Car Dealer Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of odd, our Infiniti of Hanover MA abruptly closed. No warning just closed with a sign on the door. I think they have two other locations and I think I remember the sales
guy telling me they were bought a year or two ago by a larger company out of state.

They had a lot of nice cars on the lot, nice building and good location and a pretty affluent area.

Kind of weird to close with a piece of paper sign on the door.

How much money should be spent to announce the closing of a store? Would anyone buy a car there knowing they were about to close next week?

I hope nobody was owed money by them. It can be near impossible to get that once a business shuts down.

With how Infiniti sales have been recently, it's not all that surprising to see a dealer going under. Sales down 43% in September.

Maybe the McClaren dealer up the street took away their buisness
smile.gif

There are a lot of infinity dealers within a 25 mile radius

How many do you need?

The RT53 is overbuilt and congested - who is doing town development around there?

My wife's Family have been in Hanover since the 17 century on Main Street.

Can't get rid of them Pilgrims!

We were recently in for a new hybrid tranny...took 4 weeks. Service was a disaster with no updates, we would call every 4 days for an update.

If they were bought by one of the mega dealers then they're probably consolidating the dealerships down to one or two in an area. Less self-induced competition.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It is a major bummer to go to work and find a sign on the door.

Rod

Something similar happened to me my very first job. My dad knew a guy that owned a pizza place. I interviewed with the owner and got a job at a pizza place doing dishes and sweeping up. The owner said I would start in 2 days. Two days later, my dad drops me off at the pizza place and I walk inside. The owner my dad knew wasn't there. A new owner was there and said he just bought the place and didn't need my services.

My wife's gynecologist quit his practice with a sign on the door. He put a little ad in the paper that is practice was closed and all medical records would be available for retrieval for 2 weeks. He was gone.

Hopefully its a case of consolidation. We had a local Ford dealer here close up shop one day out of the blue. Turns out the owner was a crook and had been skimming money off the place and cooking the books.

What really sucked is that they were not paying off the notes on the trades they were taking in that had liens on them. This went on for about 6 months until the Authorities got involved. It all came crashing down on him and he was later caught heading to Mexico with a bag of cash in a Kia he took in on trade with his Dealer tags on it. Can't make this stuff up.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/i...isastrous-43-9-percent-to-7031-vehicles/

Originally Posted by carscoops
...The company's September sales report is disastrous and needs no commentary whatsoever. The brand sold only 7,031 vehicles last month, down 43.9 percent over the same month last year, when 12,536 units were delivered to U.S. customers.

For comparison, BMW and Mercedes-Benz each sold a little over 27,000 cars and SUVs in the U.S. last month, followed by Tesla with 23,025 units, Lexus with 18,860, Audi with 16,130, Cadillac with 12,093, and Acura with 11,098 units. The list of premium brands that outsold Infiniti in September also includes Lincoln (8,455 units) and Land Rover (7,488 units).

Just a hunch but I think if they would have continued evolving the VQ engine line, they would be doing better.

About 30 years ago I traded in a fairly new Toyota (I didn't like it) at a Chevrolet dealership for a new Chevrolet. I had a small loan remaining on the Toyota. About two months after my new car purchase I got a phone call from the bank wondering when I was going to make my next Toyota payment. I told them I traded the car in, at an actual Chevrolet dealership. I will never forget what the woman said, "You gave your car away to someone else. That's not our problem. The loan is between you and the bank You still owe us the money.".

I took me weeks to get this issue straightened out. The dealership eventually went bankrupt a few months later.

The moral of the story? Be careful when trading in a car that has a loan on it. I suggest calling your lender first.

Scott

I've specifically followed the QX50 long term review in Motor Trend. Between the new VC-T engine combined with CVT trans and buggy infotainment system, as much as any motor mag will, MT pretty much thrashed the QX50.

Lots of reasons a dealer would go out of biz, but the Infiniti badge right now doesn't seem to mean much as compared to competitors. As prior linked not helping Infinti dealer sales at this point.

That's basically one way that business shut down. They basically run out of money and just close up shop one day. Look at Thomas Cook, a large travel agency that had been around a long time, the whole chain just shut down one day stranding a bunch of travelers.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
That's basically one way that business shut down. They basically run out of money and just close up shop one day. Look at Thomas Cook, a large travel agency that had been around a long time, the whole chain just shut down one day stranding a bunch of travelers.

Basically this. If the business is going under with no plans to reorganize, what do they care who they leave in a lurch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back