Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
You won't find a consensus but here are a few...

Purolator Boss
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Wix XP
Mobil1
Napa Gold
STP XL

etc..

Last edited:
I personally like the Ultra, because on eBay 6 of them can be pretty cheap, under $25. There's others that are pretty good too-Fleetguard Stratapore, Amsoil, Donaldson Blue, Royal Purple in synthetic media, M1, Bosch Distance Plus, even Fram EG/TG in blend. Ultra beats them in bang for the buck, though!

Originally Posted by wemay

Purolator Boss
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Wix XP
Mobil1 synthetic blend
Napa Gold synthetic blend
STP XL I think it is a synthetic blend?

etc..

I think the Ultra will get the most "best" votes, mainly due to availability and price.
Boss has had issues with sliced ADV (with no definitive proof of it being an actual issue).
Royal Purple (and Amsoil, same filter) are good, but costly.
Wix XP (and NAPA Platinum), are good filters, but lower efficiency than others.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Purolator Boss
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Wix XP
Mobil1 synthetic blend

etc..

I think the Ultra will get the most "best" votes, mainly due to availability and price.
Boss has had issues with sliced ADV (with no definitive proof of it being an actual issue).

Very good analysis here ^^^^^^^^^

I would add that the real world difference in motor longevity with either a Napa Gold and Fram Ultra would be so miniscule that it would not be measurable or meaningful.

Depends on what people's definition of "best" is.

What's your main top 3 requirements for an oil filter?

Originally Posted by bbhero

Purolator Boss
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Wix XP
Mobil1 synthetic blend

etc..

Very good analysis here ^^^^^^^^^

I would add that the real world difference in motor longevity with either a Napa Gold and Fram Ultra would be so miniscule that it would not be measurable or meaningful.

Maybe. There's no test data. If someone wins the lotto we might see a test but until then.....

That said maybe we DO have data after all - millions of Toyotas going long distances on the OEM filter, which is 50% at 20 microns.

Originally Posted by JLTD

That said maybe we DO have data after all - millions of Toyotas going long distances on the OEM filter, which is 50% at 20 microns.

Yes - maybe multi-pass efficiency is too overlooked. As the filter gets more clogged its efficiency goes up...but the bypass does not open. Wonder how quickly and often that happens on super tight mesh filters? Because - once the bypass opens, the filtering efficiency is 0%. This is why there's more to it than just the media. The bypass valve PSI and filtering media efficiency go hand in hand.

Purolator Boss
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Wix XP
Mobil1 synthetic blend

etc..

Is the ultra worth $14 when the Mobil1 is only $10 at Walmart? Which would filter better? And what about Mobil1 clones like the ecogard synthetic filter?

Originally Posted by JLTD

Maybe. There's no test data. If someone wins the lotto we might see a test but until then.....

I think of engine wear due to dirty oil as a function of the average particle count (APC) level times how long the oil is ran during the OCI.

APC x OCI = Wear Index

APC could just be the average PC at 6μ and 14μ, or even the average of all 4 test points.

Example
(6μ PC + 14μ PC)/2 X OCI = Wear Index

A longer OCI drives the necessary for a higher efficiency oil filter to keep the partical level down since the time factor increases. In other words, if someone did 5,000 mile OCIs with a 50% @ 20μ filter, the level of wear due to dirty oil may be about the same as doing a 10,000 mile OCI with a 99% @ 20μ filter.

If someone changed the oil every 750~1,000 miles you might not even need an oil filter.

Higher efficiency oil filters became more available and more popular as the average OCI inreased.

I agree, but I know some like to get all caught up in numbers, and while we don't know the exact specifics of Wix, we can get an idea from what they provide.
I know I ran nothing but Wix for many years without any issues related to filtration (and really, how often do we hear of issues caused by filtration problems)
Originally Posted by Bettez88
[
Is the ultra worth $14 when the Mobil1 is only $10 at Walmart? Which would filter better? And what about Mobil1 clones like the ecogard synthetic filter?

What Ultra is $14 with a comparable M1 being $10?
I know for my F150 an XG2 is $8.97 and a M1-210A is $9.97. An Ecogard Synthetic S4651 is $6.82.
For the Soul, an XG9688 is $10.97, a M1-104A is $9.97. Ecogard S10479 is $8.34.

Maybe some of the cartridges are priced that way though. Not sure.

I think if your wanting a syn blend filter, just go with a cheaper Wix, Fram TG, or an Ecogard. No point in getting a M1 that cost more and does the same thing.

I agree, but I know some like to get all caught up in numbers, and while we don't know the exact specifics of Wix, we can get an idea from what they provide.
I know I ran nothing but Wix for many years without any issues related to filtration (and really, how often do we hear of issues caused by filtration problems)
[

What Ultra is $14 with a comparable M1 being $10?
I know for my F150 an XG2 is $8.97 and a M1-210A is $9.97. An Ecogard Synthetic S4651 is $6.82.
For the Soul, an XG9688 is $10.97, a M1-104A is $9.97. Ecogard S10479 is $8.34.

Maybe some of the cartridges are priced that way though. Not sure.

I think if your wanting a syn blend filter, just go with a cheaper Wix, Fram TG, or an Ecogard. No point in getting a M1 that cost more and does the same thing.

All the filter you list last are all around the same cost for me. Fram tough guard is $6.82, ecogard synthetic is $7.78, Wix is 8.54, m1 is 9.97

I used to use Fram TG all the time when I was younger but the end caps turn me off.

I used to use Fram TG all the time when I was younger but the end caps turn me off.

But then again, the only end cap separation photos we have seen on here have been metal caps. I used to think metal was better but now I don't. Now it's either fiber ones or no caps at all.

I've never used a Mobil 1 filter
Never heard anyone here complain about em so I just might try one next oil change

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I've never used a Mobil 1 filter
Never heard anyone here complain about em so I just might try one next oil change

I have used them on both my DuraMax and the Corolla. But frankly I've seen nothing that makes me
believe they work any better than a Fram TG. I've done C & P's on both of them. My vehicles are never going to
see over 7500 mile OCI so to me the TG is just as good.

Originally Posted by kschachn

But then again, the only end cap separation photos we have seen on here have been metal caps. I used to think metal was better but now I don't. Now it's either fiber ones or no caps at all.

Really?! Wow I'd think the opposite...maybe FRAM isn't as bad as every claims they are...

Really?! Wow I'd think the opposite...maybe FRAM isn't as bad as every claims they are...

Why would it be opposite? With the fiber caps you are attaching two similar and porous materials unlike with a metal cap. With no cap at all the glue itself is the cap and it works very well.

But if you really feel the need for a metal cap the Fram Ultra has one, but that is also due to the metal wire backed synthetic media.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Why would it be opposite? With the fiber caps you are attaching two similar and porous materials unlike with a metal cap. With no cap at all the glue itself is the cap and it works very well.

But if you really feel the need for a metal cap the Fram Ultra has one, but that is also due to the metal wire backed synthetic media.

Totally agree - the AC Delco filters I use are really bonded well without a bunch of metal or potting glue killing the filter area.
Not saying I don't also use metal ends - but both are fine when done the right way

Purolator Boss
Fram Ultra
Royal Purple
Wix XP
Mobil1 synthetic blend

etc..

Fram Ultra $14? I think the price is same as Mobil 1 at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back