Additive Fallout / Separation Amsoil Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my diffs and transfer case oil with Amsoil 75W-90 "Gear Lube". I thought there was a little dirt on the outside of the bottles but looking closely after completing the job, there's a residue inside. I wish I'd noticed this before doing the job. I used a hand pump that draws from the middle of the bottle so likely none of this residue was pumped into the truck. I emailed pictures to Amsoil and they say it's probably additive fallout. The oil had been sitting on my shelf for probably 2-3 years and exposed to some very cold temps. Amsoil says their products have a 5 year shelf life.

Should I be planning to drain and refill with fresh fluid or is this really not a big deal? The gear oil I used was in clear bottles which is why I saw the residue. Had I unused their newer, solid grey colour bottles, I wouldn't have seen the fallout. I suppose I could send a sample for analysis before buying another 7 or 8 quarts at $19 each.

The moral of the story, don't hoarde oil for too long, especially at cold temps.

20191004_110519.jpg

20191004_105234.jpg

20191004_105138.jpg

20191004_105221.jpg

20191004_110503.jpg

The pictures of residue in those 2 bottles show what was combined out of 4 half empty bottles. The actual fallout in each individual bottle before combining would be a quarter to a half of what the pictures show.

I remember i purchased a few quarts of Redline D4, The fluid had a jelly like gel at the bottom of the container. It was a new purchase so i returned the fluid and they sent out a newer batch of the fluid, In my case the seller had the fluid it in my opinion to long.

I wonder how hot I'd have to microwave it etc to get those crystals to dissolve again. Would that have been an option before starting the job? Shaking the bottles does nothing to mix this as it's a hardened crystal like residue.

Originally Posted by Gannet167
I wonder how hot I'd have to microwave it etc to get those crystals to dissolve again. Would that have been an option before starting the job? Shaking the bottles does nothing to mix this as it's a hardened crystal like residue.

Do not attempt to microwave.

Set it in the sunshine or over a hot air register for 15 minutes and shake.

No big deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
in my experience, shaking does next to nothing to help.

Well no it isn't going back into solution in the bottle. But it does help to get everything that's in the bottle into the gearbox (or the sump) and when it warms up then it should dissolve.

Originally Posted by Audios
What if you drain a cup or so out, mix in the bottle, shake it up and pump back in?

I like that answer...….really soothes the OCD in me!
grin.gif

Those are old bottles. How old I don't know? Perhaps Mr. Pablo can help? Amsoil gear oil is Tier one.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Those are old bottles. How old I don't know? Perhaps Mr. Pablo can help? Amsoil gear oil is Tier one.
I would agree--those are old bottles. From at least 2010 forward, the bottles have been black for 75W-90 Amsoil.

Amsoil's reply to my email said the product code on the bottle is from Jan 2015.

Draining and remixing isn't really an option since there were multiple bottles, some had more, some had less separation. It's unclear how much of that stuff I'd have to mix with the front diff, the rear diff and the transfer case. That's assuming I could even get it to mix uniformly.

I guess I'll drain and refill, and chalk this up to an expensive "flush" and a learning experience.

The vehicle is a 4Runner, has open diffs and a Torsen transfercase. I chose the Amsoil Gear Lube for good cold temp performance (gets to -40 in my area), long life and no limited slip additive which I don't need or want. The latest bottle for this product is grey.

Thanks for the advice,

Originally Posted by kschachn
Will an oil even heat up in a microwave?

I am sure you are not serious right ???

lol.gif

All this talk of mixing, shaking and heating it up...if you can pour all of the ingredients into that diff, isn't the differential the ultimate mixer? I imagine after an hour those ingredients have been mixed and heated pretty well.

Delvac 1 does not have LSD adds … $33 for gallon jugs at Summit …
meant for HD equipment but the Porsche track guys like it too
(no crud left in bottoms)

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by kschachn
Will an oil even heat up in a microwave?
I am sure you are not serious right ???

lol.gif

Well, microwaves only heat up polar molecules so I didn't think it would heat up a non-polar hydrocarbon molecule.

I looked it up and no it would not, but motor oil is not just non-polar hydrocarbons so maybe it might heat up somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back