Loud vs Quiet Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I agree that M1 is loud compared to others. Why are some insisting on scientific proof? If you hear it, that's your proof. People on this forum know how their engines sound. They can tell when it quiets down or gets louder. The quietest oils for me are valvoline synpower, magnatec, and pyb. All 20 wts. Vehicles are 2011 elantra and 2013 civic ex.

i think its engine dependent,used m1 in my cts it was dead quiet,changed to redline it was the same after 1kmiles,now uses motul 8100 after magnatec in my cx5 and its all the same.

I haven't heard too much noise from a Toyota V6 or V8 on PP, Magnatec or Chevron. I have my parent's LS430 on Idemitsu Zepro and it seems to sound like a Lexus should but a little more silkier due to the higher Mo content of Idemitsu's oil. There was Warren in the sump before and I didn't hear a discernible difference. It seems like Chevron(Oronite), SOPUS(Infinieum) and Idemitsu are big fans of moly, while Castrol and P66 are believers in Ti(but it's not to be found in the GTX family or the cheaper lines of P66, just Kendall and P66 with Liquid Titanium).

Some engines are just noisy. Small Toyota I4s, German V6s and a few others will be noisy no matter what you use.

i bet if u did a test where u have to guess the oil in the car,with or without moly,this brand thar brand.
,same grade ex no one will know,its a palsibo effect more then anything.

Originally Posted by avi1777
i think its engine dependent,used m1 in my cts it was dead quiet,changed to redline it was the same after 1kmiles,now uses motul 8100 after magnatec in my cx5 and its all the same.

I believe that is true ^^^^^

It is engine dependent... My lady's Camry was loud as all get out on Super S and Cam2 mix... Yet my Nissan Altima VQ was dead quiet on Super S...

Originally Posted by avi1777

Same. Used M1 in my corvette, smooth as butter. Used M1 in my subaru, sounded like the engine had nuts and bolts in it.

Sound is tricky stuff - when I was dB meter testing and the PUP was the loudest - it sounded loud under the metal roof in front of my shop.

Short time later I went through a drive thru for bbq - and against the brick it was not loud

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Sound is tricky stuff - when I was dB meter testing and the PUP was the loudest - it sounded loud under the metal roof in front of my shop.

Short time later I went through a drive thru for bbq - and against the brick it was not loud

Telling you...

I am buying you some hearing aids for Christmas... They gonna make good stocking stuffers
lol.gif

My old truck engine is very quiet on the oil i but i treat my oil with a whole bottle of lubegard biotech every oil change it is loaded with moly. My other favorite quiet oil is PYB.

Originally Posted by 4WD
bb ... Have you gone

Been accused of far worse in my time 4wd
lol.gif

I'm gonna hook you up with some Miracle Ear HAs...

Originally Posted by 4WD
I'd send you a lump of coal - but you already have more to start with
wink.gif

Heck... I'd add that to the charcoal and hickory wood chunk when I make my smoke spiral ham
lol.gif

Heck... I'd add that to the charcoal and hickory wood chunk when I make my smoke spiral ham
lol.gif
[/quote] And no place does it better than the south. Can taste it from here.
smile.gif

I generally use synthetic but the few times I have run conventional in my altima and the wife's old Chrysler 4.0 mini van engine. Shell from menards was by far the quietest. It also produced the best mpg in the mini van.

46F this morning. Rotella Gas Truck keeps the 4.0 a bit quieter on cold starts than EDGE EP, much to my surprise. Maybe it's the 160ppm of moly. Who knows.... I drained EDGE EP out early (waste I know) as I wanted to do one more oil change before winter. I usually go 5k on the OE fill but not this time lol. I picked up RGT for $20 on clearance at AZ.

I must be the odd man out. I found both Pennzoil and Mobil 1 products to be quiet in my vehicles. I did hear a bit more noise with a well respected boutique oil, both in 0W20 and 0W30... I do prefer a "quieter oil" even though many claim the acoustics have no meaning. If noise indicates metal to metal contact I'd rather not have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back