Car Dealer Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Wolf359
That's basically one way that business shut down. They basically run out of money and just close up shop one day. Look at Thomas Cook, a large travel agency that had been around a long time, the whole chain just shut down one day stranding a bunch of travelers.

I've read that Thomas Cook has had financial difficulties for some time now. They had success in getting loans to tide things over until one day those loans stopped.

Infinity seems to be doing the same as Mitsubishi. Interesting because they are in the same family.

Originally Posted by opus1
That's basically one way that business shut down. They basically run out of money and just close up shop one day. Look at Thomas Cook, a large travel agency that had been around a long time, the whole chain just shut down one day stranding a bunch of travelers.

Basically this. If the business is going under with no plans to reorganize, what do they care who they leave in a lurch?

Better to shut down and pay existing employees rather than continue and not be able to pay employees.

I said this the other day, I purchased a 2011 pro4x new in 2011, and as I'm looking for a new truck I went to take a look at the 2019 lineup at Nissan....It was like I stepped into a time machine and was sitting in my 2011. Literally everything was the exact same, except for a postage size infotainment screen....which I just added a great pioneer double din screen in 2011. Especially infinity with the constant changing and pointless alphanumeric car badging, along with shoddy interior materials. They were on the right track with the G lineup, fx, lineup etc....they should have just built on top of that.

Yeah they were but then the CEO stroked out while listening to the Avenue Q soundtrack (one assumes from the new naming strategy), then embezzled a lot of money to support some of his as of yet undisclosed vices and went to prison. So now Infiniti is just tarted up last gen Japanese Volvo.

Originally Posted by Leo99

My wife's gynecologist quit his practice with a sign on the door. He put a little ad in the paper that is practice was closed and all medical records would be available for retrieval for 2 weeks. He was gone.

Did he have to close because he was in the hole?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Did he have to close because he was in the hole?

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Dealers around here that have closed just put the sign up and then have an office person clean up the paperwork for however long it takes. At one point there was a Ford dealer here while where I work was a Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda dealer. About 3-4 months after I started here they pulled the plug on the Ford dealer. We interviewed everyone from there and cherry picked who we wanted. There was a definite culture clash for a while but about a year later things smoothed out. I started here in 2007. Now we have 2 techs from the old Ford dealer still, awesome guys. I am actually the 3rd longest serving employee at this location
crazy2.gif

Dealers close suddenly or the automotive groups(AutoNation, DCH, Hendrick, Penske, Sonic) want to consolidate stores. In the Bay Area, the Toyota/Mitsu/Hyundai/FCA dealer in Fairfield suddenly closed - turned out the group that owned them was in financial trouble. They were owned by another automotive group(Thomason from Oregon) that also went under.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20080331/GLOBAL03/303319995/dealer-sours-on-china-importer
https://abc7news.com/business/latest-on-momentum-auto-group-and-advice-for-customers/5035857/

Our KFC folded Monday. Just locked the doors. Newer building in location about eight years. No loss. Pizza Ranch has better chicken and use real silverware. I wouldn't go in KFC because of those dorky spoon/fork thing that was worthless.

An Infinity dealer was going to be built locally in a field they prepped. However the plan fizzled.

Infinity likely will be sucked back into Nissan dealers as a guess and not exist standalone. Their sales and product line is in the toilet.

Originally Posted by madRiver
An Infinity dealer was going to be built locally in a field they prepped. However the plan fizzled.

Infinity likely will be sucked back into Nissan dealers as a guess and not exist standalone. Their sales and product line is in the toilet.

I do like the way some Infinity models look.

People identify with luxury brands ... and they know what a Mercedes, BMW or Audi is. Lexus has a stellar reputation as well.

Where it starts to get blurry is Infiniti / Acura. The top spec Honda's and Nissan's are so well equipped, the question becomes ... why bother ?

One, or both of these brands is going to go away soon ...

Originally Posted by geeman789
People identify with luxury brands ... and they know what a Mercedes, BMW or Audi is. Lexus has a stellar reputation as well.

Where it starts to get blurry is Infiniti / Acura. The top spec Honda's and Nissan's are so well equipped, the question becomes ... why bother ?

Would not be surprised if intfinity does not make 2021 if something does not change, it is a slow year in general in regards to car sales and I think like the housing bubble, it's just transitioned into the auto market and people were straddling themselves with auto debt....and like the housing market that bubble is starting to burst.

Originally Posted by domer10

Would not be surprised if intfinity does not make 2021 if something does not change, it is a slow year in general in regards to car sales and I think like the housing bubble, it's just transitioned into the auto market and people were straddling themselves with auto debt....and like the housing market that bubble is starting to burst.

Never really looked at Lexus or Infinity. They have fewer options so of course they're going to be more reliable and of course with fewer options, they're going to be cheaper. Don't care about cheap, I care about options.

Never really looked at Lexus or Infinity. They have fewer options so of course they're going to be more reliable and of course with fewer options, they're going to be cheaper. Don't care about cheap, I care about options.

What do you mean by fewer options? Once you get into a say a Lexus or Infinity even their base models have the "options" the average person is more than satisfied with. But what I don't get is a fully optioned Altima/maxima is less than a Infinity, and really a fully optioned maxima looks almost identical interior wise. This is where people are starting to get turned off.

What do you mean by fewer options? Once you get into a say a Lexus or Infinity even their base models have the "options" the average person is more than satisfied with. But what I don't get is a fully optioned Altima/maxima is less than a Infinity, and really a fully optioned maxima looks almost identical interior wise. This is where people are starting to get turned off.

Well things like 3 position power memory seats being standard for driver and passenger. Headlamp washers. They just had a shorter list of options. Granted even if they're available as options doesn't mean that many of them got sold. Mercedes also does crazy things like not only do the back seats fold down, but the cushions also flip up so that you get a flatter rear fold down seat instead of just the seat backs folding down like most cars.

Not so much that.
Honda and Toyota both have sterling reputations, Nissan not so much.
Most of the Lexus and Acura cars sold are rebadged versions of the parent brands.
This is true for Infiniti as well and when the parent brand has a checkered reputation, the luxury brand gains that as well.
Nissan has no real identity as a marque these days.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Not so much that.
Most of the Lexus and Acura cars sold are rebadged versions of the parent brands.
This is true for Infiniti as well and when the parent brand has a checkered reputation, the luxury brand gains that as well.

I would not call very many Inifiniti/Acura rebadged at all. They share some platforms and mechanicals that is about it. They are akin to VW vs Audi.

Nissan is junk and people finally realized putting lipstick on it with a different badge doesn't change that.

Originally Posted by A_A_G
Nissan is junk and people finally realized putting lipstick on it with a different badge doesn't change that.

They sell about 30,000 units a month of the Rogue.

That's about the same volume as the Ford Escape.

So-using your logic they must both be junk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Not so much that.

I would not call very many Inifiniti/Acura rebadged at all. They share some platforms and mechanicals that is about it. They are akin to VW vs Audi.

It's somewhat more true with Infiniti - the Q30/QX30 was a joint project with Daimler. The Mercedes CLA/GLA is the same car but built at Daimler plants in Germany, the Nissan version is made in England and the engine is also built in Tennessee for Alabama-built C-Classes. The Q50(G3x) and the old FX were based off the 370z's platform.

At least to Lexus' credit, Toyota has done a good job hiding the plebeian roots of their luxury cars. VW does the same for Audi. I can feel a little Honda in an Acura. The Japanese have gotten "entry-level" luxury down, I feel the CLA/GLA is somewhat of an insult. But then again, Audi and BMW are now fighting in the compact luxury segment with the A3/Q3 and Mini Cooper. Lexus just joined that arms race with the UX.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back