Lubegard Platinum Dosage

I have a question about how much Lubegard Platinum i need to use, The instructions says use 1 ounce per quart of atf for the total capacity of the transmission. I have a 9 quart capacity system so do i use 9 ounces of lubgard platinum? I'm doing a drain and fill and that only use 5 quarts of transmission fluid so figured i need to use only 5 ounces of Platinum, Just trying to figure out the proper dose of Lubegard Platinum...Thanks.

Regardless of what you drain and add, if you need an ounce per quart and the transmission has 9 quarts........

Just dump the whole 10 oz bottle in. It won't hurt anything to have an extra ounce.

Ok cool, I thought about it but thought i would ask to make sure i'm not adding to much....Thanks

I wouldn't use Platinum, just use Red. MolaKule had some strong opinions against the makeup of the Platinum, and said Red was a better choice. I believe he said Platinum has a very heavy dose of friction modifiers, and that you couldn't really be sure what havoc it may wreak in your tranny until it was too late; Red is not friction-modified. I haven't had any issues with Red. Use 1 oz per total capacity.

1) What problem are you trying to solve?

2) LubeGard Platinum has friction modifiers that could cause wet-clutch clutch slippage;

3) If you have evidence of or suspect varnishing, LubeGard Red would be the proper additive.

Originally Posted by charmer37
I have a question about how much Lubegard Platinum i need to use
For best results: 0.

I use the red on every transmission that I have, problems or not. The Platinum is supposed to be a conversion fluid that turns regular atf into highly friction modified fluid. If you suspect heavy varnishing you can overdose the red at 2oz per quart of fluid.

Would Luibegard Red help protect newer transmissions that use Mercon LV / Dexron VI? I know Lubegard claims Red is compatible. I just wanted to know if it was worthwhile to add. One application has 87k miles and I wanted some extra protection. The other 2 applications have under 20k miles.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Would Luibegard Red help protect newer transmissions that use Mercon LV / Dexron VI? I know Lubegard claims Red is compatible. I just wanted to know if it was worthwhile to add. One application has 87k miles and I wanted some extra protection. The other 2 applications have under 20k miles.

IMO it is worthwhile to add, has a huge following, and is used by a lot of transmission shops. Opinions vary on using any kind of an additive though. So do your homework and base your decision on that.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Lubegard Red AFAIK is the only transmission additive to have ever been "certified"/recommended by OEMs, so you can use it with confidence. They talk about it on the product webpage.

I decided to tool around their site and I saw their proof of their "OEM". It was a circa 1993 SAAB TSB ! lol
lol.gif

Originally Posted by CARS magazine from 2009
When ILI developed its patented LXE® (Liquid Wax Ester) Technology and began packaging it in its currently world renowned LUBEGARD branded products it took the transmission rebuild industry by storm due to its ability to dramatically reduce comebacks. LUBEGARD particularly its ATF Protectant became the #1 used product by the transmission industry and automobile original equipment manufacturers (OEM's) took notice. Now over 20 years have passed and LUBEGARD ATF Protectant itself is now Used, Endorsed, Designated and Approved by eight OEM's!

Based in Seattle, Washington, ILI is a leading manufacturer of unique chemistries and related products for the automotive, industrial, and various other chemical markets. Currently holding more than 100 U.S. and foreign patents.

I agree they could be more open about which OEMs have approved it, but it's much greater than just SAAB from 1993.

I wouldn't use Platinum, just use Red. MolaKule had some strong opinions against the makeup of the Platinum, and said Red was a better choice. I believe he said Platinum has a very heavy dose of friction modifiers, and that you couldn't really be sure what havoc it may wreak in your tranny until it was too late; Red is not friction-modified. I haven't had any issues with Red. Use 1 oz per total capacity.
1oz per total fill of your transmission? What made you decide on the very small amount and did you notice improvements with that small of an amount?

Yes, old thread...

But LG Red has friction modifiers

LUBEGARD® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant is a concentrated additive package infused with superior seal conditioners and friction modifiers. This unique product restores additive content to used ATF and enhances new ATF resulting in improved performance and smoother, more consistent shifting. It can safely be added to any automatic transmission fluid (ATF) including full synthetic, semi synthetic, conventional, and low viscosity fluids except CVT, DCT, and Ford Type F [1986 and earlier models] LUBEGARD® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant is engineered to raise the thermal and oxidative stability level of automatic transmission fluids, so when it operates at elevated temperatures, it does not thin out and pyrolize, burn, or react with oxygen and form deposits. It is formulated with proprietary Liquid Wax Esters (LXE®) that are unique because of their natural lubricity, high viscosity index, and high flash and fire points. They have the ability to withstand repeated heating to temperatures as high as 570°F. LXE® gives automatic transmission fluid the extra lubricity needed for transmission’s unique frictional requirements. They improve heat conductivity, suppress foaming and, consequently, reduce transmission operating temperatures.

Yes, old thread...

LUBEGARD® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant is a concentrated additive package infused with superior seal conditioners and friction modifiers. This unique product restores additive content to used ATF and enhances new ATF resulting in improved performance and smoother, more consistent shifting. It can safely be added to any automatic transmission fluid (ATF) including full synthetic, semi synthetic, conventional, and low viscosity fluids except CVT, DCT, and Ford Type F [1986 and earlier models] LUBEGARD® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant is engineered to raise the thermal and oxidative stability level of automatic transmission fluids, so when it operates at elevated temperatures, it does not thin out and pyrolize, burn, or react with oxygen and form deposits. It is formulated with proprietary Liquid Wax Esters (LXE®) that are unique because of their natural lubricity, high viscosity index, and high flash and fire points. They have the ability to withstand repeated heating to temperatures as high as 570°F. LXE® gives automatic transmission fluid the extra lubricity needed for transmission’s unique frictional requirements. They improve heat conductivity, suppress foaming and, consequently, reduce transmission operating temperatures.
I see you have a new Highlander - I've got a 2019 model, and am debating whether or not to use a little bit of LG Red (like 2-3oz per 5 qt jug) for an upcoming fluid change (including the rear diff) [hybrid as well - 3.5L 2GR-FXS]. The fluid I'm going to use is Idemitsu TLS-LV. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, old thread...

Again, Marketing BS. The friction modification chemistry in an ATF (with the exception of "Type-F") is a very complex mix of chemistry. There is no way an additive aftermarket fluid can know the friction modification chemistry of the fluid it is going into. This is simply not logically meaningful nor technically feasible.

Lubegard Red's esters have been known to reduce glaze from clutch plates and varnish from valving because of their polar and cleaning nature. And it is only to be used if you have known problems or an under-serviced transmission. No aftermarket fluid can solve problems of extreme wear, poor design and programming, or under-servicing.

Platinum is a highly friction modified additive and as SubieRubyRoo stated it was used in the past as a "conversion" fluid when there were only a few major ATF choices. I strongly urge against its usage.

Last edited:
Again, Marketing BS. The friction modification chemistry in an ATF (with the exception of "Type-F") is a very complex mix of chemistry. There is no way an additive aftermarket fluid can know the friction modification chemistry of the fluid it is going into. This is simply not logically meaningful nor technically feasible.

Lubegard Red's esters have been known to reduce glaze from clutch plates and varnish from valving because of their polar and cleaning nature. And it is only to be used if you have known problems or an under-serviced transmission. No aftermarket fluid can solve problems of extreme wear, poor design and programming, or under-servicing.

Platinum is a highly friction modified additive and as SubieRubyRoo stated it was used in the past as a "conversion" fluid when there were only a few major ATF choices. I strongly urge against its usage.
Wait so would lubegard red change or alter or increase the amount of friction modifiers in an ATF?

Yes, it will.

Back