Distributor Cam Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can find, the giant $50 tube of Bosch brand grease had been discontinued/is NLA.

With that gone, are there any favored brands for this now? Amazon has grease branded Enduralast and WVE. Any thoughts on those two? Are there any good alternatives that are not necessarily labeled for this application but will work,

Judy to be clear, I'm asking about the stuff that is used as a lubricant between the center cam and the heel of the points. There's not a ton of pressure on this spot. But it's critical that it stay in place while the cam is turning(up to 3k rpms for my cars).

Love it. That's a classic Bobis... post if ever we saw one. I too was wondering if the grease for this was still available. And anyone that knows would also be able to tell us...

Is rear-view mirror grease still sold in quart tubs or do they make you buy the whole gallon?

Last edited:
Unfortunately that lifetime supply of Bosch grease I bought had a lifetime until someone stole my toolbox....

Used a match head sized glob at a time any grease should be fine. Don't new points come with a little red capsule anymore? My '77 Stihl FarmBoss is still on its original points and grease, BTW
grin2.gif

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll see use a tiny amount of heavy axle grease.

BTW, the last several sets of points I've bought have not included any grease at all. I've run across NOS Lucas red box that didn't have any either. With that said, points for the Lucas 45D(what's on the Marina-the MG has a 25D) have a felt pad that "wipes" the cam constantly and is supposed to be greased. Old ones might have come pre-greased, but new ones certainly aren't.

Current points and condensers-at least for Lucas distributors-are so terrible now that I sometimes wonder if Pertronix pays off the companies making them. Condensers in particular have such a high failure rate that I no longer replace them when changing points provided that there's no evidence of the current one being bad. The one in my MG now has probably 5k miles on it, but I went through 3 to find one that would last more than a few hundred miles.

I have a tube of Niehoff moly dist. cam lube. Napa has this stuff. I wouldn't use anything else not meant for this purpose.

I'm thinking most any thick bodied grease will work fine here. What is the diameter of the cam 1" or so? Even if it's turning at 3K, (which translates to 6,000 RPM on the crankshaft), it's not going to be generating enough centrifugal force to remove it. Especially if you have a pad wiping and reapplying it on every revolution.

Originally Posted by billt460
I'm thinking most any thick bodied grease will work fine here. What is the diameter of the cam 1" or so? Even if it's turning at 3K, (which translates to 6,000 RPM on the crankshaft), it's not going to be generating enough centrifugal force to remove it. Especially if you have a pad wiping and reapplying it on every revolution.

Don't bet on it.

Originally Posted by nthach
The guys on the Samba use SuperLube for their distributor cams - a big tube of Bosch grease is pricey. Someone translated the German SDS for it and it seems like a mineral oil based, sodium soap thickened grease. I think Molykote 33 can also work.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652724

Super lube fixed my electrical digital speed sensor on my toyota, i lubed the rotating magnet and hall effect sensor. And it sprung back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back