Castrol Edge 0W-40 lost LL-01?

Originally Posted by kschachn
If you don't believe my post then ask them yourself.
Many thanks for your cooperation.

I only asked because someone else (kinda like you) was having an issue believing it too.
Huh? Why?
"...in regards to listing approvals and distinguishing them from recomendations..."

Had you another sources as public datasheets? "distinguishing" is like differing, right?

I've pretty much stopped worrying about Longlife-01, if the oil has 229.5 or A40 then that's good enough for me.
And? This was/is also my opinion. LL-01 is no more relevant.
Thats not the question. The question is, I believe, by now, how many smart alecks I can collect in only one thread... (or something similar)

Bye. eod for me.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
The question is, I believe, by now, how many smart alecks I can collect in only one thread... (or something similar)

Bye. eod for me.

Yes, I know you care more about making a point or "catching" people than you do about actual facts. That is clear from your posting style and your responses.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by TiGeo
I know one oil that hasn't lost the LL-01....LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40!

Of course it did not. It is same oil since 2001.

Funny - I just looked on their site and it no longer has the LL-01 approval either! The last kit I bought has it on the bottle so must have just happened.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Yep. You cant lost LL01 if you not make changes in the formulation. But I mean its also approvals than you must renewed (?)

But you cant becomes LL01 new, because BMW no more permits LL01. This is therefore not a question of "lost" anything, like: with the new you are no more good enough. You simply cant becomes LL01 again, because LL01 no more existing for BMW.

edit:
LM LHT 5w40 (initial from Meguin) is a one of the best not-topend-priced 5w40 on the market. One of the few
whistle.gif
top oils from LM.

And according to their site, no longer carries LL-01. Falls into the "recommended for" category now.

https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/leichtlauf-high-tech-sae-5w-40-1.html#product-media-modal

And according to their site, no longer carries LL-01. Falls into the "recommended for" category now.

Are there are now any Liqui Moly products with actual Longlife-01 approval?

Are there are now any Liqui Moly products with actual Longlife-01 approval?

Just searched their site - the answer is "no". They have several that it falls under their "recommended for" category. Funny as this must have just changed in the last few weeks.

I know one oil that hasn't lost the LL-01....LiquiMoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40!

Funny - I just looked on their site and it no longer has the LL-01 approval either! The last kit I bought has it on the bottle so must have just happened.

What is the production date on the bottle you bought?

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

What is the production date on the bottle you bought?

May 2019

^^^another bottle I had with the kit had July 2019 production date. On LMs website, the product sheet was revised in July 2019; the last spec sheet that had the LL-01 approval was from 11/2018. I would wager that the formula is 100% unchanged, just didn't pay for the approval for something that is dated is all.

Last edited:
^^^another bottle I had with the kit had July 2019 production date. On LMs website, the product sheet was revised in July 2019; the last spec sheet that had the LL-01 approval was from 11/2018. I would wager that the formula is 100% unchanged, just didn't pay for the approval for something that is dated is all.

They are introducing a new LL-01 product this year:

https://www.liqui-moly.us/en/press/...ew-engine-oils-from-liqui-moly-4402.html

Originally Posted by The Critic

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Did ya notice it was LL01FE (API SL)? Kudos to LM for dipping their toe in the LL01FE market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PPWarrior
Stick to Mobil 1. Best oil, always getting attacked by the competition (SOPUS), therefore you know which is the beast Mobil 1

Funny how I always read everyone say Mobil 1 but then I find a thread with actual specs being discussed and everyone says Mobil 1 is not the best lol.

I was in Walmart this weekend and the Castrol 0W-40 EUROPEAN FORMULA wasn't around.

But I noticed a 5W-40 U.S. for about the same price and it is LL-01 approved. It's "Made in U.S.A. from domestic and imported components". API SN, ACEA A3/B4, BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approved 229.3, Porsche A40 and VW 502 00/505 00.

MSDS:
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic64742-54-7â¥25 - â¤50
Lubricating oils (petroleum), C15-30, hydrotreated neutral oil-based72623-86-0â¤10
Lubricating oils (petroleum), C20-50, hydrotreated neutral oil-based72623-87-1â¤10
Distillates (petroleum), solvent-refined heavy paraffinic64741-88-4â¤

I'm not sure that's as good as the old 0W40 European Formula.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mark963
I was in Walmart this weekend and the Castrol 0W-40 EUROPEAN FORMULA wasn't around.

But I noticed a 5W-40 U.S. for about the same price and it is LL-01 approved. It's "Made in U.S.A. from domestic and imported components". API SN, ACEA A3/B4, BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approved 229.3, Porsche A40 and VW 502 00/505 00.

MSDS:
Lubricating oils (petroleum), C15-30, hydrotreated neutral oil-based72623-86-0â¤10
Lubricating oils (petroleum), C20-50, hydrotreated neutral oil-based72623-87-1â¤10
Distillates (petroleum), solvent-refined heavy paraffinic64741-88-4â¤

I'm not sure that's as good as the old 0W40 European Formula.

Better oils around, including Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle.

FYI, Castrol Edge 5W-40 now has MB-approval 229.5 based on the latest PDS from Castrol and MB website confirmation.

Originally Posted by drtyler
FYI, Castrol Edge 5W-40 now has MB-approval 229.5 based on the latest PDS from Castrol and MB website confirmation.

They updated PDS but not yet web site with product information.
Still looks mediocre based on numbers.

The only numbers that mean anything to me are:

Longlife-01
ACEA A3/B4
MB-Approved 229.3
MB-Approved 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00/505 00

Which of those constitute "mediocre"?

The only numbers that mean anything to me are:

Longlife-01
ACEA A3/B4
MB-Approved 229.3
MB-Approved 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00/505 00

Which of those constitute "mediocre"?

The fact that KV is bumped to 14.1 and HTHS stayed at 3.7cp. NOACK is still 11%.

Last edited:
Back