Walmart changes battery supplier again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Walmart has gone back to Johnson Controls batteries after getting Exide batteries earlier this summer. Today was the first shipment we received, so they will be back on the shelf. Note this is regional, most likely the Midwest. I know some of you will welcome the change back.

The JC guy that delivers the batteries said JC has been bought out. Not sure what company bought them out, I forgot.

Now if only I didn't buy that Exide battery last month...

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
My Walmart has gone back to Johnson Controls batteries after getting Exide batteries earlier this summer. Today was the first shipment we received, so they will be back on the shelf. Note this is regional, most likely the Midwest. I know some of you will welcome the change back.

The JC guy that delivers the batteries said JC has been bought out. Not sure what company bought them out, I forgot.

Did you ever see any East Penn made ones? I heard WM had some for a little while, but I never saw any here.

I bet you are exactly right about that... It is very likely a Midwest and out West plan for their battery supplier.

from reading on this site johnson controls sold their battery business to an overseas outfit a year or so ago, soooo who knows what your getting. like when i was shopping for a new toilet, learned most if not all american name brands are cast in CHINA!!

I recently bought a new battery at Wal-Mart in Oklahoma and they had both JC and Exide batteries depending on the particular model... Group 24, 25, etc...

We will welcome East Penn. JCI since being sold is not what they use to be, but still better than Exide.

At the closest two WMs here, still JC, never changed. Recently purchased a Value Power Group 35 battery for an Accord V6, it's JC and does not say made in Mexico anywhere on the battery.

Awhile ago was in a WM a little farther away and they carried the East Penn made batteries.

Originally Posted by Donald

We will welcome East Penn. JCI since being sold is not what they use to be, but still better than Exide.

My observation is that JCI is no longer US made.

What recent experience do you have to substantiate claims regarding exide? I procured an exide battery from Home Depot and have been satisfied with it. If we're talking old information, it's not helping anyone. If it's actually recent, then it should be stated as such.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Curious how do you tell if the battery is JC, Exide or East Penn? Aren't they all private labeled?

It says right on the label (in small print)... "Distributed by Johnson Controls" or whatever

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Curious how do you tell if the battery is JC, Exide or East Penn? Aren't they all private labeled?

It says right on the label (in small print)... "Distributed by Johnson Controls" or whatever

They also say in the serial number. Exide starts with EX, and Johnson Controls starts with JC, and I'm gonna guess East Penn is EP.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
AFAIK, JC recently got rebranded as Clarios, under new management:
https://www.autonews.com/suppliers/why-clarios-sticking-lead-acid-batteries

That's what the JC guy was saying. I don't think they are going to rebrand Johnson Controls Batteries but the parent company. I might be completely wrong though. They probably would have done it by now if they were going to do it.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX

They also say in the serial number. Exide starts with EX, and Johnson Controls starts with JC, and I'm gonna guess East Penn is EP.

You are exactly right... East Penn is EP in the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back