4 qts of this 4 qts of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 qts of Sunoco synthetic 0w20 Dexos 1 Gen 2 and 4 qts of Valvoline synthetic 0w20 Dexos 1 Gen 2. What are your thoughts on mixing all 8 qts for my next oil change? 2016 Silverado 5.3.

Do it without losing a minute of sleep. It's completely fine to mix within the same viscosity rating. Some even mix different viscosities without any ill effects. I did several frankenbrews in my 05 impala and it seemed to thrive on it.

It's your car, do what you want..but no performance guarantees can be made when you mix finished lubes.
For example the anti corrosion inhibitors or detergents in lube A could compete more aggressively for surface area than the AW pkg in lube B..so you've inadvertantly lowered the combined lubes wear protection. That's the law of unintended consequences.

If it were me I'd use the least amount of make up oil needed. This lessens the chance of any (in)compatibility issues from one lube formula to the next. (blenders obtain add pks from the likes of Oronite or Lubrizol that are compatible with a range of base oils in their portfolio so they don't have to test everytime)

Last edited:
You'll be absolutely fine. Both are quality oils with approvals, even better they are both the same viscosity and same specification.

My Mother has a Suzuki Jimmny with a Suzuki M13A and my Mother-In-Law has a Suzuki Swift with the same M13A. Both cars have had all sorts of questionable mixes over the years.

As an example, my Mothers Jimmny currently has something like 500ml Total Quartz 9000 0w30, 1 Litre Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A5, 500ml Shall Helix Ultra 5w40, 500ml Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 0w40 and 2 Litres Morris Lubricants HD4 15w40.

Both cars are squeaky clean under the covers and the VVT is fully operational, this is even despite my Mothers doing 'extended' intervals.

I never recommend blending different oils. The viscosity isn't the issue. The problem is base oil incompatibility and additive clash risks.

Every oil is formulated with a careful balance in the additive package to ensure no one additive overpowers and outcasts another. An example of this is anti-wear additives attempting to lay down a protective tribofilm on the same surface area the neutral detergents are trying to strip and clean. When you blend oils, you can easily upset that balance and cause additive clash with two different additive chemistries competing against one another rather than with one another.

I would pick up 4 quarts of each oil listed and do separate oil changes with them.

Originally Posted by SigShooter
I have 4 qts of Sunoco synthetic 0w20 Dexos 1 Gen 2 and 4 qts of Valvoline synthetic 0w20 Dexos 1 Gen 2. What are your thoughts on mixing all 8 qts for my next oil change? 2016 Silverado 5.3.

Well....

Valvoline actually makes the Sunoco motor oil...

So.... Those two oils are not from two totally different blenders. Like say Exxon and Castrol... I'd bet those two oils have a whole lot in common with each other.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Not a fan of mixing totally different add packs.....even if viscosities are identical.

Why?

Well, here's my opinion. I wouldn't do it on my newest cars but I would on my oldest cars. How's that for some weird psycho logic?

Based on what bbhero says, I would say you would not have any problem mixing the two. In your situation, I would mix them. Just make
sure you mix them all in a big container before you add them to your engine. LOL

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I never recommend blending different oils. The viscosity isn't the issue. The problem is base oil incompatibility and additive clash risks.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of mixing oil brands, but can you give us just one link where two oils clashed and bad things happened?

Originally Posted by Kruse
I'm not saying I'm a fan of mixing oil brands, but can you give us just one link where two oils clashed and bad things happened?

They won't cause damage if they are API listed oils, ASTM D6922 guarantees this. But at the same time the mixture may not meet any of the licenses, certifications or approvals on either container.

Originally Posted by Kruse

Because I always throw a box of cake mix Y w/eggs from one brand into a bowl with cake mix B w/eggs from another brand and always get a perfectly fluffy franken cake..so why shouldn't it work similiarly in my $10k engine!...‚...‚

Ok, all joking aside...
As a one off situation (like topping off) you'll likely not suffer any adverse effects of any noticeable consequence, when mixing different formulas from different mfgs. However, it must be stressed that the performance of the new brew can not be guaranteed - as I stated already. Additionally, chronic mixing can result in undesired effects, possibly even catastrophic. It's not so much the base oils that are the concern here since oil is oil, miscible for the most part*. But rather it's the additives.. for example additives in lube A might upset the acid/base balance of lube B for a unknown combined property. As mentioned, antiwear and detergents and corrosion inhibitors in a finished lube are carefully balanced so one doesn't crowd out the other when it comes to competing for surface space within the engine to do their job. Also incompatibilities in additives can result in the formation of solids which can lead to deposit formations. You can also get compatibility issues with seal swellers.

And no.. you're not likely to find a credible account of a mechanic walking out of a shop saying, "Oh my God.. mixing oils grenaded the engine".. not because it can't/doesn't happen but because a) how would the mechanic know the vehicle owner liked to play blender in his/her spare time and b) unless you've been tearing the engine down and measuring and weighing parts regularly, how can one attribute failure to the lube and not say low quality parts or a poor maintenance routine? It's (undesirable effects of mixing lubes) one of those things that any additive mfg and blender will tell you that it can be a problem (from a (in)compatibility standpoint) but in reality you'd likely never "see" the consequences of such actions.

From a practical standpoint... doing it once here and there (like topping off) is nothing to set your hair on fire about but as a long term practice it's not advisable. Check out the following article to learn more about some of the pitfalls and negatives of oil mixing.

mixing oils

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back