Best Lube for Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disassembled a 40 year old Craftsman (forged in USA) ratchet. More for curiosity than necessity. Once the snap ring was off, very easy.

Very well made - where did we lose our way??

Remarkably clean after all these years. Cleaned parts with solvent. What is best lube to use? Lithium grease or ?? Does it really matter that much?

Talk about opening a Pandora's box or a can of worms.
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on the subject. Some will soak the ratchet head in oil every night and others put in a dab of grease. I've always been in the "dab of grease" opinion, as nothing bothers me more than a brand new ratchet that has loud clicks when in use.

On my Snap on and other sealed ratchets I use the Super Lube (not often and only a very small amount) which is Snap on OE on others inc the old non sealed Snap on I toss the head in a jug of ATF over the weekend if it got a lot of use.
Working a cold climate really makes a difference. Grease tends to increase back drag significantly which really sucks, the ATF works great and although it does not have the same noise cushioning effect as grease the tooth wear is not any greater and the back drag is minimal, it also keeps them very clean inside.

For fine tooth ratchets I soak them in ATF, as per Trav's recommendation. For coarse geared ratchets I use Super Lube grease, sparingly. I want to gears to mesh, not float on the grease.

Friend had an OLD, worn Snap-On ratchet.
I took it downstate (where people and commerce dwell) and approached a Snap-On route driver parked at a Chevy dealership.

You know I enjoyed doing this.

He must've had 7 styles of rebuilding inserts but none for this relic. He ordered up 3 sets and told me to return in a week. He told me to keep possession of the tool.

He popped the guts out and applied a dab of dark grease to the new inwards. He circled the new ratchet wheel with the thinnest of smears.

Originally Posted by Kruse
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on the subject.

You've got that right!

I tend to prefer heavy oils like assembly lube.

Originally Posted by Kruse
You're going to get all kinds of opinions on the subject. Some will soak the ratchet head in oil every night and others put in a dab of grease. I've always been in the "dab of grease" opinion, as nothing bothers me more than a brand new ratchet that has loud clicks when in use.

Just like our oil debates, and the thick vs. thin oil wars.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back