Shell vs Delvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rileyc
Given the apparent authenticity along with the details of Shell's report of Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 failing the Volvo T-13 oxidation test, the question arises is how did Mobil achieve the API CK4/SN license for this product? The data from the report, if correct, clearly shows that the oil failed the oxidation test. Could this failure be an isolated case limited to a specific oil batch? Or, a problem with the oil formulation? I can only imagine how Mobil's OEMs, fleet customers, and light-duty diesel pickup users are reacting to these test results. It will be interesting to see how Mobil responds.

We shall soon have a datapoint; I sent in an oil sample from my Dodge 2500 last week of Delvac 1300 that has 26,000 miles on it, half of it towing.
I'm not worried.

Last edited:
Hm, looks like Delvac Super 1300 (15w-40 ; 10w-30) and its present euro/global version Delvac MX ESP (15w-40 ; 10w-30) is what one gets buying Volvo (Penta) VDS-4.5 or Cat DEO-ULS branded oils in those viscosities(which are sold in the typical XOM packaging).This cooperation has lasted long and one could easily find the easily obtainable analog of the OEM fluid (which might be Factory-fill too). I find it highly improbable that XOM would mess up here.

https://www.mobil.com/en/mobil-delvac/products/engine-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-1300-super
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/CM20180308-61025-41779

I received a response from Mobil Marketing re: Delvac 1300 Super HDEOs being synthetic blends. Effective July 1, 2019 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super HDEO is officially being marketed as a synthetic blend, and Mobil Delvac Extreme as a synthetic HDEO.

Since there are no official API guidelines regulating the percentage of synthetic base stock used in synthetic blend motor oils, there is no way to tell how much synthetic base oil is used in Delvac 1300 Super. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super has its share of critics here on BITOG, especially after Shell's allegation that the oil failed the Volvo T-13 oxidation test. However, it's good to see that Mobil is improving the formulation of Delvac 1300 Super, albeit incrementally.

Originally Posted by rileyc
I received a response from Mobil Marketing re: Delvac 1300 Super HDEOs being synthetic blends. Effective July 1, 2019 Mobil Delvac 1300 Super HDEO is officially being marketed as a synthetic blend, and Mobil Delvac Extreme as a synthetic HDEO.

Since there are no official API guidelines regulating the percentage of synthetic base stock used in synthetic blend motor oils, there is no way to tell how much synthetic base oil is used in Delvac 1300 Super. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super has its share of critics here on BITOG, especially after Shell's allegation that the oil failed the Volvo T-13 oxidation test. However, it's good to see that Mobil is improving the formulation of Delvac 1300 Super, albeit incrementally.

I've also noticed on Mobil's website that Delvac Super 1300 15W40 and 10W30 are now listed as semi-synthetic oils.

I recently switched back over to Delvac Super 1300 15W40 in my Pre-EPA Detroit Series 60 engine. I bought a couple of gallon jugs of 1300 15W40 at a Walmart in Childress, Texas about a week ago. It's currently marked at just under $11.00 per gallon.
thumbsup2.gif

Although "Semi-Synthetic isn't listed anywhere on the labels of the jugs I just bought.

Does anyone have any idea how to decipher Mobil's production codes? I'm curious to find out if the semi-synthetic version has hit the store shelves yet.

BTW, regardless if the jugs I bought are conventional or semi-synthetic, doesn't make a difference to me. I used CJ4 Delvac Super 1300 15W40 for the first 150,000 + miles, and my UOAs always looked very good.

I'm hoping they don't do a price-hike on the semi-synthetic labeled Super 1300 product.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Trucks have gone millions of miles on Delvac 1300 oil with zero problems.

Probably on any of the major brand name oils .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back