BMW engine noise (w/ valve train pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 530i with M54 straight six. 240,000 miles abruptly started making loud engine noise, sounded like a piston pin loose or something similar, but sound didn't change with load. Same sound whether revving up or revving down, driving, idling, etc. so didn't make sense to me. Looked at oil filter and it was very clean, what the heck is this noise??? Then took off valve cover and things looked fine, nothing loose or scored, etc. Put it all back together and finally figured it out...it was the silly AC clutch bearing. Fortunately there is a separate belt for the AC and with it off, engine is super quiet and smooth as usual.

Here are a couple pics, I have a video from my cell phone but am unable to post it here for some reason. But here are a couple pics even though they don't help with the sound of course.

Thankfully it's not AC weather here in the northeast right now, but I'd like to fix it for next summer. The AC system still works great (when the belt is on) so I'd like to just replace the clutch and/or bearings etc without removing the compressor if possible. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch.

IMG_20190927_112204.jpg

IMG_20190927_112219.jpg

IMG_20190927_112141.jpg

Sorry can't help with the AC question. Hopefully someone can offer info about that.

Comment: Engine looks great and the cam lobes I can see look barely broken in.

Questions: Are you a long term owner and if so, what are your oil-changing habits and types of preferred oil?

Thanks

Ray

Ray,

Yes, I've owned it for 11 years now after buying it with 70,000 miles when it was 4 years old. Used the old "German Castrol" 0w-30 from 70,000 to ~110,000, then M1 0w-40 since then changed at approx 9000 to 10,000 miles, filter is Mann or Mahle or Hengst changed sometimes every change, other times I'd go two intervals.

Could be Vanos seals, common issue on higher mileage ones, but more commonly its a failing DISA valve. On the drivers side of the intake manifold, right next to the strut tower, is a black box bolted to the manifold with a plug on it. Unplug it while running and see if the noise stops. Its a plastic flapper valve to direct airflow, and when they break they rattle like crazy. Valve train looks great! Keep with it, I love these years of BMW, besides head gaskets and plastic cooling system, these are one of the best motors made by them.

Audios, thanks for your suggestions, but I found the problem to be the AC compressor clutch bearing. Removed the belt and engine sounds like new. I replaced vanos seals as a precaution several years ago, but disa valve has never been touched. Also, the head gasket has never had any issues, and cooling system still has original radiator (new water pump, thermostat and expansion tank).

Any ideas on replacing the ac clutch without removing the compressor?

roofless, yeah, that thread looks to be precisely what I need to do. I go through it thoroughly tonight when I have some time. Thanks!

I have my doubts that the OP had any strange noise at all. I think he was just looking for an excuse to post those great pictures. :)

I can only hope the insides of my engines look that nice. :)

I'm kidding of course. I remember chasing a rattling around on my car. Was convinced it was in my suspension. Just needed my parking brake adjusted.

Last edited:
Not sure what varnish people are referring to. Looks like oil to me. Looks very good considering BMWs are tough on oil. What type of filter are you using?

Yeah amblerman, we're a sick lot aren't we? lol.

Leakyseals, I've used Mann mostly, sometimes Mahle or Hengst a couple times. I've changed the oil about 15 or 16 times (~10,000 intervals) and the filter maybe 10 times (I could look at the maintenance chart in the glove box to be exact, but I'm not near the car right now)

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
What kind of varnish did you use?

Why don't you open YOUR engine and post the pics?

And then endure the snarky comments.

Its a nice filter. But maybe somethings gone wrong internally with the filter. Or maybe its like my 6.0 lq9, sensitive to high efficiency filters. That engine likes lower efficiency/ high flow filters or it rattles at startup and other times. I also found that the injectors can mimic lifter ticks when they get dirty. I've been using lucas deep clean with PEA once every oil change, quited them down significantly. Would have never suspected the injectors. Another possibility could be something related to or close to the exhaust manifold. Gasket, bolts, etc.

I found the source of the noise, it was the AC compressor clutch bearings. The engine is totally fine. It just took me a while to figure it out. I wish I could post the video of the noise.

[Linked Image from dfleisch.rocks]

Same engine.
Same thing.

Never did anything BUT 7.5 - 5k changes since 83,000 Miles
@ 208,000 now and it's running better than ever.

That's just the residue from 0-50,000 15k dealer changes with Castrol, I am sure

Originally Posted by dfleisch

Same engine.
Same thing.

That's just the residue from 0-50,000 15k dealer changes with Castrol, I am sure

Another M54. These are great engines!

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by dfleisch

Same engine.
Same thing.

Another M54. These are great engines!

Scott

There is good 2004 330 xi on sale with 93k, stick. I am itching all day should I fly to CT to pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back