Do we really need paper media filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
***This would not pertain to vehicles with engines that have extremely tight bearing clearances***

Do we really need highly restricted paper media oil filters when the oil is changed at 3k miles? I'm thinking a felt style media that will catch 50 micron particles well but pass the smaller stuff should be fine.

The engines own wear particles should be the only contaminates in the oil and by nature would be very small anyway.

What am I missing here? Where are these large contaminates coming from?

Obviously I don't think robust oil filters are unnecessary for everyone. Those who can't change their own oil (not hating I'm too stupid to change my own sometimes) and those who live in arid/sandy places come to mind.

Wouldn't gas mileage benefit from the reduced engine strain.

Last edited:
Felt releases its own particles.....kind of like Fram used to release cardboard from the glued end pieces.....

Bearing inserts are designed to embed contaminates. It's the needle bearings & rollers found in so many valvetrains today along VVT actuator solenoids that need clean oil.

Engine's didn't used to have full-flow oil filters & bypass filters were a option. I think Chrysler was the first of the big 3 to install full-flow filters.

Engine are now using Electronic Flow-Control solenoids on oil pumps to reduce parasitic loss from driving the oil pump to mechanical relieve during cold starts & high RPM.
The GM Ecotech3 engines are what I'm most familiar with using this set-up, They use variable displacement pump similar to the pump in a Automatic Transmission. It has precise control over the pressure from what I've seen.

Originally Posted by onespiritbrain
Wouldn't gas mileage benefit from the reduced engine strain.

Most oil filters are running around 3~4 psi delta-p most of the time. Google hydraulic HP equation and run the required HP numbers to overcome 3~4 psi of fluid pressure. It's miniscule.

Do we really need highly restricted paper media oil filters when the oil is changed at 3k miles?

You really need highly efficient AIR filters ... keep the dirt out, and the oil filters job is easy.

Do we really need highly restricted paper media oil filters when the oil is changed at 3k miles?

Where's the actual flow vs delta-p test data that shows certain oil filtets are highly restrictive.

There use to be a long lived internet tale that Purolator PureOne oil filters were "very flow restrictive" because they were so efficient. Then actual test data of the flow vs delta-p was shown, which kiboshed that false tale.

What happened to microGreen filters … used to be lots of chatter here over those

***This would not pertain to vehicles with engines that have extremely tight bearing clearances***

Do we really need highly restricted paper media oil filters when the oil is changed at 3k miles?.

I believe this is called a strawman argument.

Most, or really all, of my thoughts about anything relating to oil/filters, originates from an issue I am having with my vehicle.

I am fighting low oil pressure in my VG33 engine. Is it bearings or a worn pump, I don't know, but I feel like a filter with less restriction would benefit me.

After some research the anecdotal consensus says that K&N oil filters provide the least resistance to flow. If I'm not too poor for the $15 filter I will try one next OCI.

Something I notice having a worn engine is that while I don't have oil pressure low enough to signal the idiot light, I do have poor flow at idle enough that valve train noise appears and disappears with higher RPM/oil flow.

My thought is that as a vehicle's oil pump begins to have trouble delivering oil to the valve train, a filter with less restriction to flow might help.

Last edited:
50 microns seems too generous. Why did you pick that number? I work with bearings and contaminant analysis. 50 microns is huge.

Most, or really all, of my thoughts about anything relating to oil/filters, originates from an issue I am having with my vehicle.

I am fighting low oil pressure in my VG33 engine.

Most likely worn bearings. Worn oil pump making low pressure is virtually unheard of.
Gaining 1 psi with lower filter restriction won't make a meaningful difference.
How many miles on the engine?

I think paper media is a good choice for standard /economy filters going up to 5k mile OCI. Assuming the engine has received regular service, 5k miles is not long enough to load up the media. Who changes their oil at 3k anyway? Even conventional oil in severe service can go at least 3750 miles.

I don't think the oil filter has anything to do with your issue ... but,

The only filter I have seen that specifically mentions FLOW is the Fram Racing line. Fram states ...

Low-restriction racing media designed for high oil flow. The media features 94% efficiency @20 microns for excellent engine protection.**

Recommended maximum oil flow: 10-18gpm, depending on model.***

[Linked Image]

No free lunch in life even at higher cost. Efficiency and holding capacity?
How long does Fram recommend running a racing filter?
Or the Ford version some post here?

I mentioned 50u for non performance bearing clearances. My engine was stated to be @ 130k miles from the junkyard and I've put 20-30k more in it, however I suspect the 130k # was either a lie or whoever had the engine before me didn't take care of it at all. The cams and cam bearing surfaces were so bad I had to use the heads off another engine.

I guess a worn gear pump usually makes quite a racket as well. Maybe it is bearings after all. I checked them not long ago during a head gasket failure while the engine was out and they look good to me. I'll post a picture when I get home tonight.

I appreciate the knowledge. So the filter shouldn't produce a restriction the gear pump can't just push through without issue. Not much else it can be but bearings..

Also I change my oil at 3k because it is black at that point. I do use "full synthetic" (RGT this past OCI).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
No free lunch in life even at higher cost. Efficiency and holding capacity?
How long does Fram recommend running a racing filter?

Fram states up to 6000 miles for the racing line.

I appreciate the knowledge. So the filter shouldn't produce a restriction the gear pump can't just push through without issue. Not much else it can be but bearings.

Unless the oil pump is totally shot (which I doubt) then yes, it will still force the same oil flow through a slighty more restrictive oil filter. Google 'positive displacement oil pump' and read up on how they work.

From how you describe the condition this engine was in when you got it, I'd say it's not in very good condition, and your low oil pressure is not caused by the oil filter unless the oil pump is really getting bad. It's probably excessive bearing clearances.

What weight engine oils have you tried? A thicker oil might make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back