Do you have tpms on your winter wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got two vehicles that I don't have tpms for my winter wheels (corolla, silverado). I end up staring at the tpms light until spring at first it was annoying but I got used to it. I check my tire pressures on a regular basis and just couldn't justify the added cost.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I check my tire pressures on a regular basis and just couldn't justify the added cost.

That's not the primary reason for tpms. A warning from picking up a nail and dropping a psi every 10 minutes could prevent a side of the road tire change.

Nope, just electrical tape, and keeping an eye on them. Some vehicles disable systems without it though, like Honda for one.

I never did previously to my Jeep(in 5 sets), but the jeep system is really nice and it was $100 and no tpms registering shenanigans so I did it.

Its getting harder to not get tpms at discount tire, DTD, and tirerack.. if you order shipped and mounted/balanced on new wheels tirerack makes you buy them.
Which negates the major tirerack advantage.. free hunter roadforce balancing on wheel/tire sets.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Thankfully TPMS on wife's Q5 works without any physical hardware [...]
Yep. One of a few things than VAG do right.
Up to now...

I installed the sensors on the winter wheels for my old Ram... But two were DOA from the factory and I didn't feel like breaking the tires back down so I just stared at the light all winter and kept an eye on them manually. The GMC in my signature I have working sensors in those wheels but I could live without, GM just makes it too easy to reprogram and sync the sensors.

I am running TPMS on both the Tahoe and Malibu winter sets, they are both very easy to reprogram.

Last edited:
Yes, but mainly because I bought new alloy rims and tires. The TPMS units I obtained from Amazon.ca and the guys at Canadian Tire installed them on the new rims and used their programmer without much difficulty. One seemed to go haywire until I took the summer tires (with TPMS) that were in the back of the Burb and put them away. TPMS is an issue that get hashed over numerous times on this blog so I'll just not comment on that part of the discussion.
smile.gif

My wife's Outback: Yes. Put them in when I first had winter tires mounted.
My SL550: No. Although I may put them in this winter. Someone recently posted a source for pre-programmed TPMS sensors for less than $20 each. I'm not familiar with the brand, but at that price, I'm willing to take a chance.

Nope. And now it doesn't seem like my TPMS receivers work anymore, so the light is on all year round. I check my pressures the old fashioned way every week or two.

Yes, I have TPMS installed on both our vehicles snow tire sets.

The Explorer was an extra $100 at purchase for an aftermarket set of TPMS on aftermarket wheels, mounted by DTD. A $15 OEM tool and I can swap them on and off at my leisure.

The F150 was $65 for a set of OEM TPMS sensors, no additional charge when they were mounted, and the truck picks up the sensors automatically. Not putting them in meant an idiot dinger and message on the dash about every 10 minutes.

Yes, the steelies came with TPMS already installed so win for me.

Yep. Always had on both cars, which was no biggie as both cars were European cars.
Now on Toyota, I have to do all that ridiculous programming. Just one more reminder why this is last Toyota I ever bought.

Yep, and it's nice my Hyundai Kona AWD turbo has auto find feature. Zero programing, you do nothing. I bought my new sensors at Rock Auto (VDO brand - 433 MHz) Just put the tires on and even with new sensors and they find the sensor and just works and you don't have to do a thing. Just torque the lug nuts and start driving.

I don't run different tires in the winter but if I did they would have them, I think it's a great safety feature, in fact I've been looking into putting them on my 89 Sierra but most reviews on them kits aren't all that good and a bit pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back