Canadian Odometers in Kilometers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do vehicles sold in Canada have odometers reading in Kilometers? Or I guess I should say, is the US the only country where our odometers read in miles?

Originally Posted by ET16
U.K still uses miles.

Yeah we do. I still have no idea why considering we use the metric system for everything else.
33.gif

If I purchased a car from Canada and bring to US, would I have to change the odometer over to miles?

Most modern cars will allow you to toggle between imperial and metric units. I switch mine to metric while waiting in line at customs.

If you import a car from Canada, you do not need to change the odometer. I live ~65 miles from Canada, and there are plenty of Canadian cars in the auctions around here. Several friends have titled and registered them in NY with no changes required.

Really, really, off subject...kinda, but I bought an '88 Cougar off the showroom floor back in 1987. (In the USA) It had the digital dash and odometer, but he gauges were needle/analog.
The neat feature...at the time...was where you could push a button and everything would switch from MPH to kilometers per hour and the odometer would also switch from miles to kilometers with the push of a button.
Got about 300,000 miles out of that car without taking the oil pan or valve cover off.

A couple of months ago, we also sold a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee which said "This vehicle is for Canada use only" under the hood. It had a factory 120V block heater and the oil pressure and coolant gauge were metric.
Not sure how it ever got to be sold in the U.S., but it didn't bother me. IIRC, the speedometer was set for miles, but had kilometer numbers on the inside of miles numbers on the speedometer, just like a few other vehicles.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Originally Posted by ET16
U.K still uses miles.

Yeah we do. I still have no idea why considering we use the metric system for everything else.
33.gif

Why are tire diameters still in inches when the width is in metric?

Just confirming, yes, the odometers in Canadian sourced vehicles are in Kilometers and no, you do not need to change anything when importing them into the US. Used vehicles flow freely, duty free, across the Canadian border under the terms of the Canadian / US free trade agreement. There is some paper work required and you can do it yourself to get it across the border.Note, Canada does not use "Titles" so the importer would do the paper work to get a title issued. Not difficult.The whole process can be done at the border crossing. There are car carriers crossing the border daily south of my town. I like counting them while having coffee at Tim Hortons in Cranbrook.
smile.gif
. When the Canadian dollar is higher than the US dollar (such as in 2008), the carriers go in the opposite direction.

Like it was mentioned, modern cars can toggle between the two, and it's clear which is which. You might have to explain that to a potential buyer. By the way, both Canadian sourced and US sourced modern vehicles have both miles and km on the speedometer; ( look closely).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Used vehicles flow freely, duty free, across the Canadian border under the terms of the Canadian / US free trade agreement.

Only if they meet U.S. safety and emissions requirements. Wasn't able to "directly" import my Smart diesel a few years ago.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Used vehicles flow freely, duty free, across the Canadian border under the terms of the Canadian / US free trade agreement.

Only if they meet U.S. safety and emissions requirements. Wasn't able to "directly" import my Smart diesel a few years ago.

The vast majority meet those requirements. Have to admit a Smart Diesel is a bit off the wall.

Last edited:
Here's the rest of the story. I was looking at a car that was originally titled in Quebec. It's now titled in the US. Carfax shows the miles were 241,000 in November 2018 and now it shows in miles is 128,000. I did a conversion of the 241K into miles and that came to 149K.

I have walked away from the potential purpose but it got me to thinking if someway kilometers were converted to miles?

Originally Posted by Gebo
Here's the rest of the story. I was looking at a car that was originally titled in Quebec. It's now titled in the US. Carfax shows the miles were 241,000 in November 2018 and now it shows in miles is 128,000. I did a conversion of the 241K into miles and that came to 149K.

I have walked away from the potential purpose but it got me to thinking if someway kilometers were converted to miles?

I wonder if they swapped odo's in order to get mph readout. And not for any other reason...

Often wondered why all our Honda Navigation systems can be, and are set, to announce distance directions in meters and kilometers but the "voice" does not know how to say the word kilo. Says kilooo

In contrast, anyone seeing a weight, as in weightlifting and adding a plate on a bar for squat, knows how to say kilogram.

From Snagglefoot:

"Canada does not use "Titles" so the importer would do the paper work to get a title issued. Not difficult.The whole process can be done at the border crossing. There are car carriers crossing the border daily south of my town."

Learning new things well into geezerhood. What does Canada use in lieu of a title?

Originally Posted by csandste
From Snagglefoot:

"Canada does not use "Titles" so the importer would do the paper work to get a title issued. Not difficult.The whole process can be done at the border crossing. There are car carriers crossing the border daily south of my town."

Learning new things well into geezerhood. What does Canada use in lieu of a title?

A vehicle registration issued by the province in which the car is insured. When selling the car, the owner would sign the back of the registration slip and the new owner would take the slip to a registry office and they would issue a new vehicle registration under the new owner's name.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
From Snagglefoot:

A vehicle registration issued by the province in which the car is insured. When selling the car, the owner would sign the back of the registration slip and the new owner would take the slip to a registry office and they would issue a new vehicle registration under the new owner's name.

Don't mean to high jack this thread but my understanding is that the registration is in your car so (along with an insurance card) you can prove to a cop who owns the vehicle. The title is safely locked away at home. If the registration doubles as a title, what's to keep someone from stealing your car and selling it. (Understanding that Canadians are nicer and much more honest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back