Ceramic Coatings confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have prepped all the cars for winter. when the sun decides to show its face again in the PNW i want to try to ceramic coat my cars.. i am so confused at all the prices on ceramic coatings . the pricing varies so much.

i see them from $10 to $200 for ceramic kits on amazon. So how do i know whats good?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i have prepped all the cars for winter. when the sun decides to show its face again in the PNW i want to try to ceramic coat my cars.. i am so confused at all the prices on ceramic coatings . the pricing varies so much.

i see them from $10 to $200 for ceramic kits on amazon. So how do i know whats good?

I'd be personally concerned that one is just buying into a fad, snake oil, rather than a legitimate product that can "ceramic coat". Ceramic implies some sort of silica, and solutions which are, at best, just a bunch of liquid, do not exactly lend themselves to what is ordinarily associated with silica or ceramic. If manufacturers could achieve superior long-term results in terms of paint quality by "ceramic coat"ing their cars, why don't they do it from the factory? Why has the traditional autobody sector basically laughed at the purveyors of these compounds? Is there really anything to be gained by an alleged "ceramic coat" compared to using a relatively high quality but inexpensive wax like 3M 39030?

It's not a fad, ceramic coatings work. The contain solids that once hardened will permanently ruin the towels, etc. they are applied with.

Buy a name brand (CQuartz, Gyeon, Modesta) from a reputable retailer. Not Amazon.

Keep in mind that your car will need a full paint correction before you can properly apply the coating; I recommended you let a professional do it.

False thread
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
It's not a fad, ceramic coatings work. The contain solids that once hardened will permanently ruin the towels, etc. they are applied with.

Buy a name brand (CQuartz, Gyeon, Modesta) from a reputable retailer. Not Amazon.

Keep in mind that your car will need a full paint correction before you can properly apply the coating; I recommended you let a professional do it.

Amazon isn't a reputable retailer?
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by leje0306

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

No, they're not. Not when it comes to items that are easily spoofed or imitated. Chinese LED bulbs and "ceramic coatings" come to mind. There's a lot of trash to sift through on eBay as well. If the price seems too good to be true, it is.

Buy a real product from a retailer like autogeek.

Originally Posted by leje0306

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

The problem with Amazon is that they sell stuff from 3rd party retailers also. The 3rd party retailers will have fakes. They send their inventory to Amazon and Amazon throws it all in one bin so even if the retailer you buy from is Amazon, you might end up with a fake that a retailer sent to Amazon. They're working to control this but I'm not really sure they've fixed this problem.

Lots of fake stuff on Amazon......I won't buy parts there anymore. Got some supposed AC Delco stuff that upon further inspection was a knockoff. Amazon did refund me at least. They say they are working on the problem but given the scale and size of Amazon, and how much it would cost them to really fix it....don't think it will ever happen. It can happen at any retailer really. What's to stop a local Ford dealer from sliding in the odd Motorcraft knockoff now and again to pad their profits a bit. Buyer beware.

For what it's worth, there are actually some pretty decent ceramic coatings on Amazon under the name "MrFix9H". I've seen a couple used, and they do work well. Application is key, and proper surface PREP is absolutely essential for good results. Overall, they don't last as well as some of the name-brand ceramics like CarPro, Sonax, Migliore, etc.. but when done right, they still do a pretty darn good job, especially at the $10 price tag.

It is true, though, that there are also some knockoffs on there that are junk.

I actually bought one of this particular MrFix9H product on Amazon, and was pretty pleased with the results.

I gave up on the ceramics. I can't get a straight answer from anybody about any of them. I'm just going to keep using what I've always used...Collinite 845...it's inexpensive, easy to use, it looks awesome, and lasts a long time...no reason to use anything else...

Originally Posted by grampi
I gave up on the ceramics. I can't get a straight answer from anybody about any of them. I'm just going to keep using what I've always used...Collinite 845...it's inexpensive, easy to use, it looks awesome, and lasts a long time...no reason to use anything else...

What answers are you looking for? We've had several threads on them here alone, and any professional installer worth allowing to touch your car should give you a VERY detailed brief on any coating he wants to sell you. Pros, cons, what they can and can't do, how to care for them, etc...

You can't get answers if you don't ask questions.

I just had my Cayman done with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. It was expensive, but I can see the benefits so far, the car stays cleaner and it's way easier to clean. Time will tell if it was worth it but initial impressions are high.

Originally Posted by grampi

What answers are you looking for? We've had several threads on them here alone, and any professional installer worth allowing to touch your car should give you a VERY detailed brief on any coating he wants to sell you. Pros, cons, what they can and can't do, how to care for them, etc...

You can't get answers if you don't ask questions.

Sorry, I'm talking about the self-applied ceramics, not the professionally applied ones....I would never spend that much money when I can make my vehicles look as good and protect them just as well...

Most consumer grade ceramic coats don't hold up like the professional grade stuff. You cannot buy it without being licensed by the manufacture.

But I've tried mr.fix 9h off eBay. Coated my dads car and so far still beading tight almost 2 years later, but my also doesn't wash often so that may play a role into how well it's holding up. I usually top off with a detailer spray/drying aid and results are good. Doesn't look freshly waxed but still better than any car that was waxed 20 months ago.

I coated my wheels with gold label off amazon and it's been holding up well 2 months later. Easy to clean and wheels look glossy every time they're cleaned

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back