Tools to cut 2AWG cable?G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I need to cut 2AWG cable so need a tool for this.

I know there are dedicated cutters for this but since I will never need them again I was wondering what other tools there are that I could buy which would be more useful in the long term?

For example, would these work as I would rather have these any of these tools in my toolkit:
Aviation snips
Bolt cutter
Hose cutter

Use a hacksaw. Once the cable is parted and stripped you can use wire cutters on a few strands at a time to clean up the end if needed.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
a bolt cutter should do it

^^This^^+ safety glasses

Never have used 2-gauge, but have used 4-gauge welding cable to wire up amps for radios. I used bolt cutters.

[Linked Image]

Both would work well.

branch loper will work. Jig saw, hack saw, even a cross cut saw. Copper is soft.

The angle grinder will work well

Originally Posted by mk378
Use a hacksaw. Once the cable is parted and stripped you can use wire cutters on a few strands at a time to clean up the end if needed.

Yep .

Loppers always worked for me. Make sure they're sharp and well-adjusted to avoid mangling the ends.

Avoids the mess of the various saw methods.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Originally Posted by Trav
I Use these, great for cables and harder to cut hose types. I user them on 1/0 cable all the time, nice clean cuts.

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-911CB-Cutter-Comfort-2-Inch/dp/B000HB32FW

Is that a lug crimper in the handles?

as another person has said , that is not a crimper. And I wanted to explain why.
The shape is all wrong. Trav mentioned he uses a hydraulic crimper.
With real crimpers for in that size, both the hydraulic and manual crimpers have hexagonal jaws to crimp on all sides. The travel stop on the linked cutters would just crush the 2 AWG lug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back