? Or is the 4 cylinder in the CRV? Honestly I think they both have had it. And of course Honda wants the lightest weight oil possible...surprised they don't suggest the 0W16.

I "like" the 0W20 Rotella Gas Truck oil...been using it all year...it seems "good", but after reading your report I've got to admit I'm now having my doubts a little bit.

Maybe try a different oil and cut the interval down. Keep your receipts...if you ever - heaven forbid - need to use your power train warranty, Honda is going to want to see them.

Unless you are doing the drive he did, and towing none the less I don't think you should be worried at all. There is more at play than the oil. Go watch TFL when they tested the Jeep gladiator towing up the IKE pass. That poor V6 sounded like it was going to grenade.

All UOA for J35 engines i've seen with 8k+ miles on OCI produced high wear metals.

My J35 hasn't had double-digit aluminum numbers on 10k-mile OCIs since it passed 15k on the engine. I also don't see nearly that much iron even in longer intervals.

The J35 here is the Earth Dreams (DI) version, and should have Variable Cylinder Management, too. Honda does each of those things poorly, as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by domer10
Originally Posted by Railrust

Unless you are doing the drive he did, and towing none the less I don't think you should be worried at all. There is more at play than the oil. Go watch TFL when they tested the Jeep gladiator towing up the IKE pass. That poor V6 sounded like it was going to grenade.

Right. They've also been testing the Rotella GT Oil in several applications. Waiting for the results.

Originally Posted by buster
Right. They've also been testing the Rotella GT Oil in several applications. Waiting for the results.
If something is mechanically wrong with "The Fast Lane" rotella test engine, a sample of one, then Shell will be too embarassed to show the results. Let's see how they show the results, whether its with general language ("It did reall good", or "Unsurpassability") or they actually have real honest numbers to show.

After noticing the oil in our Honda Pilot smelled like an open jerry can of gas, especially in the winter, I cut the OCI down to about 4000 miles, and changed up to a 30 grade oil. No difference in engine performance or fuel economy that I can feel. And the oil doesn't smell nearly as strong of gas ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back