License plate on the trailer ramp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of guys put their license plate on the ramp of their utility trailers. Why not under the tail light?

Because it gets broken off in 0.5 seconds if you mount it in the "prescribed" location. Curbs, low spots, anything that would scrape an air dam on a sedan will rip it right off.

That, and people tend to abuse those trailers, too, so it's even worse.

I thought it was the law that it needed to be under that little light. I was thinking about moving mine cause it sticks out and is a liability to someone walking by.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I thought it was the law that it needed to be under that little light. I was thinking about moving mine cause it sticks out and is a liability to someone walking by.
. ^ I'm sure that's right but mine kept dragging and bending the license plate so I mounted it on the back of the ramp/gate. I haven't been pulled over for it yet.

You have to use the metal brackets, not the plastic ones. Actually if it's down by the fender it's probably water from driving that bends it.

I thought it was the law that it needed to be under that little light.

I suppose if you only use the trailer during daylight hours, that would never be a concern but then again, aren't plates reflective ? If a police officer is behind you at night, they will easily read your plate due to the reflectivity.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I noticed our son's license plate lights were out when he was leaving for work (3rd shift). I was parked behind him and had to move my car and saw they were out. Once I turned my headlights on, his plate was obviously readable and I told him not to worry and we'd deal with it the next day.

You could also mount a light on the ramp above the plate. Be sure to run both a power and ground wire. One nice thing about having it on the back side of the ramp is that it is absolutely protected during loading and unloading.

I've had bad luck putting it under the light. Stones kick up and catch it, or you end up smashing it into the ground on a steep driveway or while loading something into the back.

Mine is on the gate as well, it kept getting beat up under the light, bending & eventually cracking. I should put a light on it, but I'm already ahead of all the other guys with no plate at all...
crazy.gif

You're right, it technically is the law, but the cops in your area may or may not choose to enforce it. Front license plates are required by law on cars here, yet I see dozens of cars every day without them and I never hear of anyone getting a ticket for it. If you want to relocate your plate, go ahead and do it. If you want to keep it legal, then just install a light next to it that will light it up at night.

I was looking at the ramp today. There isn't room to mount it o. The ramp. The square tubing is spaced just a hair too close together.

Both of my trailers have it mounted under one tail light that has a clear lens on the bottom to shine on the plate. My fiancee's son got stopped when the license plate light was burned out on his truck and my daughter had the same thing happen with her car and is why I make sure my trailers have lights that shine on the plates. I don't need the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back