Changing oil did a dumb thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just would like some opinions on what I did. I changed my oil in my 08 MB v6 diesel. It uses 8 qts and I usually put in 7.5. I put in 4 qts of Mobil 1 TBT and reached for the 2nd jug, picked up the wrong jug and put in about 2.5 qts of Mobil 1 0-40. Caught myself and then put in 2 more qts of of TBT. I'm leaving on a 10 day trip of over 2k miles. Thinking it will be ok and I'll just leave it in there.
Before the argument starts, I have been using a mid saps oil in it and decided to switch to TDT because I have seen some great uoa's on that oil in these vehicles. I'm going to .8 saps to 1. I know the 0-40 is over 1. It will be mostly highways miles.
What say the bitogers .

You do realize that "great UOAs" have a whole lot more to do with the engine than the oil, right? That changing oils and chasing a couple PPM of wear materials is going to do nothing in the long term scheme of things.

Pick an oil that meets your engine's spec and roll with it. IMO if you're chasing anything, you'd come out far ahead chasing oils based on price vs. chasing oils based on "better UOAs". Any oil that meets the official specs and is certified is going to produce extremely similar "actual" wear, if you did a teardown and measurement. Oh yeah, and don't skimp on filters, because any oil will produce bad results if contaminants are left to circulate unabated.

I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't do it intentionally, but I still believe this will be no big deal.

Does M1 TDT even meet the MB spec for this engine?
I don't think it does.
Adding the arguably better M1 OW-40 certainly won't cause any harm.
Low SAPS oils don't look all that good anyway.
I'd drive this unintentional blend without any worries.

You have created MKD (Mobil Kompressor Diesel) oil.

Check the tires and have a safe trip.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You have created MKD (Mobil Kompressor Diesel) oil.

Check the tires and have a safe trip.

That is awesome 4wd

lol.gif

A oil "love child" ...

They needed a new product until M1 Hybrid comes out - they already have a huge market share in wind turbine oil - why not ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tundraotto
0W16 is coming for sure. Isn't that kind of the same thing
smile.gif

No...
lol.gif

Big difference between Treehugger and the 0w16...

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Does M1 TDT even meet the MB spec for this engine?
I don't think it does.
Adding the arguably better M1 OW-40 certainly won't cause any harm.
Low SAPS oils don't look all that good anyway.
I'd drive this unintentional blend without any worries.

It meets the older spec for this engine, not the latest due to .2 more SAPS.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
0W16 is coming for sure. Isn't that kind of the same thing
smile.gif

0w-8 is the next step coming in accelerated engine wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back