Air hose fitting confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting to connect my reel to my compressor that's about 50' away. The compressor's ball valve as well as the reel's inlet are 1/2" fittings. The reels's hose is 1/2" with a 3/8" fitting on the end.

Will a 1/2" hose with 1/2" fittings be sufficient or will I need a 3/4" hose with 1/2" fittings? The latter seems like an overkill, but I don't want anything choked down either.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I'm wanting to connect my reel to my compressor that's about 50' away. The compressor's ball valve as well as the reel's inlet are 1/2" fittings. The reels's hose is 1/2" with a 3/8" fitting on the end. Will a 1/2" hose with 1/2" fittings be sufficient or will I need a 3/4" hose with 1/2" fittings? The latter seems like an overkill, but I don't want anything choked down either.
Thanks.

1/2" will be fine. The problem with large, high capacity hoses, (both air and water), is they are very heavy and bulky. Most of the time too much so to justify their increased capacity. They become more of a nuisance than a benefit. Unless you are running large, high volume air tools, or mounting and filling large tires, they're just not necessary.

Besides, you already have a 1/2" ball valve coming out of the compressor, so it's already restricted to 1/2" coming out of the tank. You won't gain any more airflow by going larger in between, unless you replace the ball valve to the same size.

Originally Posted by billt460
I'm wanting to connect my reel to my compressor that's about 50' away. The compressor's ball valve as well as the reel's inlet are 1/2" fittings. The reels's hose is 1/2" with a 3/8" fitting on the end. Will a 1/2" hose with 1/2" fittings be sufficient or will I need a 3/4" hose with 1/2" fittings? The latter seems like an overkill, but I don't want anything choked down either.
Thanks.

1/2" will be fine. The problem with large, high capacity hoses, (both air and water), is they are very heavy and bulky. Most of the time too much so to justify their increased capacity. They become more of a nuisance than a benefit. Unless you are running large, high volume air tools, or mounting and filling large tires, they're just not necessary.

Besides, you already have a 1/2" ball valve coming out of the compressor, so it's already restricted to 1/2" coming out of the tank. You won't gain any more airflow by going larger in between, unless you replace the ball valve to the same size.

Actually this is not 100% correct. Having a single 1/2" ball valve does not mean there will not be additional restriction imposed by using 1/2" hose vs 3/4" hose. In his case it will be hose he installs once and never moves or caries so weight and bulkiness is not an issue.

Having said that I assume 1/2" hose will be fine.

Originally Posted by Donald
Depending upon the air tool, there are high performance quick connect couplers that restrict less than the normal ones. I think from memory its Milton V

Milton V is the one.
thumbsup2.gif

Depending upon the air tool, there are high performance quick connect couplers that restrict less than the normal ones. I think from memory its Milton V

Good point. Even the best, (read largest I.D.) quick disconnect fittings restrict flow by having a much smaller I.D. than the hose that feeds them.

Thanks. This is my next step as I believe my Aircat 1150, as well as all my other lesser important pneumatics, have 1/4" fittings.

Thanks. This is my next step as I believe my Aircat 1150, as well as all my other lesser important pneumatics, have 1/4" fittings.

You will notice a big improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back